OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a very cool video. The black background makes the photos and videos so much better!
Thank you! 100% agree. I just need to add some black duck tape to the lid to make a cool spotlight effect on the corals which will help make the back even darker.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something I noticed with the Swiftia is that it's actually healed at the base! I noticed when I first added it, it was missing some flesh from the base. I think I might've scraped too much flesh off when glueing it, or some bits of glue got on causing the flesh to die off. That part is completely healed now which is great. I'm also noticing some small knubs on some of the branches, which is hopefully growth. I'm not sure what the growth rate is like for this species, though it's pretty happy right now. I'm only feeding once a day at night, though it would probably benefit from multiple feedings. I'm just getting the system used to do a few feedings. Otherwise, I can't wait to see it get big and showy.
DSC06649.jpg
DSC06651.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Week
It's been one week since I've first got the corals. It feels like a lot longer than a week but maybe that's because I'm up at night feeding them lol. But anyways, I'm super happy and excited with how they've done so far. Here's a quick run down:

Swiftia | By far the one I'm most surprised and excited with since it's a gorgonian. I was expecting this species to be quite difficult at first, but it's been the easiest coral out of the three. It's shown full polyp extension almost 24/7 though it closes up in the afternoon. It's most extended at around midnight and the morning. It's healed at the base where I cut some flesh to glue, and it looks like it's starting to grow new branches soon. Hopefully this is the first of many gorgonians to do well in this tank.

Sun Coral | This species has been "meh". It takes time for them to get really showy and wavy and I'm seeing more and more polyp extension each night which is good. I'm hoping that it'll get the length of how you see them at Public Aquariums, and it looks like it's getting there.

Dendro | By the far pickiest out of the three so far, but it looks like it just takes time for it to come out. I saw the most polyp extension last night, with a little more being seen each night so I'm excited to see what this one looks like at full extension. I would love to get a Fathead Dendro soon which I believe is more showy than this species, but this one is also looking to be really nice.

My next additions I'm hoping to add are Red / Gold Menella, and most likely a Black Sun and a Fathead Dendro, though I'm still deciding.
Currently feeding a mix of Reef Nutrition PhytoFeast, OysterFeast, ROE, and PacPods once a night.
Photos are from last night, I still need to get a pic of the Dendro, perhaps later tonight.
DSC06659.JPG
DSC06663.JPG

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Fish

Yesterday I picked up a species I've wanted for a long time, Randall's Anthias (P. Randalli) ! I wanted to wait a bit before getting them since I wanted more corals to grow out + I'm going on a trip next week, but the LFS had a killer deal on them ($20 per, usually they're at least $60per) so I couldn't pass on that.
This is the species I talked about earlier in the thread. They're a deeper water species and tend to stick more to the rocks so they're not as active as Lyertails or other Pseudanthias species. This means they don't need to be fed as much (I'm still trying to feed 2 - 3 times a day though) and they need cooler water (75F and lower lighting.)
The males get really nice purple stripes and blue tints, and the females get a nice pink and yellow color. Definitely one of the nicer species.
One of is quite skinny, so I'm hoping shes fattens up. They seem to be eating the PacPods, but I'm hatching out some Live BBS for them. They passed on the ROE surprisingly and the TDO. I'll have to train them to eat the prepared stuff but the PacPods seem to be working which is a good sign. Hopefully they grow and do well in this tank!
DSC06689.jpg
DSC06676.jpg
DSC06674.jpg
DSC06691.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your photography skills are brilliant. Love all the pictures
Thank you! That means a lot, I've been trying to figure out news ways of photographing fish and it seems like just having them in an empty tank with a black background heavily reduces stress and makes them a lot brighter

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that they've settled in, the colors are really popping! They're chowing down on PacPods and Live Baby Brine thankfully. You can see the blue accents on the fins are more prominent now. They don't look as skinny as when I first got them, so I'll keep feeding pretty heavy.. Hopefully they'll become plump in no time
DSC06731.jpg
DSC06742.jpg
DSC06745.jpg
DSC06746.jpg

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it looks like I lost one the Randall's. Yesterday all of a sudden it just stopped eating and was hiding in the rocks, and now today I don't see it all anywhere. I'm not sure what happened, the only obvious issue was that it came in skinny but it was eating the day before. I'm wondering if I should pickup a 3rd one after a bit to complete the Trio or just leave it as a pair. I think since they're super recent additions, adding a third would be okay before they get too established and potentially bully a newcomer to the group.

The good thing though is that the other one that was skinny has fattened up quite noticeably. The Swiftia is showing new polyps and new growth, and I'm seeing new heads on the Sun Coral. The Sun Coral and Dendro aren't acclimated to light yet so they're still mostly open whenever it's off, but besides that everyone else is doing well.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the Randall's, they all looked like they came in thin. You've done a good job managing to get them eating.

Hopefully the other two continue to put on some weight and get happy and healthy in your care. They are looking beautiful already

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the Randall's, they all looked like they came in thin. You've done a good job managing to get them eating.

Hopefully the other two continue to put on some weight and get happy and healthy in your care. They are looking beautiful already
Thank you! Yeah I probably should've waited to see if they'd fatten up at the store but I couldn't resist. Thank goodness they're eating most of the foods I'm offering, they've turned out to be pretty good eaters now. Especially for the PacPods, which thankfully all it takes is 2-3 drops so it's super easy for someone to feed when I'm away (such as starting tomorrow).
Hopefully everything turns out alright when I'm gone but I trust my Mom with the feeding

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately it looks like I lost one the Randall's. Yesterday all of a sudden it just stopped eating and was hiding in the rocks, and now today I don't see it all anywhere. I'm not sure what happened, the only obvious issue was that it came in skinny but it was eating the day before. I'm wondering if I should pickup a 3rd one after a bit to complete the Trio or just leave it as a pair. I think since they're super recent additions, adding a third would be okay before they get too established and potentially bully a newcomer to the group.

The good thing though is that the other one that was skinny has fattened up quite noticeably. The Swiftia is showing new polyps and new growth, and I'm seeing new heads on the Sun Coral. The Sun Coral and Dendro aren't acclimated to light yet so they're still mostly open whenever it's off, but besides that everyone else is doing well.
Sorry about the loss, but at least one of them is doing well!!

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! Now you just need a Dr. Seuss Soapfish, for a measly $8,000! :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing::face-with-hand-over-mouth: (100% joking - wrong tank size and that price in INSANE, lol). Absolutely looks like something that would be in a Seuss book though!
Oh yeah haha. No way I can afford one right now though I'd love to pitch that idea to the staff at the Aquarium to get one for our Dr. Seuss Tank. I just really want some fish in there.. Hopefully when they setup the new NPS Tank at the new Ocean Pavillion, there will be fish in there

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah haha. No way I can afford one right now though I'd love to pitch that idea to the staff at the Aquarium to get one for our Dr. Seuss Tank. I just really want some fish in there.. Hopefully when they setup the new NPS Tank at the new Ocean Pavillion, there will be fish in there
Can't wait to see what the new Seuss tank ends up like in the new aquarium - such a cool idea for a tank, I can see why you're working to emulate it yourself! :) I do hope they get some fish in there.

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from my trip to Monterey Bay and San Francisco, and there's good news and bad news:

Bad News; Unfortunately, I did lose another Randall's while I was gone. I did have my Mom feed the tank 3x times a day of PacPods since they're easy to feed and before I left it did look like it was putting on some weight so I'm not sure what happened. No fault to my mom, she did everything right and even removed it for me. The remaining female still looks hardy. I'll wait a few more months before I bump it back up to a Trio since I learned I can add more females if they're not transitioning without any problems if this one does turn into a male.

Good News; The corals are still doing well. The tubastrea and dendro can go a few days without eating, so I was generally worried about the Swiftia since it is a gorg but none of the corals have shown any signs of tissue recession. I give the credit to my Mom for feeding the tank that often. I'm reaching one month with these corals and am super happy with how they're doing. I'm hoping to add a few more soon, probably after the one month mark which is the 14th.

Here's a picture of one of the Twighlight Zone Reef Tank at the Steinhart Aquarium (California Academy of Sciences) in San Francisco. It has various species of Cirrhipathes (Wire Corals), Antipathes (Black Corals), Menella, Tubastrea, Dendros, weird pillar like sponges, and different Deepwater Fish. I might post the content over on the photography forum.
DSC07609.jpg
DSC07612.jpg

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back from my trip to Monterey Bay and San Francisco, and there's good news and bad news:

Bad News; Unfortunately, I did lose another Randall's while I was gone. I did have my Mom feed the tank 3x times a day of PacPods since they're easy to feed and before I left it did look like it was putting on some weight so I'm not sure what happened. No fault to my mom, she did everything right and even removed it for me. The remaining female still looks hardy. I'll wait a few more months before I bump it back up to a Trio since I learned I can add more females if they're not transitioning without any problems if this one does turn into a male.

Good News; The corals are still doing well. The tubastrea and dendro can go a few days without eating, so I was generally worried about the Swiftia since it is a gorg but none of the corals have shown any signs of tissue recession. I give the credit to my Mom for feeding the tank that often. I'm reaching one month with these corals and am super happy with how they're doing. I'm hoping to add a few more soon, probably after the one month mark which is the 14th.

Here's a picture of one of the Twighlight Zone Reef Tank at the Steinhart Aquarium (California Academy of Sciences) in San Francisco. It has various species of Cirrhipathes (Wire Corals), Antipathes (Black Corals), Menella, Tubastrea, Dendros, weird pillar like sponges, and different Deepwater Fish. I might post the content over on the photography forum.
DSC07609.jpg
DSC07612.jpg
Sorry about the anthias, that's a bummer. But very nice of your mom to help you out - not sure my mom would have attempted to remove a dead fish for me so kudos to yours! That Twilight Zone tank is SO neat - what species of fish are in it?

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the anthias, that's a bummer. But very nice of your mom to help you out - not sure my mom would have attempted to remove a dead fish for me so kudos to yours! That Twilight Zone tank is SO neat - what species of fish are in it?
Thank you! Yeah I have to give a lot of credit to her. She doesn't know much about Fish but if she didn't help feed the tank, I think the repercussions would've been worse.

For that tank, off the top of my head the species are:
Purple Masked Angel (Paracentropyge venusta)
Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (Wetmorella nigropinnata)
Golden Rhomboid Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rhomboidalis)
Rosey Veiled Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa) (The one that was officially described last year)
A harem of (I think I counted 8) Subburst Anthias (Serranocirrhitus latus)
And either a Japanese Golden Hawk or a Plectranthius species (it wasn't signed so I don't have a solid answer) and a Pair of another Deepwater Anthias species (I don't remember the latin name unfortunately but I can probably find it somewhere)

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Yeah I have to give a lot of credit to her. She doesn't know much about Fish but if she didn't help feed the tank, I think the repercussions would've been worse.

For this tank, off the top of my head the species are:
Rosey Veiled Fairy Wrasse (Cirrhilabrus finifenmaa) (The one that was officially described last year)
And either a Japanese Golden Hawk or a Plectranthius species (it wasn't signed so I don't have a solid answer) and a Pair of another Deepwater Anthias species (I don't remember the latin name unfortunately but I can probably find it somewhere)
A lot of great variety of fish for your tank!!

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For that tank, off the top of my head the species are:
Awesome fish! A male c. finifenmaa is actually my newest addition to my tank - a real beauty. :)

OP
OP
Northwest_Scapes_

Northwest_Scapes_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Easter! I hope everyone had an awesome Sunday yesterday!

There's not that much to update right now. The remaining Anthias has learned from the Pink Streaked that ROE is food and she's now starting to eat ROE too which is great. I'm very keen on getting another 2 or 3 corals as the next batch. These include: Red / Gold Menella, Red Sea Whip (Ellisella schmitti) (Pretty easy going I've heard in terms of NPS), I'd really like a Yellow Leptogorgia since yellow is a color I think I'll be lacking when everything is filled out, but I haven't seen one in a while so that one will probably wait.
Thankfully, I haven't' really noticed any algae. So species like Cerith, Astrea, etc I probably won't add to here unless a get a huge break out for some reason. I'm hesitant to add any shrimp too since Cleaner Shrimp especially are notorious for stealing Mysis and Pellets out of the mouth of Sun Corals and Dendros so I'll hold off on adding any and save them for my Macroalgae Tank upgrade. I'll most likely leave the CUC to Nassarius that'll help clean up any leftover food.

Something I did notice which is a good sign are the appearance of Pineapple Sponges! I'm not sure how they got in but they're a welcome sight. I know Pineapple Sponges aren't the best indicator for telling how other sponge species will do, but I do plan on having a sponge or 2 in here down the road. Probably with how much Phyto I'm adding on a daily basis, they decided to pop up.

Something I did notice though unfortunately is that the Dendro did suffer some tissue loss while I was away so I'll have to feed that one extra or change where it's placed in the tank which I might experiment with. Other than that, it looks to be doing alright.
Overall, I think everything is going well so far. Perhaps it's because I'm only working with the "easier" species right now (that success I'm sure will go down when I decide to try a Blueberry Gorg :face-without-mouth:) but I'm happy to see the corals are coming up on a month and everything is going well.

(Swiftia pics from tonight)
DSC07863.jpg
DSC07864.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back