The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about the bad quality blue light special. These were taken with my iphone. Most of these corals were 1/4 nubs when they were put in 8 months ago. System is just 12 mos old.

IMG_1368.JPG
IMG_1369.JPG
IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1371.JPG
IMG_1372.JPG
IMG_1374.JPG
IMG_1375.JPG
Coral are looking good and healthy.
Yeah... blue pictures make i very annoying to recognize anything.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral are looking good and healthy.
Yeah... blue pictures make i very annoying to recognize anything.

Thanks Glenn,

I researched for methodologies for 4 years before starting this system, and began applying your method about 8 months ago. I was hesitant at first because I didn't have enough experience to make my own ingredients, and I wanted to use you calculator. So far so good. My Po4 is still a little high, and I'm struggling to keep my nitrates at 2.5 (They keep dropping) so I'm testing No3 every 5 days or so to keep dosing. I'm thinking my Po4 is higher because it's out of balance with my No3. I'm trying to find the right balance between carbon dosing and stable No3. What was your experience with Po4 (The swtich) when you had to stop dosing FE+ to Fe Trace, when corals began to consume most of the available Po4? Does that question make sense?

-Tom

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Glenn,

I researched for methodologies for 4 years before starting this system, and began applying your method about 8 months ago. I was hesitant at first because I didn't have enough experience to make my own ingredients, and I wanted to use you calculator. So far so good. My Po4 is still a little high, and I'm struggling to keep my nitrates at 2.5 (They keep dropping) so I'm testing No3 every 5 days or so to keep dosing. I'm thinking my Po4 is higher because it's out of balance with my No3. I'm trying to find the right balance between carbon dosing and stable No3. What was your experience with Po4 (The swtich) when you had to stop dosing FE+ to Fe Trace, when corals began to consume most of the available Po4? Does that question make sense?

-Tom

I've found, like you, that sometimes you need to test more often than Glenn recommends. But I am lazy and kill acros because I don't! Automated testing can't come soon enough.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found, like you, that sometimes you need to test more often than Glenn recommends. But I am lazy and kill acros because I don't! Automated testing can't come soon enough.

Yeah, I've found that even if something is not right, it's best not to jump in and correct it right away. Case in point, I recently went through a 20 hour power outage. The last pictures I took above were from today. As can be imagined, this caused havoc w/my alk consumption. Currently, my alk dropped from 8.5 pre outage, to 6.1 immediately after. I haven't freaked out and dumped a bunch of bi-carb into my tank. I started raising alk w/dosing slowly. It's still 6.5 at this point but it's rising slowly. The corals didn't seem to care that my numbers were wrong ;-). I don't test a lot of different things, but what I do test regularly is alk, po4, and no3. All of those tests are super simple. I occasionally test MG, and CA. For everything else, I use ICP every 3 months or so to adjust Sr, K, and B. I know Glenn doesn't do ICP, but I find it's easier and cheaper for me for those elements.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've found that even if something is not right, it's best not to jump in and correct it right away. Case in point, I recently went through a 20 hour power outage. The last pictures I took above were from today. As can be imagined, this caused havoc w/my alk consumption. Currently, my alk dropped from 8.5 pre outage, to 6.1 immediately after. I haven't freaked out and dumped a bunch of bi-carb into my tank. I started raising alk w/dosing slowly. It's still 6.5 at this point but it's rising slowly. The corals didn't seem to care that my numbers were wrong ;-). I don't test a lot of different things, but what I do test regularly is alk, po4, and no3. All of those tests are super simple. I occasionally test MG, and CA. For everything else, I use ICP every 3 months or so to adjust Sr, K, and B. I know Glenn doesn't do ICP, but I find it's easier and cheaper for me for those elements.

No doubt, to all you said. Alk, P and N are very important, but the rest I am so lazy that I just send off the ICP test instead of doing it myself. I am familiar with all of the issues with ICP testing the way it's done in the hobby, but I just don't want to do all of those tests individually myself. Too lazy! That's why the DSR method is great. ICP just makes it even easier, though a bit more expensive.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Glenn,

-Tom

Haha.. DSR is only a defined toolset which can control all values. You need to learn and manage it. These topic are meant to learn how to.
You just need to find the baseline dosing which is best for you system.
No need to measure a lot, because your system also need time to adjust to the new setting.
Corals and bacteria consume NO3/PO4.

If po4 structurally drop to low than changing from Fe+ to FeTrace is a good choice.
If you strip away all PO4, NO3 is bound to rise, even with lots of carbonvs dosing.

Sherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya DSR is really a very good toolset to help any reefers to control the parameter value.
I am using it in my system for the past 1 year plus and now I have very stable PO4 and NO3
I am using DSR iron and carbon only.
All others I am using other brand because DSR is not easily available in Singapore.
Shipping is expensive that is why I only ship DSR iron and carbon only

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am courteous how many people in the us would be interested in a group buy of DSR chemicals? If I understand the group buy rules here, Glenn or someone would need to sponsor the buy. Glenn if your willing to, I would be willing to pitch in to help distribute items on the US side.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a save distance from sales activities.

It's boring and i have other things i like more.

I love building things, inspiring people and being usefull to society, but most of all, i want to be free of obligations

If i may believe thirth parties are busy researching to get it outside the netherlands i.e. US
I am courteous how many people in the us would be interested in a group buy of DSR chemicals? If I understand the group buy rules here, Glenn or someone would need to sponsor the buy. Glenn if your willing to, I would be willing to pitch in to help distribute items on the US side.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya DSR is really a very good toolset to help any reefers to control the parameter value.
I am using it in my system for the past 1 year plus and now I have very stable PO4 and NO3
I am using DSR iron and carbon only.
All others I am using other brand because DSR is not easily available in Singapore.
Shipping is expensive that is why I only ship DSR iron and carbon only
Yeah.. international small package shipments are very expensive[emoji44]

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the ultimate solution would be to get someone like @BRS to carry it ;-).

U

User1

View Badges
I assumed, probably incorrectly, that most of the elements you dose would be a DIY product much like the stuff talked about here in the chemistry sub forum.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed, probably incorrectly, that most of the elements you dose would be a DIY product much like the stuff talked about here in the chemistry sub forum.

You're not incorrect. Many DSR users "roll their own" so to speak. However, the calculator is based off of Glenn's formulas, so would require a bit more trial and error to get yours in line with that. You can however do like I did and bite the bullet, just buy the stuff and have it shipped.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's up to them and the distributors.

I never mingle between them. i don't have the time and don't favour business negotiations. I leaf it to the trade and the professionals in their branche.

I keep on doing what in do best, reefkeeping, DIY and developing new tools to make reefkeeping easier for myself and my reefkeeping friends.
Last but not least, share my findings with the reefing community.

I think the ultimate solution would be to get someone like @BRS to carry it ;-).

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do and so did i in the beginning.

But there were few accidents and incidents, because not everbody has the right diy knowledge and acces to the "right stuff".

I expect people to have basis knowledge and do their reseach first before they start blending themselves.

Those with knowledge can blend experiment themselves, they only need acces to the right stuff.

With right stuff, i mean homogenous material to make sure the outcome will be the same.
Not all product have the same homogenity, there are regional and production impurities that may have a small impact.

That's why i (through LFS)make sure the dutch reefers had acces.

You're not incorrect. Many DSR users "roll their own" so to speak. However, the calculator is based off of Glenn's formulas, so would require a bit more trial and error to get yours in line with that. You can however do like I did and bite the bullet, just buy the stuff and have it shipped.

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think we need a DSR user thread don't you?

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@glennf Have you ever listed your equipment list? Are you just running a skimmer and using dosers? I would love to know. Thanks.
He has, you just have to dig through this thread and his tank thread. He doesn't use anything special, a homemade skimmer, a dosing pump, and T5 lighting.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back