The Basement Build Questions/Suggestions

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty wonderful R2R folks, recently my ever so lovely fiancee and I purchased our first home and we'll be moving in in two weeks! However, in true reefing style/addiction there's a space that currently has no use so I immediately put my stamp on it and claim it as my tank/gaming dungeon!

This will be the first time I'll have the ability to really setup a tank as I want and really design the room to help make the tank a real feature and easy to work with. I will also have my desk and PC down there as I enjoy gaming a lot and being with the tank makes me happy when I get enraged at whatever I'm playing! This obviously raises the needs and concerns of humidity/airflow.

Now I've had some great luck with the layout and location of the room even if it is smaller than I would have liked but you can't win them all! Basically the room is the concrete foundation of the building and will get sealed for extra protection but one door leads to the garage and the other is to the laundry, perfect placement. And as it's on the bottom floor and semi underground, it's going to stay so amazingly temp stable, especially during the Aussie summer's!

One issue that I'll definitely be facing will be humidity and airflow control through the room, the plans at this stage is to have a fan/extraction symbol that will take control of that. Either having it vent to the garage or outside for air movement as I'd prefer not to run a de-humidifier in addition to everything else down there. I'm hoping to put the sump and water mixing station in the little laundry that joins the room as well! I've got a brief sketch below of my plans for the room too!
69499147_485523241998769_2822739316810186752_n.jpg

However for some more insight and detail here's what the two rooms look like:
20190904_153220.jpg

20190904_153224.jpg

Perfect for going all out reef fun if you ask me! However rather than just dribbling on about my excitement, my real point for this thread is what suggestions has everyone got for me in mistakes or things that make life easier that they've learnt in have tanks in more enclosed spaces?

Some more misc details:
- Stands are planned to be square tube steel or aluminium
- Sump will either be to the left of the DT or in the laundry (depending on how I can work it)
- No idea if the frag tank will be a separate or tied in system, haven't made that decision yet
- Lighting will be LED and the frag tank may be a halide but that's still not decided
- I'm hoping to have the whole room put on it's own circuit as well

So after that hit me with your best shot and please tag anyone you know that something similar or could offer advice :)

0bcf00bdf190f4e9c040f4d303dc9a7f.jpg

YHSublime

Reefopotamus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 100 gallon stock sump plumbed in, under the desk. Filled with nothing but cleaner shrimp. You can dip your feet while you game. The future Mrs could probably get behind this.

Or if you want to make it real interesting, swap the cleaner shrimp for a dedicated mantis sump/foot soak. The future Mrs would probably not get behind that idea though.

....or maybe, I don't know your life :p

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 100 gallon stock sump plumbed in, under the desk. Filled with nothing but cleaner shrimp. You can dip your feet while you game. The future Mrs could probably get behind this.

Or if you want to make it real interesting, swap the cleaner shrimp for a dedicated mantis sump/foot soak. The future Mrs would probably not get behind that idea though.

Like playing a game of Russian Roulette with your feet, outside the box thinking, I love it!

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electrical definitely on a separate circuits (2) & you will need more than you think so go overboard with outlets.
Put the sump on a bench of some sort. It's not fun on your knees under the tank.
Also lets you make it larger & drops head pressure significantly.

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have it planned out very well.
Exciting!
Thanks guys :)

hahaha I like the mantis foot tank idea the most!

If you don't want to run a dehumidifier then you need to make sure you are venting the room very well and bringing in fresh air as well.
That's the plan hopefully! And just to circulate the warm stale PC air as well haha

Electrical definitely on a separate circuits (2) & you will need more than you think so go overboard with outlets.
Put the sump on a bench of some sort. It's not fun on your knees under the tank.
Also lets you make it larger & drops head pressure significantly.
There's definitely going to be plenty of outlets! Two doubles for the PC and probably two doubles for the tank as well and everything will be on a 15-20amp fuse circuit as well :)
I'm contemplating having the sump on a table/desk too!

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this project done before you get married....:p:p

After marriage, you'll have a short leash on buying decisions. :eek:
Thankfully I've scored pretty well so even after marriage I'll still get lots of leeway :p Otherwise I won't let her buy any books and I know that won't happen! hahaha

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tie my frag tank to my display... Running two SPS tanks is used as a form of torture in some countries.

Portable AC unit? Would allow for you to circulate indoor/outdoor air, condition it as well to cool, and remove moisture.

Keenan

TCMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What Ty said about plumbing the frag tank with the display. Also, I would have the pc electronics and the tank electronics on separate circuits if possible, just to be safe.
As others have noted, you’ll definitely want to make humidity control priority number one, or else I can see it doing some real damage to the pc over time.

I know you said the room is semi-underground so that should help with temps, however as I’m sure you know a couple hour gaming session can heat up a room quickly so keep that in mind!

Excited to see this one come together and congrats again on the new house :)

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tie my frag tank to my display... Running two SPS tanks is used as a form of torture in some countries.

Portable AC unit? Would allow for you to circulate indoor/outdoor air, condition it as well to cool, and remove moisture.
Yeah, I really don't like the idea of running two separate systems haha I think they'll more than likely be tied into the one or I'll go mad haha

The only issues with a portable AC unit is that the only way to have the intake vent is out the garage door and I don't want to leave that open haha I might start off with a de-humidifier to begin with until I install something more permanent and efficient!

What Ty said about plumbing the frag tank with the display. Also, I would have the pc electronics and the tank electronics on separate circuits if possible, just to be safe.
As others have noted, you’ll definitely want to make humidity control priority number one, or else I can see it doing some real damage to the pc over time.

I know you said the room is semi-underground so that should help with temps, however as I’m sure you know a couple hour gaming session can heat up a room quickly so keep that in mind!

Excited to see this one come together and congrats again on the new house :)
They'll be on the same circuit by themselves, which is much better than them being on the same circuit (and outlet even) like they currently are haha having them on the separate circuit together will work alright as it's the two systems in the house that I want to know if there's any issues with. So if a fuse is tripped and our power goes out I can identify if it's the tank or pc immediately :)

Yes haha that's one thing I will be very mindful of! An air exchanger will definitely be the long term option to keep that in check but I can just open the garage door to start with haha

Thanks man :D

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I prefer keeping duplicate corals in separate systems, if possible (grow-out and display). It’s not cost effective but if something happens to one system(ie, mechanical failure, alk swing etc) then it will not be a total loss of livestock. The downside to running separate systems, besides additional costs, is more maintenance required. I rely on quality dehumidifiers to handle excess moisture issues in my basement. Works well until a unit fails and has to be repaired or replaced. I considered air exchange for moisture control but my region can get very humid. If your air exchanger can remove outdoor heat and humidity before the filtered air enters your basement would be most ideal.

Last edited:

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats above the the laundry and fish room?
You could install a humidity controlled fan to vent either outside, into the ceiling space or through the roof depending on what layout your working with. such as this https://www.fansonline.com.au/elicent-estyle-exhaust-fan-150-with-humidity-timer-white.html Hook some duct onto it and run it anywhere.
Then maybe a grill in the door to the garage to draw fresh air.
You thinking about going auto water changes? Wouldnt be far or too hard to run some small tubing to the water containers in the laundry!

OP
OP
Wrangy

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer keeping duplicate corals in separate systems, if possible (grow-out and display). It’s not cost effective but if something happens to one system(ie, mechanical failure, alk swing etc) then it will not be a total loss of livestock. The downside to running separate systems, besides additional costs, is more maintenance required. I rely on quality dehumidifiers to handle excess moisture issues in my basement. Works well until a unit fails and has to be repaired or replaced. I considered air exchange for moisture control but my region can get very humid. If your air exchanger can remove outdoor heat and humidity before the filtered air enters your basement would be most ideal.
That was my other biggest concern, it would be nice to have them on a separate system in case of any issues that might occur in one tank don't make it into the other. I think to begin with they'll be the same system but later down the road they might turn into separate ones once we're settled and things are going smooth.

It doesn't get very humid where we are at all so an air exchanger will probably be the best and easiest method to roll with but I'll need to consider how we route the ducting through the walls but a de-humidifier might be the way to go to begin with :) Thanks for the response mate I appreciate it.

Whats above the the laundry and fish room?
You could install a humidity controlled fan to vent either outside, into the ceiling space or through the roof depending on what layout your working with. such as this https://www.fansonline.com.au/elicent-estyle-exhaust-fan-150-with-humidity-timer-white.html Hook some duct onto it and run it anywhere.
Then maybe a grill in the door to the garage to draw fresh air.
You thinking about going auto water changes? Wouldn't be far or too hard to run some small tubing to the water containers in the laundry!
The entryway haha so any venting and ducting will have to go through some walls or the garage to get outside :)

Definitely contemplating some automation in that regard! I'm going to start with a saltwater mixing station with about a 200-250L capacity for both RO and saltwater I think :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back