The Angel Lovers Thread

miguelspuerto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do lemon peel angel fish pick on anemones I have lots of rainbow anemones want to make sure before a buy him thank you

ecrumpler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my juv Regal didn't last 24hrs. His fins were nipped up in the shipping bag and he was very thin. The wrasse in the order also expired, never fully recovering from what seemed like extreme shipping shock. He had almost an entire pectoral fin bitten off and his tail was chewed up as well. The third fish in the order was an Lyretail Anthias that came in perfect and is healthy and eating.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, my juv Regal didn't last 24hrs. His fins were nipped up in the shipping bag and he was very thin. The wrasse in the order also expired, never fully recovering from what seemed like extreme shipping shock. He had almost an entire pectoral fin bitten off and his tail was chewed up as well. The third fish in the order was an Lyretail Anthias that came in perfect and is healthy and eating.

That sounds like fin rot. Did those fish already show signs of damaged fins when they were taken out of the bag?

ecrumpler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damaged fins were evident in the bag, it's the first thing I noticed. I don't think it was fin rot, but looked more like aggression in the holding tanks, which would indicate stressed fish to begin with. Either way, it is what it is and that is the risk with ordering online. I have never had fish die so quickly, total bummer. I won't be trying another regal. I'm going to try a bluespotted angel and a flagfin. I'm just rounding out the final stock of my 125 for the long haul.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damaged fins were evident in the bag, it's the first thing I noticed. I don't think it was fin rot, but looked more like aggression in the holding tanks, which would indicate stressed fish to begin with. Either way, it is what it is and that is the risk with ordering online. I have never had fish die so quickly, total bummer. I won't be trying another regal. I'm going to try a bluespotted angel and a flagfin. I'm just rounding out the final stock of my 125 for the long haul.

Those two, blue spotted and flagfin, are good angels to have. I've had them in the same tank and they are not aggressive and don't get too big.

ecrumpler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two, blue spotted and flagfin, are good angels to have. I've had them in the same tank and they are not aggressive and don't get too big.

Good to hear, I've got about every food imaginable on hand except for live black worms. Hopefully I can get the Flagfin eating. I'm using Liveaquaria this time; can't beat the free shipping and great refund policy. Hopefully healthy fish too...

Ortho281

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining a Red Sea Regal, Majestic, Bicolor and Flame which will be going in my office 185 gal.

Regal1.jpg
Majestic.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ouch. Very sorry to hear that, Ecrumpler.

Actually acclimating a regal as I type this - picked him up at a LFS, and he looks nice and thick, was relaxed in their tank, so . . .

Will have to shoot a photo after I get him into QT.

~Bruce

ecrumpler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As promised ... Images of the new Indo regal, in QT for five minutes:

Twenty minutes later, he was pecking at something on the bottom glass. I have a pretty good feeling about this guy!

~Bruce

Nice looking Regal! The one I ordered never made to that level of coherency with swimming and pecking. He looks good and fat, definitely has been eating.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking Regal! The one I ordered never made to that level of coherency with swimming and pecking. He looks good and fat, definitely has been eating.

Thanks, ecrumpler - have you been in touch with the vendor about that order?

Mine has snapped up a few frozen morsels over the last several days, but I'm not going so far as to say "aggressive feeder" at this point!

~Bruce

ecrumpler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, ecrumpler - have you been in touch with the vendor about that order?

I have, the policy is pretty clear and what was offered was in-line with the policy. Essentially, a credit for the wrasse, not worth the shipping.

ecrumpler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any tips for getting my new Flagfin eating? It's been 2 days and nothing so far. I've tried nori, mysis, cyclops, frozen angel formula, oyster on the half shell. I want to start Prazi treatment, but was hoping to see it eat first. Any advice?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any tips for getting my new Flagfin eating? It's been 2 days and nothing so far. I've tried nori, mysis, cyclops, frozen angel formula, oyster on the half shell. I want to start Prazi treatment, but was hoping to see it eat first. Any advice?
If you can get some sponge on live rock that it can graze.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back