Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely gorgeous
Great looking pictures as always!
Thanks everyone! We'll I wasn't expecting to pickup anything new for a while after the Blueberry Gorgonian but I went to Portland today and saw 2 things at Cuttlefish & Corals (great store, check it out if you're ever in Portland) that i just couldn't pass up. Pictures coming later ;)

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 2 things I snagged today included; Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse & A Orange Tentacle Tube Anemone!
I'll go more in depth about the Possum Wrasse once I get a good picture, he was showing stress coloration and overall was pretty freaked out with the 3 hour drive so I released him and now letting him settle in. Didn't want to freak hom out too much in the photography container.

Which leads me to the next addition, a Tube Anemone! It's kind of funny since I was talking to my friend from the Aquarium of the Pacific and he mentioned I should add one but I said I haven't seen one for sale in a while. What a coincidence lol
This one is just a standard Orange Tentacle w/ Green Center, which is still very striking. I don't have an orange filter for my camera yet unfortunately so I took a shot of it under blues with my phone and it's striking.
Despite common myth, Tube Anemone stings are actually really weak. To my knowledge, they're planktivores / fulter feeders and only affect fish if they're really weak & dying, so I have no worries about this one.
The Tube is about 2" and the tentacles are around 4". I'm interested to see how it'll do in a high flow area since a lot of times when I've seen them, they're in pretty low flow (such as the Monterey Bay Aquarium) so I might have to experiment with placement. So far it seems happy, but I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks.

Also some new shots of the Blueberry, getting more extension every day!
DSC09617.jpg
DSC09618.jpg

20230714_204207.jpg

DSC09613.jpg
DSC09612.jpg
DSC09609.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the 2 things I snagged today included; Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse & A Orange Tentacle Tube Anemone!
I'll go more in depth about the Possum Wrasse once I get a good picture, he was showing stress coloration and overall was pretty freaked out with the 3 hour drive so I released him and now letting him settle in. Didn't want to freak hom out too much in the photography container.

Which leads me to the next addition, a Tube Anemone! It's kind of funny since I was talking to my friend from the Aquarium of the Pacific and he mentioned I should add one but I said I haven't seen one for sale in a while. What a coincidence lol
This one is just a standard Orange Tentacle w/ Green Center, which is still very striking. I don't have an orange filter for my camera yet unfortunately so I took a shot of it under blues with my phone and it's striking.
Despite common myth, Tube Anemone stings are actually really weak. To my knowledge, they're planktivores / fulter feeders and only affect fish if they're really weak & dying, so I have no worries about this one.
The Tube is about 2" and the tentacles are around 4". I'm interested to see how it'll do in a high flow area since a lot of times when I've seen them, they're in pretty low flow (such as the Monterey Bay Aquarium) so I might have to experiment with placement. So far it seems happy, but I'll keep an eye on it for the next few weeks.

Also some new shots of the Blueberry, getting more extension every day!
DSC09617.jpg
DSC09618.jpg

20230714_204207.jpg

DSC09613.jpg
DSC09612.jpg
DSC09609.jpg
Some updated shots of the Tube Anemone, surprisingly it's got a lot of tentacle extension and really likes the high flow.
DSC09648.jpg
DSC09647.jpg

And also an A. Isoxya shot because why not :) I swear everytime I look at it, I notice more polyps I didn't see before
DSC09650.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got some decent pics of the Possum Wrasse! It wasn't scared of the camera, mostly just eating what I believe are the rotifers. My dream pic would be getting either the Basslet or Wrasse in front of the A. Isoxya while it's fully open, that would be a stunning shot especially if it's the basslet but the Swalesi is too shy for that haha.

Also some updated shots of the Blueberry! Super high flow seems to be what's bringing all the polyps out. Soon they should be fully extended, such a stunning Coral.
DSC09683.jpg
DSC09684.jpg
DSC09678.jpg
DSC09659.jpg
DSC09662.jpg
DSC09660.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the A. Isoxya is shedding again, both pieces. I'm a little concerned since I'm not sure if it's supposed to be shedding this much (I might've stressed it a bit yesterday, I think I topped off the tank too fast) but everything else is happy so it might just be an individual thing. I'm really excited since usually after a shed, the coral tends to be extremely fluffy and fully extended so can't wait for that.
DSC09741.jpg

In the mean time, more Blueberry pics and a Menella pic, there was a problem with the Red Sea Whip I'll talk a bit about soon since I want to showcase the bad as well but thankfully it's making a comeback.
DSC09727.jpg
DSC09726.jpg
DSC09729.jpg
DSC09728.jpg
DSC09733.jpg
DSC09737.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the A. Isoxya is shedding again, both pieces. I'm a little concerned since I'm not sure if it's supposed to be shedding this much (I might've stressed it a bit yesterday, I think I topped off the tank too fast) but everything else is happy so it might just be an individual thing. I'm really excited since usually after a shed, the coral tends to be extremely fluffy and fully extended so can't wait for that.
Levi Peterson mentioned that his A. Isoxya also sheds a lot which is really interesting and something to note. I haven't really seen any of the other Gorgs shed since I've had them but so far this is the second shed of the Isoxya so that's interesting why it's just a species thing. So it seems like both pieces are just going to go through their shed cycle and hopefully soon it'll open back up

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC09741.jpg

In the mean time, more Blueberry pics and a Menella pic, there was a problem with the Red Sea Whip I'll talk a bit about soon since I want to showcase the bad as well but thankfully it's making a comeback.
DSC09727.jpg
DSC09726.jpg
DSC09729.jpg
DSC09728.jpg
DSC09733.jpg
DSC09737.jpg
Those blueberry pictures are incredible looking!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what happened to the Red Sea Whip? | This is a weird story about how the Red Sea Whip almost died on me. A little while ago I noticed some tissue loss on the Red Sea Whip and thought it was kind of strange but didn't think much of it. Sometimes the corals have a bit of recession and then bounce back. Then fast forward about a week & half later, about 60% of it had died. I was completely stumped on what happened to it, especially since this species is a really mellow NPS. A lot of the branches lost all it's tissue and all that remained was the bare white skeleton (which is actually pretty interesting to me since a lot of NPS Gorgs have a black skeleton so that was a cool find). I gave it a dip and it was actually coming back slowly. That made me think it was a bacterial infection of some sort it caught somehow. But another note is that the spots where it lost flesh initially were very random so that's usually a sign of parasites, since they tend to eat the tissue. And coincidentally, at around the same time I added the Possum Wrasse, that's when the tissue loss completely stopped so maybe the Wrasse had eaten all the potential parasites?
These are just 2 theories I have. All that I know is that it's making a comeback and actually about 95% is back to being healthy!
I know a lot of this thread and journey has been pretty positive so far so I wanted to include this as a struggle I faced just to show that not everything goes perfect. Another interesting thing is that the tissue recovery areas are a light green which I don't think is normal in other corals so this one is definitely unique. Pretty much the areas you see in the pic are the only areas that need healing but it's getting there.
DSC09747.jpg

In other news, the big A. Isoxya is done shedding and back to being open again! The smaller piece is now also shedding so it should take a few days. The Blueberry is also doing "well" so far (as in no tissue loss, polyps are almost always out), and I also got some new shots of the Possum Wrasse! To my surprise, this guy has been super photogenic, even coming up to the camera out of curiosity which is how i got some of the very close macros.
DSC09772.jpg
DSC09770.jpg
DSC09762.jpg
DSC09756.jpg
DSC09767.jpg
DSC09758.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Listening to the new Reef Therapy that dropped today and Mark's brief comment about Non-Photosynthetic Tanks and how people usually bail out on them within the first 6 months made me realize, this tank is almost 6 months old! (March 3rd I believe is when I set it up).
I think I touched base on it a little bit ago but I'm so happy with how this tank is turning out. Besides the random Red Sea Whip issue, it's been a smooth ride so far (knock on wood). Honestly, I've been heavily thinking about upgrading to something a little bit bigger before I go to college (going into my senior year of highschool) and get restricted to most likely something like a 10gal in a dorm. Specifically looking at a 55 (4ft) so I can give a second shot at the Randall's Anthias and get some other Deepwater Fish that get a bit bigger which would be amazing. But it's still in the "idea" phase haha.
There hasn't been a ton going on lately, I think I'm looking to add another fish soon. There hasn't been a ton of new species of NPS coming in recently but I do miss having a Yellow Finger Gorgonian so I may add a few common species such as the Finger Gorgs and a couple Leptogorgia.
I am actually looking to add a clean up crew, since there's actually no inverts in here besides the Tube Anemone haha
I'm specifically looking at some Nassarius and a Harlequin Serpent Star to help with the sand bed and to eat uneaten food such as the Mysis that sometimes escape from the big polyp corals. As much as I'd like to add a cleaner shrimp or blood shrimp, the risk of them stealing food is too high so I'll save them for another build. Same with crabs but maybe Dwarf Blue Leg hermits are okay.

Here's a pic of the Menella I took a little while ago, this one is a stunner!
DSC09737.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
THE TANK IS STILL ALIVE!
It's been a while haha, I've been quite busy lately so I haven't been able to take as many photos. And with the fires going on in Canada and Eastern Washington, the air quality has been really poor here in Western Washington. Along with a heatwave we just got, the corals aren't too happy. It's mostly just not being open as much due to the high Temps, but that should be solved soon.
Surprisingly, the Blueberry Gorgonian doesn't seem to be affected much which is awesome considering I thought this Coral would die within the first few weeks. It's been over a month since having it and it's doing well so far.
I'm hoping to get a Yellow Finger Gorgonian and another Swiftia piece in here soon, along with some CUC.
Hopefully it rains here soon and the corals go back to being happy!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely gorgeous! Do you have a recent FTS?
Thank you so much! Unfortunately I don't but that'll be top priority once everything is happy again. I did recently upgrade to the Sony a7iv and the photos coming out are :star-struck: so they should be pretty sweet

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! Unfortunately I don't but that'll be top priority once everything is happy again. I did recently upgrade to the Sony a7iv and the photos coming out are :star-struck: so they should be pretty sweet
speaking of photos, a new addition coming next week I just picked up should make this tank a whole lot more sweet. Or "festive" I guess you could say :winking-face: I finally found one after a super long time and while i've kept the other species that are available, this is like the holy grail, and it has some other inhabitants on there I was really looking for. The sale at Corals.com really helped since for the quality and quantity of the piece, this is the best price I've ever seen one for and I don't think I'll come across it again so I knew I had to finally take the chance. Hopefully they come in alright, it's supposed to be rainy here next week thank goodness so the heat shouldn't be an issue. Now to get the tank clean for the new comers!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I wasn't very observant today and accidentally left my window open before I left, and while the fires have subsided in the Eastern part of the state, the air quality and smoke is still lingering and a bunch of ash particles came through my window and landed in the tank since I don't have a lid (changing very soon after this) which caused some of the parameters to go wack. I immediately did a 50% WC after I noticed all the ash on the surface. Combined with the heatwave we got in the past week, some of the corals got it worse than others. Specifically the big colony of Menella and the Red Sea Whip have notable tissue loss though they should bounce back. It also looks like I may've lost the Swalesi and possibly the Yellow Banded Possum unfortunately. The Swalesi stopped eating a little while ago and the heat wave might've been the final straw. I haven't seen the Possum recently though I'm hoping it's just hiding and it didn't pass away. Fingers crossed
Another thing I didn't even notice was somehow my fridge that I keep all the food in got unplugged so all of it spoiled due to the heat which isn't the biggest deal as I needed to restock anyways and will do that tomorrow, I thought it was just good to mention to make sure to double check your equipment and that everything is working.

Something interesting and kind of cool is that my Tube Anemone actually abandoned it's tube. At first I thought it was dead since I've never heard of this happening but a quick search here on R2R mentions that they do this either when they've gotten too big for their current tube or if conditions in the spot they were in are now unfavorable. Based off recent events, I want to go with the latter, but other than that, it's still doing well. I never knew how long they were! It really gives a sense of scale on how deep they borrow in the sand.

Other than that, the other corals are doing well minus some minimal tissue loss. Hopefully the rain this week clears up the rest of the smoke since I'd really hate for this to happen again when the new inhabitants arrive. And the photos coming out of the A7iv are really awesome, it's the first time I've been able to photograph my own corals since everything has been stressed by the heat.
DSC00605.jpg
DSC00607.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I wasn't very observant today and accidentally left my window open before I left, and while the fires have subsided in the Eastern part of the state, the air quality and smoke is still lingering and a bunch of ash particles came through my window and landed in the tank since I don't have a lid (changing very soon after this) which caused some of the parameters to go wack. I immediately did a 50% WC after I noticed all the ash on the surface. Combined with the heatwave we got in the past week, some of the corals got it worse than others. Specifically the big colony of Menella and the Red Sea Whip have notable tissue loss though they should bounce back. It also looks like I may've lost the Swalesi and possibly the Yellow Banded Possum unfortunately. The Swalesi stopped eating a little while ago and the heat wave might've been the final straw. I haven't seen the Possum recently though I'm hoping it's just hiding and it didn't pass away. Fingers crossed
Another thing I didn't even notice was somehow my fridge that I keep all the food in got unplugged so all of it spoiled due to the heat which isn't the biggest deal as I needed to restock anyways and will do that tomorrow, I thought it was just good to mention to make sure to double check your equipment and that everything is working.

Something interesting and kind of cool is that my Tube Anemone actually abandoned it's tube. At first I thought it was dead since I've never heard of this happening but a quick search here on R2R mentions that they do this either when they've gotten too big for their current tube or if conditions in the spot they were in are now unfavorable. Based off recent events, I want to go with the latter, but other than that, it's still doing well. I never knew how long they were! It really gives a sense of scale on how deep they borrow in the sand.

Other than that, the other corals are doing well minus some minimal tissue loss. Hopefully the rain this week clears up the rest of the smoke since I'd really hate for this to happen again when the new inhabitants arrive. And the photos coming out of the A7iv are really awesome, it's the first time I've been able to photograph my own corals since everything has been stressed by the heat.
DSC00605.jpg
DSC00607.jpg
Sorry about the smoke entering your house!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chin up man it happens! Bounce back come back stronger!
Sorry about the smoke entering your house!
Thanks everyone, I think I'm at least glad this happened before the new inhabitants come since I think with how much ash was on the surface, a good amount of them wouldn't have survived so good thing I got everything sorted out before
Thankfully I'm seeing some extension again, it'll take a few days but everything looks to be bouncing back so far just fine. Tomorrow should be a fun day, been waiting a loooong time for these guys :)

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're here!
Christmas in August? That's right! Meet the Christmas Tree Worms!
These have been a holy grail of mine for so many years ever since I saw them in a BBC Documentary narrated by David Attenborough when I was in Elementary school. While I've kept the other species that's available in the hobby (smaller and less color variety), these Australian ones specifically have been on my bucketlist.
After seeing them pop up periodically, I finally grabbed from @coralsdotcom and couldn't be happier. My main motivator were the Yellow Pagurita Hermits that live alongside the worms on the Porities, but turns out there's actually other species of fan worm and barnacles on here too, totalling the amount of species that live on this small piece of Coral to about 5 which is insane.
I'm still getting used to photographing them, it's hard since you can't really get everything in focus and they are quite small, though I'm experimenting with it.

I've counted about 8 or 9 Main Worms and 3 Crabs (in the photo on the site, I only saw 7 Worms and 2 crabs so this was awesome to discover). There are many different colors but my favorite has to be either the Red, Gold, & White worm or the Bright Orange since that's a classic.
There's also interestingly enough at least 1 or 2 other species of fan worm on here, and a barnacle. I never knew Barnacles came on Porities but that just adds to the cool biodiversity.
DSC00822.jpg
DSC00833.jpg
DSC00817.jpg
DSC00844.jpg
DSC00851.jpg
DSC00837.jpg
DSC00827.jpg
DSC00815.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're here!
Christmas in August? That's right! Meet the Christmas Tree Worms!
These have been a holy grail of mine for so many years ever since I saw them in a BBC Documentary narrated by David Attenborough when I was in Elementary school. While I've kept the other species that's available in the hobby (smaller and less color variety), these Australian ones specifically have been on my bucketlist.
After seeing them pop up periodically, I finally grabbed from @coralsdotcom and couldn't be happier. My main motivator were the Yellow Pagurita Hermits that live alongside the worms on the Porities, but turns out there's actually other species of fan worm and barnacles on here too, totalling the amount of species that live on this small piece of Coral to about 5 which is insane.
I'm still getting used to photographing them, it's hard since you can't really get everything in focus and they are quite small, though I'm experimenting with it.

I've counted about 8 or 9 Main Worms and 3 Crabs (in the photo on the site, I only saw 7 Worms and 2 crabs so this was awesome to discover). There are many different colors but my favorite has to be either the Red, Gold, & White worm or the Bright Orange since that's a classic.
There's also interestingly enough at least 1 or 2 other species of fan worm on here, and a barnacle. I never knew Barnacles came on Porities but that just adds to the cool biodiversity.
DSC00822.jpg
DSC00833.jpg
DSC00817.jpg
DSC00844.jpg
DSC00851.jpg
DSC00837.jpg
DSC00827.jpg
DSC00815.jpg
Christmas tree worms are my dream!!!
Love it. I’ll be interested to see how you fare with them.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas tree worms are my dream!!!
Love it. I’ll be interested to see how you fare with them.
So far so good with them in terms of I've seen what I believe are all the worms out at least once. Some are more reclusive than others which is interesting but the ones that stay hidden most of the time are the smaller ones such as the Blue and another Orange so I guess it makes sense.
The LFS didn't get their Reef Nutrition shipment yet so I just picked up what they had left which was ROE and RotiFeast, along with AlgaeBarn 'OceanMagik' which should cover most of the coral's needs for a while since I think I'll just make a big order from RN directly. I've always wanted to try OceanMagik so this was a good opportunity, the worms seem to be having a great feeding response, and the Red Sea Whip also seems to love it which is awesome since that one took a big hit from the heat wave.
I did discover 2 Worms I didn't see before, which are the Darker Orange and Blue/Yellow/White combo Worm. Also 2 of the Hermits are actually realllly tiny, I'm talking like 1/4th the size of my pinky nail tiny which is insane, I didn't see them on the picture so these are definitely going to be interesting to watch grow. That leaves me with I think 4 Hermits total and I believe 10 worms? I need to find time to sit down and watch them all come out at once. But this has been a joy so far!
DSC00955.jpg
DSC00942.jpg
DSC00935.jpg
DSC00961.jpg
DSC00966.jpg
DSC00954.jpg
20230829_195516.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back