The Carpet Question

dan987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new apartment is all carpeted. New carpet, in fact. How can I protect the carpet (and walls) from normal aquarium splashing and mess? What about a tank failure? How can I stop 20-40 gallons of water from ruining my apartment?

Do I put my stand in a storage bin? Shrink wrap my living room?

What are y'all doing? Pictures of you have em.

1505658228753-2023339449.jpg

15056582647251240476489.jpg

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's going on that your planning on spilling 20 to 40 gallons of water?

You could seal the inside of your stand. That would protect against some sump splashing. For the rug. Many years ago when I lived in an apartment and had a 40 gallon tank I just threw a towel down in front of it when I was working in the tank. Never had any issues with the walls

OP
OP
dan987

dan987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's going on that your planning on spilling 20 to 40 gallons of water?

You could seal the inside of your stand. That would protect against some sump splashing. For the rug. Many years ago when I lived in an apartment and had a 40 gallon tank I just threw a towel down in front of it when I was working in the tank. Never had any issues with the walls

Just planning for the worst. Worst case scenario is the tank cracks or something catches fire. Just due dilligence.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just planning for the worst. Worst case scenario is the tank cracks or something catches fire. Just due dilligence.

If the tank cracks... you're getting a wet floor! It would really detract from the beauty of your tank to "over protect" your surroundings. Seal the inside of the stand and don't stress over it. Worst case scenario...a room of carpet would only be around $500... but a good carpet cleaner could covet it up. Shoot, the carpets are going to look worse after your lease time just from you walking on them in your bare feet then damage from your tank.
I believe its called Flex-Seal and is around $40 a gallon at HD/Lowes. You could paint the inside of your stand up to the level of your doors. Then, put a cheap wetness detector in there to give warning if a leak starts.

OP
OP
dan987

dan987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tank cracks... you're getting a wet floor! It would really detract from the beauty of your tank to "over protect" your surroundings. Seal the inside of the stand and don't stress over it. Worst case scenario...a room of carpet would only be around $500... but a good carpet cleaner could covet it up. Shoot, the carpets are going to look worse after your lease time just from you walking on them in your bare feet then damage from your tank.
I believe its called Flex-Seal and is around $40 a gallon at HD/Lowes. You could paint the inside of your stand up to the level of your doors. Then, put a cheap wetness detector in there to give warning if a leak starts.

Valid point. I will definitely take that under advisement. Thank you

ReeferMaddness843

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to have a 90 gallon that was up for a year before seams began to seperate, fortunately, it never leaked. Then moved to an 80 shallow. When I moved to the 80 you couldn't even tell where the 90 was after hit it with a carpet cleaner. I like to live dangerously. Here's a shot of mine in my apartment. Even tossed in a 20 gallon ato for good measure. Lol!!
I agree, the towel on the floor in front is your best friend.
IMG_8714.JPG

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 153 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back