The Balling Method - What is it?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running a different brand, but very happy with running the balling method.

Luvs501s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I stated on YouTube, I'm am looking forward so very much to this series of videos. I find it confusing to finally get your tank stabilized only to do a water change and have your levels adjusted to new levels. I currently use Red Sea Coral Pro and as with all synthetic salts, each batch can vary slightly. Water changes, unless they are of substantial amounts do little to remove unwanted DOC's and other unwanted elements. A good system should be able to handle nutrient export, leaving the water fairly clean.., or so I would hope. ;). Thanks for taking the time out of your life to help make our lives a little easier and our pets a little happier.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What brand do you use?
I did a total switch over to @Aquaforest and really like it. The @Aquaforest 1+2+3 is already setup for auto dosing with there 5000ml size so there is no guessing. From what I have read, the person who came up with the balling method is working for Tropic Marin.

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am very interested in this method but can't seem to find a detailed explanation on how to go as out in dosing. I can't wait to see the follow up video on mixing and dosing. I was going to go with the 2 part but I see that this method offers more of the other stuff the reef needs in the replenishment of the lost elements.
Following

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the pros/cons between the "balling method" and implementing a doser with 2 part?

FWIW, I don't think there are many differences in theory. Maybe none with any real impact on reefs.

The differences, if any, are in the implementation of the methods by the specific manufacturers.

CodyRVA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I don't think there are many differences in theory. Maybe none with any real impact on reefs.

The differences, if any, are in the implementation of the methods by the specific manufacturers.

Thats what i figured, but really wasn't sure. Curious if one method is "cheaper" to implement over another. Most cost effective method?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i figured, but really wasn't sure. Curious if one method is "cheaper" to implement over another. Most cost effective method?

Again, that depends on the manufacturer, and how much deviation from a "perfect" method one is willing to allow (e.g., DIY like BRS or not).

I do some cost comparisons (and other pros and cons) of different methods here:

The Many Methods for Supplementing Calcium and Alkalinity - REEFEDITION
http://www.reefedition.com/the-many-methods-for-supplementing-calcium-and-alkalinity/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to go with the 2 part but I see that this method offers more of the other stuff the reef needs in the replenishment of the lost elements.
Following

I do not believe that is the case, except in advertising. A high quality two part like B-ionic adds (or claims to add) everything that Balling adds (or claims to add) that a reef "needs".

Luvs501s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I may well be, but I thought that using two part contributed to salinity which would have to be addressed over time, whereas the Balling Method did not add additional salts to the equation, allowing for just Top-Off to maintain the tanks salinity levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I may well be, but I thought that using two part contributed to salinity which would have to be addressed over time, whereas the Balling Method did not add additional salts to the equation, allowing for just Top-Off to maintain the tanks salinity levels.

Nope. That effect is EXACTLY the same between Balling and a two part. Both raise salinity the same amount (or nearly the same amount, depending on exactly how they are formulated).

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps folks are misunderstanding this, but the only difference between a perfect two part and a perfect Balling method is the Balling method has all of the components aside from sodium and chloride (magnesium, potassium, iron, sulfate etc.) in the salt free mix you add, and the two part puts those same ingredients in one or the other (or both) of the two parts.

Luvs501s

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps folks are misunderstanding this, but the only difference between a perfect two part and a perfect Balling method is the Balling method has all of the components aside from sodium and chloride (magnesium, potassium, iron, sulfate etc.) in the salt free mix you add, and the two part puts those same ingredients in one or the other (or both) of the two parts.
Thank you for clearing that up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 48 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back