Jack Mammon Bifrons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....
Ill start by saying this is early days! however, im not exactly taking my time theres just been some red tape involved aswell as getting work done. To keep it somewhat short i had to buy a house that would work with all the stuff we want to do. Then planning and eveything. All whilst trying to work on the house itself.

We've got the foundations done now so im hoping its not going to take too long to start the tank! So planning, planning, planning!

Right, total system volume is going to be something like 2000 gallons i think! I do know the main display will be 1870 gallons approximately.

The DT will go off to a sump/salt water pond. Also in the system is a tray and a tank about 4 foot that'll be for my commet grouper , i want him to have his own tank because then i can track how much food he gets . Hes too shy for one of the big tanks (yes theres a second system in the future that ill also make a premature build thread for) tbh he wouldn't get the amount he needs, especially when i add wrasse. It's a shame but he'd be better off . His tanks goin to be the gothic reef, ill put in a female if/when i track one down. Ill also add a dwarf lion too and possibly a engineer goby but dont count on that. It'll be LPS only .

The dimensions of the DT 10X5X5...

Viewable from the front and top. Sps dominated and ill try my luck with euphilia maybe. The reef will be off the substrate by about a foot and about a foot or so off the top. Itll ark across the span of the aquarium. I guess im looking at MH for lighting. I really carnt dicide whats going on with equipment but iv got plenty of time. CA reactor obviously .

Why so big?
Big fish! I want to be able to keep some of my favourite fish through their whole lives comfortably. This will include some very risky fish but im trying sps n hoping.
Queen Angels
Emperor Angels
Porqupine puffers
Vlemingi tang
Blue Tang
Poss/ still thinking its not big enough
Bamboo Cat shark
Bat fish
Spotted grouper
Box fish

Its going to be abit about timing especially with the possibility of adding a beloved spotted grouper but trying to keep anything from being swallowed whole !
Also, not saying i could, but some of these, such as the grouper and bat fish and shark, as i wouldn't really want them breeding as I'd have to move them on and i dont think people house them correctly, hence this silliness... hahaha

Any imput is very appreciated! Like i say, i carnt dicide on gear!

Last edited:

New Jersey REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6F8EC387-51D2-4DBA-8887-BEC45874B276.gif

5 feet tall! Wow that’s gonna be fun ! Popcorn time!

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So....
Ill start by saying this is early days! however, im not exactly taking my time theres just been some red tape involved aswell as getting work done. To keep it somewhat short i had to buy a house that would work with all the stuff we want to do. Then planning and eveything. All whilst trying to work on the house itself.

We've got the foundations done now so im hoping its not going to take too long to start the tank! So planning, planning, planning!

Right, total system volume is going to be something like 2000 gallons i think! I do know the main display will be 1870 gallons approximately.

The DT will go off to a sump/salt water pond. Also in the system is a tray and a tank about 4 foot that'll be for my commet grouper , i want him to have his own tank because then i can track how much food he gets . Hes too shy for one of the big tanks (yes theres a second system in the future that ill also make a premature build thread for) tbh he wouldn't get the amount he needs, especially when i add wrasse. It's a shame but he'd be better off . His tanks goin to be the gothic reef, ill put in a female if/when i track one down. Ill also add a dwarf lion too and possibly a engineer goby but dont count on that. It'll be LPS only .

The dimensions of the DT 10X5X5...

Viewable from the front and top. Sps dominated and ill try my luck with euphilia maybe. The reef will be off the substrate by about a foot and about a foot or so off the top. Itll ark across the span of the aquarium. I guess im looking at MH for lighting. I really carnt dicide whats going on with equipment but iv got plenty of time. CA reactor obviously .

Why so big?
Big fish! I want to be able to keep some of my favourite fish through their whole lives comfortably. This will include some very risky fish but im trying sps n hoping.
Queen Angels
Emperor Angels
Porqupine puffers
Vlemingi tang
Blue Tang
Poss/ still thinking its not big enough
Bamboo Cat shark
Bat fish
Spotted grouper
Box fish

Its going to be abit about timing especially with the possibility of adding a beloved spotted grouper but trying to keep anything from being swallowed whole !
Also, not saying i could, but some of these, such as the grouper and bat fish and shark, as i wouldn't really want them breeding as I'd have to move them on and i dont think people house them correctly, hence this silliness... hahaha

Any imput is very appreciated! Like i say, i carnt dicide on gear!
Following, comrade

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bigger is better!! Always admire the big Boy Tanks !!

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An epaulete shark might be a better choice, especially if you are going to have top down viewing you could build a little island on top for it to hop around. I have been told that they keep color better into adulthood compared to banded cat sharks. My LFS has them.

OP
OP
Jack Mammon Bifrons

Jack Mammon Bifrons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FishTruck i like them and you never know, but bamboo catsharks what i really shoot to keep, hence why im building the tank to have a huge open substrate. Not just that, the Epaulette wont land itself for a laugh, its just a survival method theyve evolved through where they live like tidepools n shallow reef. Sounds cool to have a land section but itd be too unsafe

OP
OP
Jack Mammon Bifrons

Jack Mammon Bifrons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just about to make a post on stocking potentials. Had a quick read through my initial post and thought I'd better clarify a few things.

So to clarify;
My house is built, i mainly use it for living in... im having quite abit of work done to the house thats taken over, well over, a year to finish. Just doing the last few bits now. Once thats done i can sort out starting the 1000gallon thats going in the house. However, ill get my iguanas upgrade sorted first.

So when i say 2000 gallon tank (actually over 2000 gallon) i mean.... what im calling The Black Gallery Aquarium is a building that im having from the ground up just so i can keep and appreciate the larger saltwater fish that i love. As well as house my other passions.

So its The Black Gallery Aquarium that i have the base and foundations done for not the house lol .

Would you like to see my fish potentials for the 10X5X5 ?

Any questions or anything just ask.

OP
OP
Jack Mammon Bifrons

Jack Mammon Bifrons

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Slight update !

Im still talking to different builders but as it stands the chap whos currently on the job is SUPPOSED to start on approximately February 20th. That walls, roof insulation and external finish.

The sump/pond are now going to be seperate! So the pond (still in the loop) can be slightly higher and have a better pond feel. As, if it were a sump also it'd have a low depth to support back syphen off the dt . Now the pond water hight can be up to the edge . Not sure on anything else pond wise though other than itll have an island vibe with mangroves.

My bottles going on fitting the front panel myself (10×5×5), how likly is it that a aquarium company would come round and just fit the front glass ?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back