The Balling Method - What is it?

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that is the case, except in advertising. A high quality two part like B-ionic adds (or claims to add) everything that Balling adds (or claims to add) that a reef "needs".

Hi Randy
I kept reading on the balling method and it mentions the balancing of the sodium chloride that is left around in the system over time is what's key the method.
Do you feel that this claim is hype, some truth worth looking into a little more or even any advantage to this alleged balancing?

Could you direct me as to where I can read that B ionic has all the extra elements in balling? Thx

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy
I kept reading on the balling method and it mentions the balancing of the sodium chloride that is left around in the system over time is what's key the method.
Do you feel that this claim is hype, some truth worth looking into a little more or even any advantage to this alleged balancing?

Could you direct me as to where I can read that B ionic has all the extra elements in balling? Thx

Dealing with the elevating sodium chloride is a critical attribute of Balling, but it is exactly the same as a commercial two part in that regard. Two parts are designed prevent sodium and chloride from rising relative to other primary ions, such as sulfate, magnesium, and potassium. So it is an advantage of both methods over independent additions of sodium bicarbonate/carbonate and calcium chloride.

Bionic makes this claim:

http://www.esvco.com/products.html

"B-Ionic Calcium Buffer System is also formulated to provide all other important major, minor, and trace elements in the proper ratios to duplicate the composition of synthetic seawater."

So while it may or may not be the exact same list of added ions as Balling uses, it certainly sounds like all those that one would care about. Seawater has many ions in it with no biological benefit, such as antimony and gold, but there's no benefit to having them in a reef tank.

s2nhle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use cal and alk from bionic. it takes me a long time to get alk to melt to liquid.

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
I know you read this all the time but I'll write again. Thank you! I appreciate the time and effort you give the hobbyist through the years.

I recently came across another company here in S. Fla that is claiming to have developed a 2 part with all the "other" elements in the ocean which help coral growth and color. It's claims are great and I would like to know if any members have used this product?

http://reefprostore.com/Reef-Pro-Complete-formula.html

I will keep on reading and learnig to make my choice on what route to go with dosing. I like how the hobby keeps moving forward in research and developments to better help us keep these beautiful creatures but you have to sift through lots of hype and unfortunately false information first.

zoanutty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
I know you read this all the time but I'll write again. Thank you! I appreciate the time and effort you give the hobbyist through the years.

I recently came across another company here in S. Fla that is claiming to have developed a 2 part with all the "other" elements in the ocean which help coral growth and color. It's claims are great and I would like to know if any members have used this product?

http://reefprostore.com/Reef-Pro-Complete-formula.html

I will keep on reading and learnig to make my choice on what route to go with dosing. I like how the hobby keeps moving forward in research and developments to better help us keep these beautiful creatures but you have to sift through lots of hype and unfortunately false information first.

Bump!

I’d like to know Randy’s opinion on this company’s claims as well. I’ve been using them and while I’ve seen some encouraging results, they’re super expensive and if I can accomplish the same results for less, I’d love to learn how.

Samandar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, Dr
I have recently set up a reef tank. I decided to use balling method. Calcium chloride, Sodium bicarbonate, Magnesium chloride and mineral salt are the supplement that I use. Tank have been running since last Herbst. From two days ago, there is some white sediment on the live rocks. Test results are as follows :
Cal : 465
Kh : 8.45
Mg : 1350
I checked the dosing pump, every four suppliments are the same. What is the resone of the white sediment, which suppliment would not be correct. I thought perhaps can I increas Mg chloride to prevent that while the Kh increase too. I don't know What do you think? I need your help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back