The Angel Lovers Thread

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 6 inch Blue Face and I am getting ready to add a 5 inch Imperator after it gets out of QT.
I wonder how that's going to work out? I'm kind of nervous. Thoughts?
I have always heard blueface were shy and emps are quite boisterous. You might have a battle on your hands. I would have a contingency plan to remove the emp if aggression becomes an issue.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20220131_155421.jpg

Rolled the dice with a 2nd navarchus, and they have finally started to play nice. Hoping they will pair up.
I love it when people add large angels to reef tanks! Gives me hope I can too achieve this.

Love the build thread btw... the school of dispar anthias looks great!!

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t thinks so. My fishes are primary in my tank. I don’t have expensive corals. Just clams and anemones. Nothing bother my carpets unless they want to die. And nothing bothers the clams much.
both species hardly peck at corals other than the Kenya tree, but not enough to be useful at control this pest Coral. They just love flakes and pellets and I feed my tank 8 times a day so they hardly have to eat anything else.
That’s good to hear that they are leaving your clams alone. I’ve always been fearful that they’ll nip at the clam’s flesh. I had just resigned to getting the angels and going without clams. This gives me hope.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love it when people add large angels to reef tanks! Gives me hope I can too achieve this.

Love the build thread btw... the school of dispar anthias looks great!!

Thanks so much, still have 3 or 4 angels I want to add, but may have to wait til I can upgrade - tank is getting really full of fish.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For pomacanthus, does anyone know when sex change occurs? Is sex change timing correlated with after or during onset of adult color change?

Interested in attempting to pair an adult (to be acquired) with existing juvenile.

Thanks!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For pomacanthus, does anyone know when sex change occurs? Is sex change timing correlated with after or during onset of adult color change?

Interested in attempting to pair an adult (to be acquired) with existing juvenile.

Thanks!
From what I’ve seen in this thread people try pair their adults with smaller juveniles because the newer juvenile will be a definite female (Even better chances if it’s only an inch or so). I think the male/female part is depending on how dominant it is in the tank and if it’s the only one in the tank.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I’m curious about is how long or when in a fish’s color transformation can they begin transitioning to male. Can they become males as juveniles, sub adults during color transition, or only as adults…

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

If pairing I'd try to get as large a size difference as you can. It still may not go well. I have no idea when they change sexes, but the "for sure" male large angels I've kept had to be fairly old based on their size and gill spine size.

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows this spine size? Possibly a male?

Well it's pretty big! To be honest, I've not had much luck with emperors. I have kept 6 or 7 in tanks ranging from 300 to 10k gallons. Some wouldn't tolerate other pomacanthus sp. at all (near death within hours), and some have handled being in with others just fine after the initial pi**ing match. I've kept paired gobies, butterflies, angels, wrasses, just about everything, successfully and not successfully, and it usually comes down to the individual fish more than anything.

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
^^^
Let me pm you. Talking about Michael having 10in male Meridithi and Doublayi? ( I am trying to learn their scientific name, forgiven me for my wrong spelling in time it will get better)
I would love to but I like to raise them.
I am having difficulties coming to terms to already getting a adult male. But if you want a male that's only way to go.

Now I have Meridithi, Doublayi under 3in.
I am growing them to 6in than pairing them. I have heard they grow slow so I am thinking 15months to hit 6in to 7in female.
Then pair all these angels with 8 to 10in males.
I would also like a 10ft tank at that time. I do have 400g atm 72x24x36 , 100g etc.

But plans are 120x36x36 when males are ordered.
I use to buy fishes but now I adopt them.
With under 2inches Majestic, regal, burgess, cortez,, venustus it feel like adoption.

Picking up Sunday. Lfs in LI is holding it.

IMG_4250.jpg IMG_4248.jpg IMG_4249.jpg IMG_4255.jpg IMG_4254.jpg IMG_4253.jpg IMG_4260.jpg

ssdawood

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This has always been a very beautiful fish, it has elegance but no more than a Conspic angelfish, your selection of Chaetodontoplus is magnificent.
Thank you.
This is all from r2r. Been getting inspired from amazing guys here.

To tell you truth I thought Conspic looks ugly. Not at all beautiful.
Meredithi and Doublayi look amazing on paper and TV screen.

But if you see a conspic in person I am sure you will change your opinion. This is for people like me who think they are ugly.
I was lucky Dr Matt at Poma labs helped me getting one.

For someone who hasn't seen a Conspic in real life please do.
They coloration is equally impressive compared to Meredithi and Doublayi or Personifier etc

Pictures don't do Conspic justice. Now I understand why it is holy grail for some. I was ignorant.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back