That Random Nano!

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day one for the torch from the 4’ is looking alright (the second head hasn’t opened but I may have pulled it out too late for that head). Hopefully the second revives and doesn’t do too badly, I mean it’s out more than it was in the 4’ so I’m having hopes I removed the flatworms.
image.jpg

And Day 2 for the Gold. I’m still unsure what it is as it’s not dragon soul or hellfire - The top torch is hellfire. Possibly an Aussie or B-Grade HG.
image.jpg
This looks like my normal Indo Gold imo

IMG_3741.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like my normal Indo Gold imo

IMG_3741.jpeg
I’d agree but the tips don’t match an indo gold as they are bright green. The tentacles also are only about 1/2-3/4 of a weakish gold.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
IMG_6768.jpeg

Enjoy some photos from this tank this morning! When my desk is completely painted I may get some photos front on with the dark blue desk.
Do like me, take a picture and crop it to the tank.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get a photo of my Fireshrimp and my Yellow Clown Goby wanted to be involved, so obviously I just had to get one of him!
IMG_6789.jpeg

And of course a photo of the shrimp :)
IMG_6788.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get a photo of my Fireshrimp and my Yellow Clown Goby wanted to be involved, so obviously I just had to get one of him!
IMG_6789.jpeg

And of course a photo of the shrimp :)
IMG_6788.jpeg
Unfortunately one of the yellows vanished a few days ago so I’ve declared him dead as I don’t believe he ate and he has yet to reappear. So I did get a third today after spotting him hiding, I now have Okinawae, Acicularis and… A ‘Red’ one (I believe it should’ve been yellow but came in unusually red).

Plus a new coral :)
image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately one of the yellows vanished a few days ago so I’ve declared him dead as I don’t believe he ate and he has yet to reappear. So I did get a third today after spotting him hiding, I now have Okinawae, Acicularis and… A ‘Red’ one (I believe it should’ve been yellow but came in unusually red).

Plus a new coral :)
image.jpg
Well, got it into the tank and he looked fairly dusty. It’s now after lights out and he looks alright.

The trio is back together! Red/Rusty Brown, Yellow and Black!
IMG_6845.jpeg

IMG_6844.jpeg

IMG_6843.jpeg

And of course, my new Coral - Acropora formosa!
image.jpg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t it fun when your clams are too good at their job?
image.jpg

Although, I did learn something new about clams today. Did you know they are that good of a filter feeder that they also filter bacteria and disease from the water column. They’re almost like the huge UV sterilisers we use!

Last edited:
OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever thought of going back to purely the basics?

I saw a gorgeous tank (mixed reef with Acros and Softies), and it only had a light and a bit of movement through the rocks. No skimmer or external filter, purely relying on the rock work and it’s filtration. So I thought I’d try it on my nano. And today I have removed the external filter and my skimmer won’t run with the cup.
All I will rely on is the rocks, a UV and my clams as filters. Nothing else will filter water instead it will cool it down or dose.
Here’s the tank, the pipes go down to my chiller and into my UV and then back in the tank. My skimmer remains cupless so it won’t collect the skimmate and instead it’ll go into the tank (My nitrates and phosphates were 0 when I tested so I did make sure this route would be suitable). Everything else however, will be left through water changes or dosing.
IMG_7057.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tanks are looking good.

Curious if you have tried hydrogen peroxide for the cyno? I tried on my 10 gallon and it was gone in a week. It’s been a couple months now.
I have yet to try it but I’m unsure of the strain I have as it is fairly resistant to most ‘attacks’.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right you are. I got lucky with my strain. It’s worth a shot
Just wondering, how did your corals react? I try avoid chemicals in fear of my corals stripping - I had a bad experience with Melafix in a reef.

lubeck

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering, how did your corals react? I try avoid chemicals in fear of my corals stripping - I had a bad experience with Melafix in a reef.
My 10 gallon is a softy/ nem tank with sexy shrimp and some other inverts.

no issues at all. I was super nervous about it but after the first dose I calmed down. No immediate change when I dosed. Just kept the air stone going and it was good after dosing for 3-4 days. Heavier cyno probably would have taken more doses.

edit. It was a mix of cyno and Dino’s and it took care of both.

Last edited:

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t it fun when your clams are too good at their job?
image.jpg

Although, I did learn something new about clams today. Did you know they are that good of a filter feeder that they also filter bacteria and disease from the water column. They’re almost like the huge UV sterilisers we use!

Nice work! Maybe I should get me a clam.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im bad at keeping both of my build threads going haha, it’s always one tank that has something exciting and the other is just ‘meh’. However, here’s my update for this week;
I got a true ID of my Astreopora and it’s Astreopora cf. Montiporina. And I got a good photo of my Maxima even with blues taking over!
IMG_7221.jpeg

IMG_7222.jpeg

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 46 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back