The biggest Chalk Bass I've ever seen - and my experience keeping him.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I always thought this fish was from the Carribean.

They are..

I had several for a while. I moved them into a tank when I moved and it took a long time for my custom top to show up and two jumped while waiting.

Very hardy and easy to keep fish.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice fish, where are they native too?

Caribbean.

Nice fish, I've kept them in the past. One of my favorite fish. Don't have any at the time, but I want at least 4 this time.

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how are they with pistol shrimp? Tthats the one thing that has me steering away from them.
The pistol shrimp is the only thing that survived my velvet outbreak early on in my tanks life. He’s been around since the beginning and would hate to see him eaten.
If they hate crustaceans would they bother a Sally Lightfoot Crab as well? Like to have a pair but am not sure

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one in my avatar is in my tank, about 1.5 yr old, about 3.5 in. So fat it is shaped more like a blue fin tuna than a bass. I know it's blurry but it really is that wide side to side top to bottom. Only tankmate is a yellow tang and they stay pretty close to each other. I think he/she chased my watchman out of the tank and then ate the pistol shrimp

Last edited:

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I once had 5 in a 45 gallon tank. The key to having multiple ones is to add them all at once. I had one in the 45 gallon and decided to add more. I read that to add more, I needed to add at least 2 if not more at the same time. I decided to purchase 4 additional ones. When the 4 new ones were added, the one that had been in the tank became aggressive towards all 4 new ones. With all the new targets to keep chasing after the original one gave up after a few a days and then decided it was easier to just hang out with the new ones. I also noticed that after a couple of days, the newly added ones also started to chase the original one. Make sure you have a lid on your tank, they will jump. I just ordered a batch of 20 from KP Aquatics in Florida. I'm going to add 10-12 to my 250 gallon, 6-8 to my 130 gallon. If I go on the lower end of the numbers, I have a 45 cube I'm upgrading to a 60 cube. The other 4 will go in there. Mine only grew to around 2.5 inches to 3 inches.

I found the first 5 that I had would breed off and on. One would make a depression (which is typical of bass) in the sand and take on more colors to attract one of the others to the nest. I never did see any fry, but the tank was well stocked, so there were too many mouths in the tank for eggs or fry to survive.

I found when I had just the one it would hide amongst the caves and come out to feed. Once I added the other 4, they would semi-school together and stay out and about the tank more. Aggression amongst the group seemed normal with the occasional chasing and they would lip lock and stare at each other and then separate and swim together.

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do they live? I read that they only have 1 year lifespans but clearly that has already been debunked here.

Mine made a $12 meal out of my peppermint shrimp and is still very young.

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been keeping chalks for years - had a bunch pushing 3”, but not 4 1/2”. They’re among my favorite dither fish. Have a quartet currently, between 1 1/2” and 2”.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My chalk bass is a UNIT!

I agree with the very active eater/aggressive. That in mind... the bass in basslet comes out for sure! Love this fish, and lives peacefully with a community of others of course can get harassed by the cleaner wrasse at times with his continuous picking and also the clowns will get mad whenever any gets near their long polyp toadstool.

Your chalk basslet is amazing though so cool to see a large specimen like that!

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea these guys are dither fish. I may end up adding some to the Leviathan when I finally get it set up

OP your specimen is gorgeous!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no idea these guys are dither fish. I may end up adding some to the Leviathan when I finally get it set up

OP your specimen is gorgeous!
GET A TRIO!!!!

Trios are so cool in them, and their mating dances within a trio is usually most likely in the home aquarium state! Also helps with dispersing aggression!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welp. Trio added to the list LOL
Muhahahah YES!

giphy.gif

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait....chalk bass change to an even awesomer color once they mature? Or am I thinking of a different chalk bass? Because the ones on liveAquaria look nothing like Bruce!

....I may have to rethink breeding rack ideas... @ReeferBlaine , are the mating dances vertical or horizontal? How does the spawning work (pelagic, or demersal layers?)

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait....chalk bass change to an even awesomer color once they mature? Or am I thinking of a different chalk bass? Because the ones on liveAquaria look nothing like Bruce!

....I may have to rethink breeding rack ideas... @ReeferBlaine , are the mating dances vertical or horizontal? How does the spawning work (pelagic, or demersal layers?)
Read my post #26 on how my chalk bass would breed. As a side note ORA now has tank bred chalk bass.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful fish and suitable for my 29g. How well do they get along with wrasses? I have space to add only 1.
In my 60 cube I have 4 CB and 1 six line. In my 130 I have 4 CB, fairy wrasse and a melanurus wrasse. No issues in either tank. I also have 2 royal grammas in the 130 and no issues.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%

Back