The Angel Lovers Thread

KologneKoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KologneKoral good read. Thank you for the info. Definately helps. Having this tank up for only 13 months I'm still learning all the don't do's. I was running a lot of carbon in the beginning through my cannister and a reactor. I did stop using the cannister altogether maybe 3-4 months ago. Too mamy people said cannisters were a no no.
Derek, I wouldn't say canisters are an absolute negative, but they are extremely limited, which is their main weakness. They can rarely handle any fluctuations in load, as they literally do not breath and change. Completely enclosed systems. Can be usefull, but there are a disproportionate amount of marine tank collapses connected to canisters. I suppose, if we really did a diagnosis, we would find it is simply not maintaining them correctly/pushing them beyond their capacity, in most cases, but this doesn't make them more flexible and, as far as I know, we are still all human, which means we do stupid things every so often (and what we don't see, we don't respond to).

And, for what it's worth, this is the US forum where you can really get good infos, especially when starting out. Friendly and well spirited.

cheers,
J.

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
13959098001_d31e5524f1_c.jpg

KologneKoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys think about coral beauty's in reef tanks I got one a couple of days ago he has been really good so far
Daryl,
I had a trio in my reef for about 8 years (it is a while back, now) and never had any troubles with them going at the corals. They nip at literally everything in a tank, trying it out or looking for small animals on its surface, but doing damage is another thing. I never lost a polyp or small invert. As trio they were OK, but I think, if I did this again, I would add 5 fish in a group or just a single fish. They are very long lived with some reaching 13 years or more. I would highly recommend them.

J.

darylb94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could go 5 or more but it's only in a 55 for now I'm upgrading to a 100 in a few months so hopefully I can put an angel in there too

dereks16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lovey coral beauty. But was told I could have only one angel. I would love to get others. Flame or potters. But feel like one would off the other. But your saying you kept a trio?

dereks16

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt gator. Do you know what the carrot and fresh broccoli feeding consists of? This straight from a supermarket and blended up or something?

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe they are shredded carrots peeled and steamed so that they easily eaten. Broccoli should be steamed as well to soften up as well. Not 100% on this, but I'm pretty sure.

Blending it up isn't a bad idea either, but the steam way can be clipped on a nori clip so they can pick at it.

Last edited:

lsufiregal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't post pics yet but I have an adult Imperator, and a changing blueface and Passer in my DT and a changing Imperator in the QT. I love watching them.

KologneKoral

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lovey coral beauty. But was told I could have only one angel. I would love to get others. Flame or potters. But feel like one would off the other. But your saying you kept a trio?
Yes, a trio. All were aquired at one time, young fish and over the first 6-8 months one grew much larger and dominant. They are relatively aggressive amongst each other and one needs lots of hiding places, but this was not a theme in my tank. In smaller tanks it may be probelmatic.

As harem fish the smaller C. acanthops, C. argi and C. auratonotus are better. The larger Centropyge, although generally harem oriented, are more aggressive and require space for a harmonious life together.

J.

Newb_reefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to those of you who have venustus angels, how well are they doing in your tank and how long have you had them really considering picking one up in the next few days and would like to read some experiences from people who already have it

CyberGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
gorgeous fish guys!!! I've had a coral beauty with no issues in a reef tank. I would love to have a flame angel just a bit worried about them nipping stuff

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of angels in a reef. Pics of my multi color angel. Been great in my reef. Never nipped at anything. And truth. Even if he ever did. I would just say good bye to that color. I have not seen another multi color like this. Pics are horrid. But he has almost no white on him. Were it usually is white. He is black.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1401327835.391072.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1401327849.785760.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1401327867.873673.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1401327880.873440.jpg

Sorry about the powder brown. He seems to always want to show off when i take pics

Do what will make you happy.

mrred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep getting mixed opinions about keeping a majestic angel in a 90 gallon tank. I have lots of rock and some softies and shrooms. My real concern is the tank to small?

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. You should be fine. The only problem i have ever heard about was getting them to eat.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mack,

wouldn't surprise me at all...it is doesn't move (ie, brains, chalices, scoly, zoas, etc.) it does NOT go in my tank..

which goes back to my previous statement about making a choice of angels or corals..it ultimately is one or the other

Sleeperr34

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New camera and got some better shots of my multi color angel.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402290475.874695.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1402290495.589939.jpg

Question for all the angel lovers out there. I always see multi colors everywhere. But i have never seen one with this color to it. With so much black and so little white. I know he is healthy and happy. He is a fat fat fish and well fed. And no one picks on anyone in my tank. Just an interesting color to him. Didnt know if it was just normal when they get older they get darker or what.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 12 18.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 43 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 6.2%

Back