The biggest Chalk Bass I've ever seen - and my experience keeping him.

Anthony Putrino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Chalk Bass. This guy was the first fish I ever purchased as a hobbyist. He has been with me happy and healthy for 2.5 years. I purchased him from my local LFS when he was very young.

When I added him to the tank he was no larger than 1". The reading I've done says they top out at around 3", but this fish is easily 4.25". Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do him any justice. You really need to see how wide he is to appreciate his size. He is currently living peacefully in my SPS dominated 130g with a kole tang, a purple tang, 2 lyretail anthias(one male, one female), a cleaner goby, solar wrasse(who's also a chunker), a starry blenny and a white-spotted filefish.

This bass eats like a pig(obviously). I can recall several instances where I accidentally dropped a half-thawed cube of mysis into the tank. He can(and will) take down the unthawed half without hesitation. Although this fish is reef-safe, he is a real predator. He seems to enjoy sitting under overhangs until he sees an opportunity to strike the food entering the aquarium. Very bass-like, in my limited experience.

Over time his color has changed. He has lost much of the bright metallic blue you see in them when they are young. As he ages, he has been becoming more reddish/orange over time. I have some experience freedive spearfishing for other species of saltwater bass. Hunting bass can be challenging, as they are very generally very spooky in the wild. That said, the practice gives you a chance to observe many individuals and "pick your fish" when you're ready to harvest. What I've noticed is the "crusty" ones always seem to be the largest and oldest. They get darker and more elusive as they age, and I expect the same thing is happening to my little carribean buddy here.

I love this fish and I was just curious if anyone has one as big and crusty as mine. PLEASE SHARE YOUR CHALK BASS PICTURES. I would love to see them.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually had a breeding pair years ago and the female was easily that size only a lot fatter. Nobody believed me that they were that big until they saw them. The male was beautiful in breeding dress with lots of orange in his fins and gill plates. Most of the day they just lurked in caves and under rocks until feeding time. The party started when the main lights went out and just the evening actinics were on. They both danced up to the surface causing a feeding frenzy.....unfortunately I don’t have the pictures any longer when I lost my account with photobucket. Yours looks like a male ....GL

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my chalk bass! Very aggressive eater and not shy about getting right up near the surface when I feed. Had mine roughly the same amount of time as you. I think mine is a male since it is about 3" in total length and has been that size for over a year now. I was considering getting several more for my new system in hopes of getting a breeding pair
IMG_20190215_144623.jpg

OP
OP
Anthony Putrino

Anthony Putrino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i take it you added the cleaner goby after him? and all was well obviously?
It's funny you say that. I have added smaller fish to the tank since buying him, some of which would for sure fit in his mouth. As I did it each time I would grit my teeth nervously thinking.. "please be nice Bruce." My wife named him Bruce, btw. Perhaps I was lucky, or he's just too well-fed because he has always played nice with new additions.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a Chalk Bass. This guy was the first fish I ever purchased as a hobbyist. He has been with me happy and healthy for 2.5 years. I purchased him from my local LFS when he was very young.

When I added him to the tank he was no larger than 1". The reading I've done says they top out at around 3", but this fish is easily 4.25". Unfortunately, the picture doesn't do him any justice. You really need to see how wide he is to appreciate his size. He is currently living peacefully in my SPS dominated 130g with a kole tang, a purple tang, 2 lyretail anthias(one male, one female), a cleaner goby, solar wrasse(who's also a chunker), a starry blenny and a white-spotted filefish.

This bass eats like a pig(obviously). I can recall several instances where I accidentally dropped a half-thawed cube of mysis into the tank. He can(and will) take down the unthawed half without hesitation. Although this fish is reef-safe, he is a real predator. He seems to enjoy sitting under overhangs until he sees an opportunity to strike the food entering the aquarium. Very bass-like, in my limited experience.

Over time his color has changed. He has lost much of the bright metallic blue you see in them when they are young. As he ages, he has been becoming more reddish/orange over time. I have some experience freedive spearfishing for other species of saltwater bass. Hunting bass can be challenging, as they are very generally very spooky in the wild. That said, the practice gives you a chance to observe many individuals and "pick your fish" when you're ready to harvest. What I've noticed is the "crusty" ones always seem to be the largest and oldest. They get darker and more elusive as they age, and I expect the same thing is happening to my little carribean buddy here.

I love this fish and I was just curious if anyone has one as big and crusty as mine. PLEASE SHARE YOUR CHALK BASS PICTURES. I would love to see them.

Thanks for looking.

Dang! I don't know how many I've seen in the wild while diving and I've never seen one that big! Great job in raising him. I remember seeing them diving and thinking, "why would anyone have to worry about those fish hurting anything in their tank?".

I always thought this fish was from the Carribean.

They are.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalk bass are simultaneous hermaphrodites meaning they have both male and female sexual organs and they can actually perform both roles multiple times a day. So basically they don't transition from one sex to another as they are always both sexes, so any two will do if you are wanting a pair.

lbacha

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering one for my 25g lagoon tank, seeing the size of the OP’s has me concerned now. For other chalk bass owners is this just a real abnormality or is +3 inches the norm. Also has anyone kept one in a smaller tank like mine.

His tank mates would be
Royal gramma
Kupang damsel
Tailspot blenny
Clown goby (only smaller fish)
I do have a peppermint shrimp for some minor apraxia control as well

Thanks for any advice

Len

OP
OP
Anthony Putrino

Anthony Putrino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering one for my 25g lagoon tank, seeing the size of the OP’s has me concerned now. For other chalk bass owners is this just a real abnormality or is +3 inches the norm. Also has anyone kept one in a smaller tank like mine.

His tank mates would be
Royal gramma
Kupang damsel
Tailspot blenny
Clown goby (only smaller fish)
I do have a peppermint shrimp for some minor apraxia control as well

Thanks for any advice

Len
The Chalk Bass and Gramma might not get along that well as they are both basslets and similar in shape in size. I'm not sure how out of the norm it is for a Chalk Bass to get to this size, but it doesn't sound all that uncommon.

OP
OP
Anthony Putrino

Anthony Putrino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my chalk bass! Very aggressive eater and not shy about getting right up near the surface when I feed. Had mine roughly the same amount of time as you. I think mine is a male since it is about 3" in total length and has been that size for over a year now. I was considering getting several more for my new system in hopes of getting a breeding pair
IMG_20190215_144623.jpg
I love this picture. Sweet blastos too!

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love chalk bass. I've kept a couple over the years. The last one I had made an expensive meal out of a green banded goby and a cherry head goby that were in the tank with it for some time and it was added after they were. His predatory instincts were too strong I guess.

Holy_makerel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalk bass are simultaneous hermaphrodites meaning they have both male and female sexual organs and they can actually perform both roles multiple times a day. So basically they don't transition from one sex to another as they are always both sexes, so any two will do if you are wanting a pair.
I did not know that about them. Great info, thank you for sharing
I love this picture. Sweet blastos too!
I'm a blasto fan for sure. Thanks!

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how out of the norm it is for a Chalk Bass to get to this size, but it doesn't sound all that uncommon.

Fishbase and everywhere seems to state about 3" is the maximum so I wonder if these are a species that thrive in our tanks and actually grows larger. They live in large groups naturally so perhaps do well without as much competition.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 73 46.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%
Back