The 6 Gallon Frogfish Tank

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction:
This is my 6 gallon Fluval Edge, it used to house a tiny Manilensis puffer but he has outgrown it and now lives in a larger tank. Next I will be putting my Painted Frogfish (Antennarius Pictus) in here along with soft corals, Macroalgae and NPS corals.
D401ABF1-FDC3-4ED7-826B-606E67971D80.jpeg
I’m hoping to have the frogfish in here next weekend and will be adding stuff from another tank every day, you may be thinking this tank is too small for a frogfish, and it definitely is for an adult, but right now he is quite small, and has been living in my sump for about 6 months, here he is next to my thumb:
69C389A4-7940-464D-8C4F-C7E8A17C0893.jpeg
I will keep everyone updated on how things are going, the most important part about this is avoiding stress on the fish during the move as these fish usually don’t acclimate to a new environment very well.

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's a cute little guy! I've got a Pico 2.5 gallon with a Greissenger Goby and honestly I think it's the perfect size for him!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are so cool, I have a black barred circus goby and he has quite the personality, trying to be find him a mate.
I absolutely love him! He puts on a show once in a while fanning his fins and it's really cool to watch! I'd love to try breeding them!!

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any captive bred Frogfish?

Cool little tank OP
There are captive-bred frogfish, but not from the genus Antennarius. Long story short, frogfish have two different reproduction methods: spawning and brooding. Brooding species (like the marble-mouth frogfish) are easier to raise and have been captive-bred (in Germany), but - to my knowledge - of the spawning species only Antennarius pictus (the painted frogfish) has been reared in captivity before (and it was larvicultured, not aquacultured - meaning the eggs were collected already spawned and fertilized from the wild).

Unless I’m mistaken, it was only reared one time, and it was noted that it was difficult to raise the larvae through flexion:

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are captive-bred frogfish, but not from the genus Antennarius. Long story short, frogfish have two different reproduction methods: spawning and brooding. Brooding species (like the marble-mouth frogfish) are easier to raise and have been captive-bred (in Germany), but - to my knowledge - of the spawning species only Antennarius pictus (the painted frogfish) has been reared in captivity before (and it was larvicultured, not aquacultured - meaning the eggs were collected already spawned and fertilized from the wild).

Unless I’m mistaken, it was only reared one time, and it was noted that it was difficult to raise the larvae through flexion:

Very cool, thank you!

1684332289490.png

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I added some gracilaria from my refugium as well as a Scutus Antipodes. (Also from my refugium) added some Kenya tree frags the mother colony dropped recently too, I might get a few things from seahorsesavvy to make him feel at home,
097D4FF2-7A05-4026-98D1-21EE77386D67.jpeg
A6C0D9B5-814E-4490-AFD4-C32FBCEABA4D.jpeg

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acclimating the frogfish today! Made sure he has a full belly in case he doesn’t accept food for a while,
E18F4652-38EB-4599-90E8-F1582128E723.jpeg

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today he seems to be doing well, he has been hiding in the gracilaria throughout the night and isn’t showing any signs of stress
6BBD1CAB-7DC6-4A93-BC41-5D01DC572994.jpeg
044800F1-D5E7-4BE1-8F0B-F595E4A60708.jpeg

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Introduction:
This is my 6 gallon Fluval Edge, it used to house a tiny Manilensis puffer but he has outgrown it and now lives in a larger tank. Next I will be putting my Painted Frogfish (Antennarius Pictus) in here along with soft corals, Macroalgae and NPS corals.
D401ABF1-FDC3-4ED7-826B-606E67971D80.jpeg
I’m hoping to have the frogfish in here next weekend and will be adding stuff from another tank every day, you may be thinking this tank is too small for a frogfish, and it definitely is for an adult, but right now he is quite small, and has been living in my sump for about 6 months, here he is next to my thumb:
69C389A4-7940-464D-8C4F-C7E8A17C0893.jpeg
I will keep everyone updated on how things are going, the most important part about this is avoiding stress on the fish during the move as these fish usually don’t acclimate to a new environment very well.
Nice tank

So cute yet funky looking

OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also added an orange sponge crab, marcelcoma trispinosum. have been looking for one and my lfs had just got him in!

80F9F61E-1577-4A3A-87A1-D36003F108D9.jpeg

he has taken a liking to the Kenya tree already so I guess I’ll keep an eye on him, if he causes issues I’ll just Sump him.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: turns out the crab doesn't like the frogfish too much, they were doing fine all week, even sitting side by side but then yesterday, right in front of me he attacked the frogfish, just latched on to him out of nowhere, i separated them and the crab is now in a jar inside the tank, i also tried feeding the frogfish for the first time since moving him but he didn't seem too interested, maybe the crab is bothering him too much and stressing him out? i was kind of thinking of turning my refugium into a display fuge and putting the frogfish back in there since he was doing so well, and converting this tank into an invert tank, i'd like another opinion though, i'm gonna keep trying to feed him but that's an idea i'm considering, i want to avoid stressing him out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReeferHD

ReeferHD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update 2: decided to move the frogfish back to the sump, he was just too stressed in the nano, and i'm happy i did because the night i moved him he ate! he looks so much more comfortable in the sump, i think it's because it's so enclosed and he knows that when i open the door it's time to eat, he even puts his lure out. as for the 6 gallon, i decided i'm going to make it an invert/uncommon nano fish aquarium, i will continue updates about the frogfish as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back