The biggest Chalk Bass I've ever seen - and my experience keeping him.

DaFeesh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Chalk Bass. This guy was the first fish I ever purchased as a hobbyist. He has been with me happy and healthy for 2.5 years. I purchased him from my local LFS when he was very young.

When I added him to the tank he was no larger than 1". The reading I've done says they top out at around 3", but this fish is easily 4.25". Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do him any justice. You really need to see how wide he is to appreciate his size. He is currently living peacefully in my SPS dominated 130g with a kole tang, a purple tang, 2 lyretail anthias(one male, one female), a cleaner goby, solar wrasse(who's also a chunker), a starry blenny and a white-spotted filefish.

This bass eats like a pig(obviously). I can recall several instances where I accidentally dropped a half-thawed cube of mysis into the tank. He can(and will) take down the unthawed half without hesitation. Although this fish is reef-safe, he is a real predator. He seems to enjoy sitting under overhangs until he sees an opportunity to strike the food entering the aquarium. Very bass-like, in my limited experience.

Over time his color has changed. He has lost much of the bright metallic blue you see in them when they are young. As he ages, he has been becoming more reddish/orange over time. I have some experience freedive spearfishing for other species of saltwater bass. Hunting bass can be challenging, as they are very generally very spooky in the wild. That said, the practice gives you a chance to observe many individuals and "pick your fish" when you're ready to harvest. What I've noticed is the "crusty" ones always seem to be the largest and oldest. They get darker and more elusive as they age, and I expect the same thing is happening to my little carribean buddy here.

I love this fish and I was just curious if anyone has one as big and crusty as mine. PLEASE SHARE YOUR CHALK BASS PICTURES. I would love to see them.

Thanks for looking.

He looks like a literal bass!

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is my new guy. Going to acclimate him. He is under 2”.

041679B3-5B73-4554-8AD6-5D8364E6FD3E.jpeg

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am thinking of adding 2 more chalk bass to my tank. I have reset my tank to be bare bottom. Do they need sand when kept as a group? I read in earlier comments that they make a depression in that sand during mating display.

The one chalk bass in the tank was always around the rocks even when I had sand in the tank. Tank size 29g standard. There are no other fish in the tank at the moment.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of adding 2 more chalk bass to my tank. I have reset my tank to be bare bottom. Do they need sand when kept as a group? I read in earlier comments that they make a depression in that sand during mating display.

The one chalk bass in the tank was always around the rocks even when I had sand in the tank. Tank size 29g standard. There are no other fish in the tank at the moment.
Not sure if they need sand, but mine like to dig In the sand at the base of my LR and they seem to sleep in those spots. I would think if there is space below the rocks they could still hide and sleep there.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the most underrated fish in my opinion, Chalk Bass.

lmm1967

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a single - he was shy and got picked on, eventually succumbing to our Hawaiian Hawkfish (which then was eventually killed by a Kole tang of tall things).

I'm looking for more fish for a 180 and I'm certain the list will include at least 3 chalk bass.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 143 40.5%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 178 50.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 32 9.1%
Back