The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most users will be in europe
When started this thread there was too much critical comments, so i knew people were not realy interested/curious, but commented on things just for the commenting.

I knew then they were not willing to learn. Because i don't like to (and have to) force my thoughts on them, i just let it be....

Most DSR users faced the same problems, when sharing that they do differently than mainstream.
They took the same behaviour and only share when their thoughts are appreciated.

I wish this would change. People shouldn't try to force their oppinion on others. We would learn so much more from each other.
I think we need a DSR user thread don't you?

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to modify this for use with a calcium reactor (to avoid water changes), is it possible ? Would you say I need to test the same way as the system and but what I need to add as dry powder ? Thanks !

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@glennf Have you ever listed your equipment list? Are you just running a skimmer and using dosers? I would love to know. Thanks.
This is the requirements list: www.DSRreefing.com/technics

I just recently upgrade my skimmer to a bbk250. Still undersized because my total volume ~ 1600 liters

d17deaba73eadb4b74d502362dde1bae.jpg

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
DRS / EZ requires 2 or 4 dosing pumps? I saw in the requirements or FAQ the other night 4 to 8 are needed since the EZ appears to be only dosing 4 I'm assuming that is what is necessary. I've been doing some reading in general on dosing the various 2 and 3 parts in this forum so trying to understand what is different. To me on a "simple and ignorant level" they all appear to be dosing to replace elements.

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most users will be in europe
When started this thread there was too much critical comments, so i knew people were not realy interested/curious, but commented on things just for the commenting.

I knew then they were not willing to learn. Because i don't like to (and have to) force my thoughts on them, i just let it be....

Most DSR users faced the same problems, when sharing that they do differently than mainstream.
They took the same behaviour and only share when their thoughts are appreciated.

I wish this would change. People shouldn't try to force their oppinion on others. We would learn so much more from each other.

Hi glennf,
I’m in Europe and I’ve tried to look for more information on DSR and those forum aren’t in English so it’s very hard to understand.
I’m remembering when some years ago I’ve tried to understand the Italian (they have amazing tanks) or even understand Junichi method (the Japanese with the most amazing colors).
So IMO if you can write in English and you own the method, you should try to explain to everyone interested where I’m included.
Perhaps there are DSR users that participate in international forums that might help.
TIA

U

User1

View Badges
Use a browser extension to translate - that is what I was doing all weekend. For the most part it is working.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a browser extension to translate - that is what I was doing all weekend. For the most part it is working.
Hi glennf,
I’m in Europe and I’ve tried to look for more information on DSR and those forum aren’t in English so it’s very hard to understand.
I’m remembering when some years ago I’ve tried to understand the Italian (they have amazing tanks) or even understand Junichi method (the Japanese with the most amazing colors).
So IMO if you can write in English and you own the method, you should try to explain to everyone interested where I’m included.
Perhaps there are DSR users that participate in international forums that might help.
TIA

Join the FB group if you can, you can ask direct questions there (translated into Dutch). And you usually get a response right away vs. never on the forum ;-).

Alfrareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Join the FB group if you can, you can ask direct questions there (translated into Dutch). And you usually get a response right away vs. never on the forum ;-).

Come on guys! After learning biology, chemistry, plumbing, and others I still have to learn other languages!!!

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a bump to my question earlier, is it possible to run a version of this system w a calcium reactor and supplement what’s being used up faster ? (I assume so). The goal is to avoid water changes.

Ps I am unable to find a boron test kit by salifert , says it has been discontinued

Genomecop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just as a bump to my question earlier, is it possible to run a version of this system w a calcium reactor and supplement what’s being used up faster ? (I assume so). The goal is to avoid water changes.

Ps I am unable to find a boron test kit by salifert , says it has been discontinued

According to the 'spec' list you dont use a reactor of any kind. You just use the calculator and dose accordingly. Forget the boron test kit it is only available through the seaflowerstore.com

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I bought the "B" test from seaflower.n1. The instructions have every freaking language in there EXCEPT english.

Reefpharmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the 'spec' list you dont use a reactor of any kind. You just use the calculator and dose accordingly. Forget the boron test kit it is only available through the seaflowerstore.com

Ya I understand what you are saying. I already have a calcium reactor I am using. I want to keep using it if possible and supplement w this system what’s needed to avoid doing water changes. My question is if it’s possible

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I understand what you are saying. I already have a calcium reactor I am using. I want to keep using it if possible and supplement w this system what’s needed to avoid doing water changes. My question is if it’s possible

I think you would easily be able to do so with the calculator. Just use the for everything else besides carbonates and calcium. Even then, you can use the calc for one time carbonate and calcium adjustments.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I see no reason you could not use your calcium reactor for the ALK and CA and Mag if you add Mag media to it.
I could not find the Boron test kit here either. Perhaps we can go in together and order a couple and some supplements. Or you could do a triton test every 6 months or so.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but I would love to see users tanks and what their thoughts are about usage and what's working or what isn't.
I have not posted any photos of my tank yet, but I have posted several comments on my experience so far. I am very happy with the method. It is not hard to figure out at all. I love not doing water changes! Dosing daily is not a problem, as it is spending quality time enjoying my tank and takes less then 5 min. Although some days I am hard pressed to find five min. I have found if I miss a couple days dosing it is no big deal. I have ALK, CA and Mag on dosing pumps currently and am working on setting up automated dosing of the other elements. The hard part with automating is the daily dose is pretty small on most of the other things at under 15ml for my 300 gallon tank. Smaller that require less can probably be dosed weakly easily enough. Vinegar and Iron seem to work very well at controlling Nitrate and Phosphate with my ATS and cheeto. Adjusting the amounts dosed easily controls my nutrient levels much better then other much more expensive methods did for me.
While the exact dosing elements Glen uses are not available in the US, their are plenty of similar products available to chose from. you just have to adjust based on what your using. For example I use Calcium Chloride for my calcium mixed per Randy's 2 part. I bake Baking Soda from Costco to mix for the ALK again according to Randy's 2 part. I mix Magnesium to Randy's 2 part recipe as well. Vinegar from Costco. For Iron, Strontium, Potassium Iodine I have used several off the shelf products and use at the same ratios. I am not dosing Boron at this point, as I do not have a test kit yet. I have some in my shopping cart for a future order.

U

User1

View Badges
So many...to choose from. DIY two part, three part, BRS, ESV-Bionic kit, etc. Seems they are all doing similar - would be interesting to compare cost saving compared to the various methods. I guess it is bottle / off the shelf vs. DIY vs. adding RI/RO to dry container product.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many...to choose from. DIY two part, three part, BRS, ESV-Bionic kit, etc. Seems they are all doing similar - would be interesting to compare cost saving compared to the various methods. I guess it is bottle / off the shelf vs. DIY vs. adding RI/RO to dry container product.
There is a big difference between DIY two part, three part, BRS, ESV-Bionic and DSR. DSR is a complete system while the others only are only adding Ca, ALK and Mag in some cases. None of them except DSR eliminate water changes, in fact they rely on water changes. All of the other methods listed can be used as the basis of DSR. The dosing of vinegar, iron, strontium, boron, potassium and iron is what makes the big difference and allows you to go without water changes.

U

User1

View Badges
@laverda ok, thanks. Misunderstood (still learning with regards to dosing and the various methods). I was coming at it from the EZ DRS side that is dosing 4 things (carbon, buffer, calcium, and trace) and assumed it was similar to the two, three, DIY, BRS, and ESV Bionic stuff. It gets a bit confusing and while my ultimate goal is to manage fewer water changes but maintain a healthy mixed reef a map with a YOU ARE HERE or start here is something I'm still looking for to learn. I've been doing the same thing more or less since I started in 2000 and know the one thing I'm hurting at is replacing things that get used day by day in the reef by not doing consistent water changes or dosing. SO while I considering success in not losing fish or corals and things look good - I know things are missing based on what I'm reading in the chemistry forum(s).

I'm just trying to keep things simple so family members can help while I'm out and I really don't like performing water changes (lazy). So thanks for clarifying.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back