That feeling you get when your system is dialed in and you know it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever done the slow hunched over creep to the tank, teeth clenched a little, hoping all is fine, but expecting to see some clean and pure skeleton somewhere?
Haha...no. I have had swings though and wondered what I would find each day for a week. The biggest difference is..its not my bread and butter or I would probably be right there with you at times.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daily routine still includes checking for random corals deaths first thing in AM and using a blacklight to check for random tissue lost at night…. I don’t think I’ll ever not be paranoid…

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough this is why I got out of keeping stony corals in general, the rollercoaster ride. Things so well for months or years and it’s amazing with only minor setbacks. Then boom, you have no idea why but have a stn event across the tank.

Waking up and going to the tank to see if all is ok every morning just isn’t for me, and it’s my nature to do so.

Just too much for me. I applaud others who bounce back but after a decade or two of it have moved to softies and nems and Neil you don’t get that feeling from almost daily growth, I’m so much happier overall.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Funny enough this is why I got out of keeping stony corals in general, the rollercoaster ride. Things so well for months or years and it’s amazing with only minor setbacks. Then boom, you have no idea why but have a stn event across the tank.

Waking up and going to the tank to see if all is ok every morning just isn’t for me, and it’s my nature to do so.

Just too much for me. I applaud others who bounce back but after a decade or two of it have moved to softies and nems and Neil you don’t get that feeling from almost daily growth, I’m so much happier overall.
You said it, my friend reminds me of a write I did quite a few years back.. Almost forgot about this one

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's one of the reasons I love sps, its really challenging and you have to stay ontop of things. Even when you have everything right you may loose a coral for seemingly no reason at all. Just gotta roll with the punches and keep pushing forward.
IMG_20230821_201930_145.jpg

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one of the reasons I love sps, its really challenging and you have to stay ontop of things. Even when you have everything right you may loose a coral for seemingly no reason at all. Just gotta roll with the punches and keep pushing forward.
You are exactly right! Turns out that just isn’t for every personality type!

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I probably went years with doing nothing special.... tested water twice a year, growing SP out the top... all was great.

The last 5 months have been a pita....... giant snail died and went toxic, and I'm still recovering...

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I probably went years with doing nothing special.... tested water twice a year, growing SP out the top... all was great.

The last 5 months have been a pita....... giant snail died and went toxic, and I'm still recovering...
Oh, that sucks sorry to hear it. the only solace in situations like that is that you at least know what happened and your not scratching your head.

years back I had a big rabbit fish in my backup system just disappear. the tank was on auto pilot for months just chugging away doing great until one day It wasn't. I didn't notice that the fish was gone probably for a month or two.

pretty much crashed the whole thing. I mean lost tons of stuff never found a trace the fish either. It was just completely gone.

I honestly think I am also still recovering from that one. It was brutal.

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that sucks sorry to hear it. the only solace in situations like that is that you at least know what happened and your not scratching your head.

years back I had a big rabbit fish in my backup system just disappear. the tank was on auto pilot for months just chugging away doing great until one day It wasn't. I didn't notice that the fish was gone probably for a month or two.

pretty much crashed the whole thing. I mean lost tons of stuff never found a trace the fish either. It was just completely gone.

I honestly think I am also still recovering from that one. It was brutal.
The little things always kill you, No matter how big your system

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

ah yes. I know that "seemingly no reason" well my good friend. you are 100% right though. just try to focus on the good and keep moving ahead.

If I have 1000 frags that look good and one or two skeletons among them, as neurotic as it can make me, I try not too dwell on them too hard or long.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back