The Angel Lovers Thread

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any long term Asfur keepers? Do they get big, as in anywhere near the 16” online?

I love me some angels. Top ones are:
Majestic
Goldflake
Regal
Bandit
Blueline

In no order. Asfur would be = to one of them.

Dwarfs harder to pick, in my place we don’t get as many Centropyge species and since I prefer tank bred, some of them are the more difficult species like Multibar, Venusta and Colini. Lack of BIOTA CB options like the Coral Beauty which leaves me with CB Lemonpeels from Bali Aquarich.
I’m intrigued as usually your area of the world gets the rarer/deeper water species so what do your LFS’s usually get in for angels?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS, at least the one whose owner I know fairly well, usually gets in the following:
-Coral Beauty (common)
-Rusty (common)
-Eibli (sporadic)
-Half Black (common)
-Heraldi (common)
-Multibar (sporadic)
-Colini (sporadic)
-Venusta (sporadic)
-Lemonpeel (has to be ordered because they come from Fiji)
-African Flameback (sporadic)
-Flavicauda (uncommon)
-Golden (sporadic)
-Bicolor (common)
-Multicolor (preordered)
-Interruptus (preordered)

Flames are expensive these days

The top half are imported regularly (down to Venusta), and Flamebacks, Bicolors are fairly common too, but I really wish we’d get more captive bred stuff. Rarer / more expensive stuff like Joculators can be preordered.

As for large angels:
-Majestic
-Blueface
-Koran
-Queen
-Blue
-French
-Rock Beauty
-Cream
-Flagfin
-Black Velvet
-Scribbled
-Emperor
-Regal
-Genicanthus (usually Lamarck and Melanospilos)

Available as captive bred:
-Majestic (common)
-Gold Flake (fairly common, but I will definitely have to avoid the hybrids as many don’t distinguish between the two)
-Cortez (common)
-Clarion (sporadic)
-Conspic (these are US bred, sporadic)
-Asfur (sporadic)
-Maculosus (common)
-Blue Line (uncommon)
-Regal (sporadic but I guess eventually common once Wen-Ping Su gets more batches)
-Lemonpeel (somewhat common)
-Lemonpeel x Half Black (somewhat common)
-Venusta (somewhat common)
-Multibar (uncommon)
-Colini (sporadic)
-Scribbled (common in 2020, haven’t seen any since not sure why)

I think that’s it.

Prices on the more expensive CB angels:
Conspic (~24000 yuan or ~2950 pounds / ~3500 bucks)

Clarion (~18000 yuan or ~2210 pounds / ~2665 bucks)

We’re also getting CB Yellow Tangs more regularly and we get CB Blue Tangs from Bali Aquarich. Foxfaces are captive bred by a local fishery / institute. It’s Siganus vilpinus.

And of course we get CB Clownfish, CB Fiji Devils, and more people are doing CB Dottybacks (Fridmani, Flavivertex, and Aldabarensis) and Bangaiis. So yes catching up but still a long way to go.

If only Biota and ORA was easy to import.

If you are looking at super high end collectors in Asia, I think Japan’s the place to go. Lots of rare deepwater fish go there. Chingchai in Thailand also had some pretty high end stuff.

Last edited:

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus melanospilos being a beauty as always. The streamers he used to have decided to vanish unfortunately. I hope that they regrow as he isn’t a full female though, one of my dreams was to have a fish with streamers (as well as a medium sized Angel) so I got the male over a female for that reason.
F7E20B9D-233F-41B0-AA73-BA48B1B8E2B9.jpeg
This is interesting. Is that common to have streamers revert if the angel goes back to female?

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any long term Asfur keepers? Do they get big, as in anywhere near the 16” online?

I love me some angels. Top ones are:
Majestic
Goldflake
Regal
Bandit
Blueline

In no order. Asfur would be = to one of them.

Dwarfs harder to pick, in my place we don’t get as many Centropyge species and since I prefer tank bred, some of them are the more difficult species like Multibar, Venusta and Colini. Lack of BIOTA CB options like the Coral Beauty which leaves me with CB Lemonpeels from Bali Aquarich.

I have seen Biota’s Coral Beauties imported into Hong Kong, but no mainland importer is willing to get them wholesale because wild Coral Beauties from Indonesia and the Philippines are too cheap. Lots of people in this part of the world haven’t quite caught up to the idea of paying more for tank bred fish, despite failing over and over again with wild fish.
People fail with coral beauties?

I could get these captive ones, but they are too little in size and realistically, I do not find them surviving easier than Wild ones. So far I gotten 1 Goldflake, 1 Multibar, 1 Magestic. Only the magestic made it.

KevinC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size did you get them all? Were they pretty tiny? Did they have any trouble eating?

Yeah apparently some do, I suspect cyanide and bad handling.
I find sizes differ from batch to batch. I do think the average size gotten smaller tho. They eat but not a lot. Honestly i have never killed any drawf angels ever. The only one that gave me A LOT of trouble is regals (the best angel imo) and Multibar (wild) somewhat,very picky either and could not compete for food.

heres my angel list:
Bellus
Blue face
Regal (Red sea wild)
Flame
Multibar (wild)
Magestic (CB)

The small captive bred that i get just sorta died slowly. Its like seeing SPS STN/RTN.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I would get this thread moving again :)

Rock Beauty with some striking blue Eyes!!

RockBeauty-1.jpg
I’d love a rock beauty but I’ve only ever seen one in person.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I wonder if you’ve worked with Asfurs. I’m trying to figure out whether they get large. Book size says 16” but anywhere close to that realistically? After many years.

Which of the larger angels Genicanthus aside have you found to stay smaller long term?

Dierks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d love a rock beauty but I’ve only ever seen one in person.
Were you Scuba Diving?

We try and get lots of fun stuff as everyone always has all the normal stuff :)

Hey I wonder if you’ve worked with Asfurs.
If you were asking me I only ever get the chance to work with smaller Juvenile fish so never really get to see them fully grown in tanks. @4FordFamily is a big/large angel guy I believe maybe he can chime in.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I wonder if you’ve worked with Asfurs. I’m trying to figure out whether they get large. Book size says 16” but anywhere close to that realistically? After many years.

Which of the larger angels Genicanthus aside have you found to stay smaller long term?

Were you Scuba Diving?

We try and get lots of fun stuff as everyone always has all the normal stuff :)

If you were asking me I only ever get the chance to work with smaller Juvenile fish so never really get to see them fully grown in tanks. @4FordFamily is a big/large angel guy I believe maybe he can chime in.
I've seen a few large ones in captivity, but they're at zoos or rainforest cafe and such. I haven't heard of them being particularly fast growers but I notice with angels dominance can play a HUGE role in how fast they do (or do not) grow. Asfur can be nasty when they get bigger, I've heard this several times and seen them aggressively chasing other angels (in particular) in their tanks. That said, I have a Passer angel and I'd say they're typically nastier than Asfur as far as comparisons go. I don't have any experience with them, personally -- all second-hand and observational.

Jubei2006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Genicanthus melanospilos being a beauty as always. The streamers he used to have decided to vanish unfortunately. I hope that they regrow as he isn’t a full female though, one of my dreams was to have a fish with streamers (as well as a medium sized Angel) so I got the male over a female for that reason.
F7E20B9D-233F-41B0-AA73-BA48B1B8E2B9.jpeg
Do you have any Genicanthus females in the tank? I have heard and seen a a few revert if they were the only one in the tank. My Bellus malenis growing streamers now that he has two female bellus in the tank with him.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 12 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back