That Random Nano!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
But for the positive note, they both made it home safely. Aren’t they just gorgeous, Koumansetta rainfordi.
IMG_8135.jpeg

This is my second attempt with this genus as I had a Hectori in my max nano.
IMG_9494.jpeg
Hector's and Court Jester are so cool! I'm getting 1 for the new tank (if I ever get the new tank...)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hector's and Court Jester are so cool! I'm getting 1 for the new tank (if I ever get the new tank...)
I know right! I love that genus but didn’t really plan on them as I was unsure how they’d work - now I’ve managed to keep a mandarin thriving among other pod eaters I am ready to attempt them again.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I know right! I love that genus but didn’t really plan on them as I was unsure how they’d work - now I’ve managed to keep a mandarin thriving among other pod eaters I am ready to attempt them again.
My last Hector's went from 5 to th 75 to the 125. He was always picking at algae but he hid a lot - the Tomini chased him I think. The 70 won't have a Tang most likely. I'll move the Lawnmower over and get either a Jester or Hector.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with all fish, one is incredibly shy currently and the other is happy to just chill around the tank.
IMG_8142.jpeg

IMG_8141.jpeg

IMG_8140.jpeg

IMG_8143.jpeg

IMG_8145.jpeg

And a cheeky photo of Mandy, isn’t she looking stunning!
IMG_8139.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aha! I thought as much. You went with the Court Jesters.
Yep! I would love a mixed pair with a Rainfordi and Hectori but instead went for a pair of Rainfordi as I’ve never had experience with them in my own tanks, it’s only ever been the Hectori.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my Court Jester. Hopefully, you have a better experience than I did. Mine perished in about six weeks. It was constantly eating algae and picked at pellets so I *think* it ate enough. The vendor told me it may have died due to swinging parameters...not sure

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my Court Jester. Hopefully, you have a better experience than I did. Mine perished in about six weeks. It was constantly eating algae and picked at pellets so I *think* it ate enough. The vendor told me it may have died due to swinging parameters...not sure
My two are both now beginning to do their cyano cleaning duties, maybe I’ll have a nice white sandbed now!

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just got home a few minutes ago… My clam is looking bad.
He still reacts to light so maybe there’s hope?

I feel bad as I think I did the RO bath too long and also didn’t think about the TDS of my LFS’s RO/DI filters.
IMG_8134.jpeg
I’m so sorry. I feel like it’s all my fault for suggesting that treatment. I’m so sorry. I know how much that clam meant to you.

I took that treatment from @OrionN 30 min RO/DI bath. I even did the treatment to my baby clam for 45 minutes and it’s still alive. I did the bath 2 times in a week, the first was only 30 minutes.

OrionN says clams will 100% die from PMD without treatment. It looked like PMD to me. I’m so sorry.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so sorry. I feel like it’s all my fault for suggesting that treatment. I’m so sorry. I know how much that clam meant to you.

I took that treatment from @OrionN 30 min RO/DI bath. I even did the treatment to my baby clam for 45 minutes and it’s still alive. I did the bath 2 times in a week, the first was only 30 minutes.

OrionN says clams will 100% die from PMD without treatment. It looked like PMD to me. I’m so sorry.
It’s not your fault - The treatment seemingly worked for the PMD but the TDS was likely not 0 and harmed the clam itself.

Also, taking it out of the water and into the bucket could have harmed the clam itself as it was out of water for a few seconds and spat at me whilst it was in transit to the RO.

I also read the same article of PMD and its cures from Orion, so even if you hadn’t suggested it I likely would’ve done a FW dip. Honestly, out of the two clams my deresa meant a lot more as he was with me for 2-3 years now. Whereas the Maxima has been with me for only a year so I’ve gained less attachment to it.

And on the upside, I now can gain either another maxima and a crocea, two crocea or two more maxima ;)

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I did just remember is that I used a week old RO so although it was pushed down to 0TDS, it likely would’ve gone up slightly in the last week just before I did the dip.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TDS isn’t the issue. Dust and debris can rise standing RO/DI TDS. The main issue is removing copper and other heavy metals. Standing water won’t absorb heavy metals, but an exhausted Di resin can allow them to pass through the piping.

I’m not saying your water was the issue. It may or may not have been. I’ve frankly trying to understand why this tank just randomly crashed. It’s not only the maxima that lost. You lost the derasa and a bunch of other corals. You got a huge dino and cyano bloom. Something isn’t right, and I have been trying to brainstorm why since the first post about it was made.

It’s obviously not your fault at all. It was chugging along great and then BOOM!

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TDS isn’t the issue. Dust and debris can rise standing RO/DI TDS. The main issue is removing copper and other heavy metals. Standing water won’t absorb heavy metals, but an exhausted Di resin can allow them to pass through the piping.

I’m not saying your water was the issue. It may or may not have been. I’ve frankly trying to understand why this tank just randomly crashed. It’s not only the maxima that lost. You lost the derasa and a bunch of other corals. You got a huge dino and cyano bloom. Something isn’t right, and I have been trying to brainstorm why since the first post about it was made.

It’s obviously not your fault at all. It was chugging along great and then BOOM!
Honestly, what I remember changing was from AFR to Ph Plus (after being told to change over for a while), then I also got told that the fish death was likely from a temperature spike to which I found a spike in temperature but that had no specific date on it. I have gone into the history in the last week and the exact same spike occurred so I have no idea when that spike truly was as it could’ve been months prior to the crash and gone unnoticed.

I had the tin issue however I managed to lower it slowly and last time I checked it was from 90+ down to 19 last time I checked - In the middle of November. Prior to the crash.

What I believe killed the fish was Ammonia from the coral death and I believe PMD wiped out the Deresa (and then also began on the Maxima - but then I did the dip and well, it’s not looking too good.
The Cyano bloom is dying back and being taken over slowly by Hair algae. So I got the two Rainfordi to help (and also the colours on them are beautiful).
Fish loss from what I know was an Isosceles Fairy Wrasse and Pink Streak Wrasse - both showed issues of ammonia during the crash. The Leopard recovered but also showed signs of ammonia.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is up and sifting the sand early :)

This tank was originally intended to be Wrasse dominant… It’s now Goby dominant with Wrasses close behind. But hey, they’re full of personality and each one is different!
IMG_8150.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy is up and sifting the sand early :)

This tank was originally intended to be Wrasse dominant… It’s now Goby dominant with Wrasses close behind. But hey, they’re full of personality and each one is different!
IMG_8150.jpeg
Now the second has come out and is chilling with the other. It’s hard, I don’t know if I prefer the hectori as I used to but I also had never owned this species. Whilst the gold on the Hectori glows, the orange on these guys is subtle yet you can still see it quite clearly.
IMG_8153.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now the second has come out and is chilling with the other. It’s hard, I don’t know if I prefer the hectori as I used to but I also had never owned this species. Whilst the gold on the Hectori glows, the orange on these guys is subtle yet you can still see it quite clearly.
IMG_8153.jpeg
Well, this photo was from this morning however I got home and the cyano looked similar to this - maybe slightly worse but not too much worse.

I left the tank alone for maybe 3 hours at the most… look how clear it is! Those guys seem to be doing their job faster than expected on the sand.
IMG_8156.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photo of the tank this morning, look how clear the sand is! There’s a bit of red hints now however it’s incredibly minimal. Considering this tank was literally overrun by it just 5 days ago shocks me.
IMG_8163.jpeg

Also, @Miami Reef any ideas if this can recover? He reacts to light and is extending. He just has the giant hole in the middle of the mantle and the filter.
IMG_8164.jpeg

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photo of the tank this morning, look how clear the sand is! There’s a bit of red hints now however it’s incredibly minimal. Considering this tank was literally overrun by it just 5 days ago shocks me.
IMG_8163.jpeg

Also, @Miami Reef any ideas if this can recover? He reacts to light and is extending. He just has the giant hole in the middle of the mantle and the filter.
IMG_8164.jpeg
I'm not an expert on clams but unfortunately when i see them at my LFS like this they usually die

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back