The Angel Lovers Thread

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do y'all know how active a coral beauty angel is supposed to be? I got one a few weeks ago and all it does is hide in the rocks. I've seen it eat and it swims around in the crevices but it never actually comes out. I have some clownfish in there with it and it hangs out in the rocks with them all the time so I don't think it's an aggression/territorial issue. It seemed to come out a lot when I first got it but not so much anymore. No sign of disease either so do I just have a shy fish or is there something else I'm missing
Mine is a bit like that and im worried it had a disease too, but he seems to graze

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last Coral Beauty I had was similar to my flame angels, always out and about picking on the live rock and too often my soft corals. I would think your angel would have settled in after two weeks. Was it QT? Has it lost weight? Have you seen it’s poop? Respiration normal? Any shaking of it’s head? Try to give us more details so we can better help you and your fish.

eliseei78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last Coral Beauty I had was similar to my flame angels, always out and about picking on the live rock and too often my soft corals. I would think your angel would have settled in after two weeks. Was it QT? Has it lost weight? Have you seen it’s poop? Respiration normal? Any shaking of it’s head? Try to give us more details so we can better help you and your fish.
Yes. And it hasn't lost any weight I left some seaweed on a clip near the rock it likes to hide in and I see it picking at that but right after it's done it goes and hides again. It's not just sitting still in the rock it swims around and pokes it's head out and looks around every few minutes then goes back in. When I woke up this morning and went to check on it it was out for a few minutes and it was picking at some algae off a turbo snail but a few minutes later it just went to hide again.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of CB. I got the first one on 3/21/19. Until just recently he/she appeared to be afraid of my presence. If I weren't near the tank he/she would swim out in the open and grazing. If I were near the tank he would hide in caves but would quickly move from cave to cave hiding from me. He now comes up to the glass watching me while I'm near the tank. I think they just take a while to get used to their new environment.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't resist, sharing these two, any longer.

3igLBcY.jpg

VenustaInTransferCup.gif

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now they have nearly acclimated to full reef lighting, I can try to get a half decent picture:
BsL9lQv.jpg

Presumed, Male Above, Female Below
QvwjWwt.jpg

It was very tricky to get the colors right, perhaps neither quite capture the colors right, but sort of show an exaggeration of the difference.

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now they have nearly acclimated to full reef lighting, I can try to get a half decent picture:
BsL9lQv.jpg

Presumed, Male Above, Female Below
QvwjWwt.jpg

It was very tricky to get the colors right, perhaps neither quite capture the colors right, but sort of show an exaggeration of the difference.

I have had two but both withered away after 6-8 months. Not sure why but I am not going to try another one for a long time. Good luck with yours!

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That look more like he's either getting the beat down from another fish or fin rot possibly.

It almost looks like extra slim coat around the fin/ gill area. Just wondering if I should treat the DT with prazipro. I haven't seen anyone chasing him around.. hes one of the bigger fish in the 220 gal.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost looks like extra slim coat around the fin/ gill area. Just wondering if I should treat the DT with prazipro. I haven't seen anyone chasing him around.. hes one of the bigger fish in the 220 gal.
Maybe do a FW dip first to see if there are any flukes present. Tattered fins is not a sign of flukes. Did the Angels fins look like that when you acquired the fish?

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe do a FW dip first to see if there are any flukes present. Tattered fins is not a sign of flukes. Did the Angels fins look like that when you acquired the fish?

No he looked really good. I have noticed he will start swimming on his side or upside down. Thought maybe he was just a weird guy but I'm starting to see it more.. also started cutting back on eating.. but is still eating so far

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No he looked really good. I have noticed he will start swimming on his side or upside down. Thought maybe he was just a weird guy but I'm starting to see it more.. also started cutting back on eating.. but is still eating so far
I would try to observe the Angel and the tank mates after lights out. Its very well possible he's bedding down with someone that doesn't like him in their established spot.

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would try to observe the Angel and the tank mates after lights out. Its very well possible he's bedding down with someone that doesn't like him in their established spot.

Well the spot I know hes in used to be the home of a yellow tang that was recently rehomed due to being a bully to everyone.
I'll keep an eye out. Just dont want wait for the last minute.

Anthonyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've trapped him. I'm going to give him a FW dip and check for flukes.. if he has some I'll have to dose the tank with prazi.

20190625_204339.jpg

Aheinz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do my tank upgrade from a 20g to a frag 60.3 (40gallon DT) I'm debating on the dwarf angels love the colors and look, but definetly worried about ending up with one that picks at corals doing my research and planning on if I do, rocking a cheap coral, in the qt with it to see if it nips. Also plannign to do things better with my upgrade i.e QT, and dipping of corals, and treatign fish before they go into the DT =)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 25.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back