The BEST country to be a reef aquarium hobbyist in is......and what state?

Do you live in the BEST country to be a reef aquarium hobbyist?

• Yes

Votes: 260 61.6%
  • No

Votes: 148 35.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 14 3.3%

• Total voters

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Canada, the supply chain is not as good as the US, the LFS struggle getting unique fish that are current in US, the price is higher, and there is a ban of fish meds... I just wish live aquaria, wwc or other online retailers could ship to Canada, from an outsider point of view Florida’s seems to be the go to state

Canada is very regional for reefing. If you live in the Toronto area you're probably good. Many LFS have exported to the US in the past. I remember when Canada got cites for Australian corals before America many from the US would come down to the places that also did wholesale. Generally the bigger LFS' in Canada import their own stuff, where as in the US I think it's more common to buy from wholesalers. We lack large scale coral farms and any kind of commercial scale captive breeding for fish though. It's also a big problem that fish medication is available by prescription only. They should at the very least force vets to see fish or setup some sort of digital government fish vets so people can still have access to essential medications.

However if you live outside a big city you are generally out of luck for both fish and corals. There are very few online options and pretty much all non basement options will do the majority of their sales at their storefront and online is just an afterthought. It's slightly getting better but at a very slow rate.

The other big problem Canada has that US doesn't is shipping sucks outside of major cities in Canada. This is something I really wish I knew before moving somewhere rural. Ups/Fedex are outsourced to crappy local companies and I can't even get stuff sent overnight to my location. I can get stuff sent about an hour away but it's no sure thing to make it next day.

I do feel like in general Canada's coral and fish prices are generally lower than the US, in particular wild caught items since as mention much is being imported then sold vs going through more channels. However there are a lot less name brand corals here so maybe you can't find every piece someone is paying $100s of dollars per half inch for. Still many of the name brand pieces make their way to market eventually. I have at one time or another seen most rare fish for sale at LFS, be it gem tangs back when they were still $3500, to Lenardi or any kind of fairy wrasse, or angels that cost $100s or angels that cost $1000s ect. Generally speaking the price tags here are less then you see advertised online in the US.

Obviously the landscape everywhere has changed as far as pricing and importing, but I still long for the days when several different LFS would bring in 500-1000 or even 2000 pieces a week from Indo and everything would be $40-$60. While Australia may have the cheapest coral prices these days they are of course limited to Australian only livestock for the most part. I would guess a country somewhere in Asia is the best for reefing, where they have less restrictions but still a close enough location so that freight is not the driving cost in their livestock. What country is absolute best I have no idea...

jpas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I live in Michigan and we have a great reef community with many coral swaps within a 2 hours drive.

I travel to Southern CA on a regular basis and it is hard to find a better selection of coral and fish there. Also, all of the importers seem to be in LA

Sherrya62

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in Texas. In my area there are a lot of Lfs. A couple have sweet selections of coral.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What country do you think is the best country to be a reef imported equipment aquarium hobbyist in and why?
no idea. do the export countries get a huge price break on their local live stock? do they get shafted on equipment prices?

2. If you chose the USA then what state do you think is the best state for reef aquariums and why?

I'm sure some states are better than others, based on available livestock suppliers, where you can go see what you are getting.

3. Where do you live and how many local hobbyists do you know personally that live around you?

Michigan
I know seven locally.
don't like most of them. I'm sure it's just me. :rolleyes:

JAHreef08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great in the US for equipment but I’m sure the coral options elsewhere are better

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to pick a winner between: Indonesia # 1 and Philippines #1a. Amazing snorkeling and diving and low cost of living both places so you can spend all your money on corals.

Best corals in Indonesia and more readily available.

From my screen name you can tell I am a little biased towards Philippines just because I enjoy the provinces / islands and generally more Americanized way of life a little more there.

Australia would be up there but it's just waaay too dang expensive.

Eric Miller

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Dunedin Fl. lots of lfs in Pinellas and hillsborough county but the closer to the Reefs the better. since the Pandemic
prices have gone threw the sump, Freight is the Ich.

Lota Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Queensland Australia and I am not voting for here.
* many top corals are exported and not locally available.
* to protect our reef importing is highly regulated, which is good, but also minimal diversification.
* manufacturers see us as a second class reefing citizens, where products for ozzie made by US and EU companies tag on AU as an afterthought. The cost transporting here can easily double costs, the apex powerboard even looks different, there is no reefbreeders or reefbrites presence. Tropic marin and Orphek have no retail presence...the list goes on.

I do love seeing some of the amazing care that goes into the corals shipped from GBR and love to see them flourish in tanks using many methods all over the world though.

beardog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in the burbs of Minneapolis, MN. Great saltwater and freshwater stores scattered throughout the twin cities that offer up pretty much anything you want or need. We have BRS in our backyard one of the best dry good stores around in my opinion. There’s a very good local sw/reefers club in which I haven’t been very active but have met a few of the members who are and have been very helpful. After living in CA during the 80’s, 90’s, and beginning of the 2000’s it was a little disappointing to see the price of livestock so darn expensive here although there’s always somebody selling or giving away a frag or two so that helps with cost. It’s cold here in the winter but love this state.

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in NC and have at least 7 great LFS within 2 hours of me, 2 right down the road, and a great community for someone like me who’s just starting out in the hobby. Bet it’s a bit cheaper in other parts of the world though!
Where in NC? Our only LFS here in Asheville closed recently.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i live in canada and i would say it sucks for reefing i wish we had more choices for stuff.

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty lucky to be in Australia and I think from a livestock point of view its got to be in the top 2 or 3 countries. I am about 2000m from the coast and I get fresh natural salt water delivered, all my local fish shops have awesome varieties of SPS, LPS and fish. Its great!

BUT we do not have the industry that exists in the States. We don't get the same array of great products down here and when the products do come down here the prices are prohibitive.

Also, because of our border protection we do not allow any livestock to be imported. So there are definitely some corals in Indo that I'd love to see here but theres no chance. Our biosecurity is just too tight (and rightly so).

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
1. What country do you think is the best country to be a reef aquarium hobbyist in and why?

Im going wih USA as i/we often read of people in the UK and Canada unable to buy many items we all have and applies also to various medications and chemicals.

2. If you chose the USA then what state do you think is the best state for reef aquariums and why?

Florida followed by California who actually both have proximity to oceans and also Many vendors and suppliers

3. Where do you live and how many local hobbyists do you know personally that live around you?

Wisconsin. Nice thing is we have about 8 reputable shops and close to Illinois who have at least 20

reefertank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in SW Florida. I get to visit beaches, estuaries and shallows along the southern coast of the Gulf of Mexico. I also can drive 3 to 5 hours to the east and go snorkeling along the Florida Keys. It gives me the opportunity to see wild reefs and shallow water patch reefs up close and personal. It also allows me to interact with, and even collect, wildlife I can keep in my aquarium.
There are certainly other places that are as good as southern Florida, but are the places I'd like to live? Probably not.
Not to mention wwc local in FLORIDA

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
America is the best place to live in the world!! The richest and freest country! We have market access to the best aquarium equipment made from all over the world at the best prices. We have the most reefing shows, conventions, and frag swaps of any country. We have the most intelligent and innovative reefers in the world doing their own DIY and starting their own reef products and livestock selling companies.

Joe26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I live in Michigan and we have a great reef community with many coral swaps within a 2 hours drive.

I travel to Southern CA on a regular basis and it is hard to find a better selection of coral and fish there. Also, all of the importers seem to be in LA
Hi there, I’m looking for these swaps in my area but couldn’t find any. Where are they this year?

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in NC? Our only LFS here in Asheville closed recently.

I live in Greensboro, we have two close by, and stores in Raleigh/Cary and CLT within driving distance. You’re not too far from Charlotte, there are a lot of nice stores there! Definitely check out Nemo’s! Totally worth the drive.

KWT

Keep on keepin on
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where is best. You make what is best for you where you live.

I live in Las Vegas, and there are a number of LFS around here.

I do not know any reefers personally.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back