The Angel Lovers Thread

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Lemon Peel angel fish to my waterbox 60 on Sunday. I decided to take the risk as my tank is sps dominant . with two lavender tangs, a clown, yellow gobi, file fish and a blue damsel. my tank is pretty established and I noticed that the angel went for sponges and small algae on the rocks. any advice on feeding angles other than the usual pellets,cubes. thanks

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to report my Venustus didn’t make it. It came in looking awesome but never wanted to eat. I’ll have one again at some point but not until I upgrade.

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Asfur angel!! Love the streamers!! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 978EC530-BD98-4F36-AEEC-2759A7AD995B.jpeg
    978EC530-BD98-4F36-AEEC-2759A7AD995B.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 61
  • 2E5F594B-3E6F-4602-BC64-A6257C5F92A4.jpeg
    2E5F594B-3E6F-4602-BC64-A6257C5F92A4.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 46
  • DA13E7A8-AE2A-4961-9A3A-6FD5E7F4AF88.jpeg
    DA13E7A8-AE2A-4961-9A3A-6FD5E7F4AF88.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 52

Thomashtom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, it’s about 7 inches plus steamers. Had him for about 5 years since he was 3-4 inches. Thanks

Fishnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size angels? I kept two regals in a 20 gallon 12” tall for a year, but they were only 1.25“ long.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank would be 5' long by 24" wide by 20" tall. Wondering if I could start out with a small scribbled or regal angel and how long that tank would work for it.
that would work . the fish keepers in Asia keep big fish in small tanks it will be a while before u need a bigger tank I say about two-3yrs

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m an “Asian” hobbyist and yes, I see plenty of people in this part of the world do exactly what you mentioned. However, it almost makes me sick to the stomach when I see a clearly undersized tank crammed with every Tang, Butterfly, and large Angel the owner can find. I know a guy who told me “fish are too hard to keep” when he put 4 Tangs (3 of them notorious ich magnets- Powder Brown, Clown, Blue Hippo and the 4th a Yellow) into a 55-gallon.

From what I saw they weren’t small juveniles either (not that such would make me change my mind). Unsurprisingly, he got a major ich outbreak and lost all 4 of them. What did he do next? He went out and bought more Acanthurus Tangs and a juvenile Emperor Angel and….. some time later, the same thing happened. Then he told me “fish are too hard to keep.”

There’s many examples of fish keepers like him in this part of the world, and I don’t think it’s anything one should try to emulate (“other people are doing it”- but may I ask, what is their idea of the long-term?) no matter what part of the world they’re from.

I’d rather under-stock a bigger system than cram a smaller system. Recently I’ve also warmed to the approach of happy fish that are active and demonstrate natural behaviors (especially with regards to pairing / harems) over “collections” of fish and corals where it’s about the volume and variety of species over behavior. Of course, to each their own. If having singles of many a species as possible is someone’s personal preference, that’s fine though IMO not the most interesting. However, I think just because many of my fellow reefers in this part of the world are practicing bad stocking methods, doesn’t mean we should give the green light to them.

Having said this, there’s still a number of people who know their stuff and excel at it. Guys from Japan have collections of deepwater fish that would make us kill. Jimmy Ma from Hong Kong has a whole section of an apartment complex dedicated to his systems, granted they’re FOWLR but he’s a guru when it comes to rare fish (and some of them are like uber rare). Anything that could make their way to the West would probably be sold to high-end fish collectors from Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore before they make it over to North America, Europe, Australia etc. And these collectors have deep pockets and connections.

I’m not so sure about Hong Kong and Singapore, but the Japanese love their Anthias, Basslets, and Butterflies. From what I observed they don’t seem to be as big on Tangs.

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 65 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back