The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mine thought about ez trace.. Its amayzing! Before I was adding aquaforest abc and potassium, but its all about how you mix it in a tank... so trace is allready perfectly mixed and it works.I dont belive it when I see corals growing.. its amayzing.
People in our fb site are asking me to sell them trace... I just point them to seaflower..
I shiped 2 10ml dose to2 of them to try for free... when Slovenians realize how easy and great that is This will be something:)
I am just glad for that that tanks are happy.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just mine thought about ez trace.. Its amayzing! Before I was adding aquaforest abc and potassium, but its all about how you mix it in a tank... so trace is allready perfectly mixed and it works.I dont belive it when I see corals growing.. its amayzing.
People in our fb site are asking me to sell them trace... I just point them to seaflower..
I shiped 2 10ml dose to2 of them to try for free... when Slovenians realize how easy and great that is This will be something:)
I am just glad for that that tanks are happy.
Make sure people don't get to high expectations. It's no magic stuff, because reefing is never about a single solution, but a whole maintenance plan.
The better the plan, the less work and better the results.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fears came true:) , after fifth day of carbon v/s my nitrates are 0.1.. I started with recomended normal dosage for my 350L system. 2 ml for 3days, then 3 ml for 2 days. I tested twice, so I decreased dosage to first period. If wont raise I will go even lower:)

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fears came true:) , after fifth day of carbon v/s my nitrates are 0.1.. I started with recomended normal dosage for my 350L system. 2 ml for 3days, then 3 ml for 2 days. I tested twice, so I decreased dosage to first period. If wont raise I will go even lower:)
Than you are lucky you can see the difference so soon.
Now you can start finetuning the dosings.

When you have a structural nutrient deficiency you can add it ditectly or add some more fish to your tank.

Nothing get lost because bacteria is also food for your corals. Your system become redundand and more stable with carbondosing.
I choose to keep carbonvs dosing at s3-s5 and add nutients to keep a healthy baseline for my systems

Last edited:

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all and Glennf! So now I have been dosing v/s for a while now 1ml daily. No3 came to. 0.2ppm. So do I cut dose to 2nd or 3rd day or so I start dosing no3? If I cut there wont be much bacterias for corals..so I think that no3 dosing is solution? Tnx

A06E0F4F-CF56-4240-9883-0E0F3F3A5147.jpeg

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all and Glennf! So now I have been dosing v/s for a while now 1ml daily. No3 came to. 0.2ppm. So do I cut dose to 2nd or 3rd day or so I start dosing no3? If I cut there wont be much bacterias for corals..so I think that no3 dosing is solution? Tnx

A06E0F4F-CF56-4240-9883-0E0F3F3A5147.jpeg
Do you have algae in your tank?
Post a picture to get an impression of your tank
A picture says more than 1000 words

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Mr. Glennf, yes some cianos hire and there, but nothing mayor, see pictures of tank I took now.
DSC_0008 (2).JPG
DSC_0015 (2).JPG

DSC_0010 (2).JPG

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look how you LPS are doing.
I prefer to keep NO3 higher than 0,5ppm.
Because consumption can be very high i dose up to 2,5ppm with each correction.

You dose PO4 and NO3 to prevent corals from dying, but algae may benefit also.
Always make sure your cleaning crew is up to the job to prevent algae growth.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok tnx for info, I will start to dose kno3 to maintain no3 around 2.5-5 ppm. Lps are ok for now they have extended polips and growing. And I will add some more clean up crew, I have some 10 hermit crabs, sea star and red white shrimp. My sea urchid died after 10 months. Thank you!

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi one question whats best no3/v/s dosing ratio? If I dose no3 to maintain 2.5-5 ppm, I need to maintain v/s to keep this numbers...I could dose more no3 and more v/s but numbers would stay same...So whats best ratio.? I hope I make sense hire...

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi one question whats best no3/v/s dosing ratio? If I dose no3 to maintain 2.5-5 ppm, I need to maintain v/s to keep this numbers...I could dose more no3 and more v/s but numbers would stay same...So whats best ratio.? I hope I make sense hire...
Try keeping CarbonVS at s3-s5 and keep NO3 steady

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn do you use ozone and ultraviolet sterilizers?

What pumps are you using?

Do you use reverse osmosis?

How do you quarantine new corals? Dip them?

When you set up the first aquarium what salt did you use or was it natural seawater?

Is caribsea seafloor special grade reef sand the same sand your using?

Sorry if its been covered, cant look through it all again. Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn do you use ozone and ultraviolet sterilizers?

What pumps are you using?

Do you use reverse osmosis?

How do you quarantine new corals? Dip them?

When you set up the first aquarium what salt did you use or was it natural seawater?

Is caribsea seafloor special grade reef sand the same sand your using?

Sorry if its been covered, cant look through it all again. Thanks.

Ozon and/or UV are use to prevent/reduce /contain fishparasites outbreak.

I always used jeboa before, but due to recent fallout of many rw 4/8/15 pumps, which were replaced by Poor quality and very noisy sw4/8/15, I was very disappointed and now i'm slowly switching to tunze streamer and pumps

Yes , it's wise to use RO water . Especially when you're a beginner.

I never quarantine or dip corals, but i think i should. I also believe when conditions are optimal and you take care of your tanks based on knowhow corals stay healthy and pest don't get the upperhand.

I always start my tank with DSR synthetic salt, custom made with this calculator:
http://www.DSRreefing.com/saltcalc

I don't know about carib sea.
I use coralsand with size 1-3mm

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all and Glennf, since I am dosing no3 I have ciano boom.. cianos are all over sand bed. I remove some and come back.. my no3 , po4 are in standard no3 2.5 and ph4 up to 0.08 ppm.. mg also and other parameters too...what can I do? I oredered chemiclean but this is last thing to do if nothing else wont help..my ph is little on low side from 7.9-8.1..everything else is growing great.. my fear is if I use chemiclean They say I need to do wc, but this I wont..

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a firm believer of the 1ppm NO3 per 0.01ppm PO4 balance (at least get as close to it as possible) to prevent possible outbreakes of unwanted algae or cyano. Balance that shifts to higher NO3 means high risk of algae, shift to higher PO4 means higher risk of cyano. Step one would always be to get things balanced again.

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MabuyaQ tnx, I have cut no3 and po4 dosage on 1/2 of before, I will see how it goes. I have also halfed dosage of carbon. Now I ll waittnx

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano is a complex problem.
This means than there is not only 1 problem, but a few that adds up to an outbreak

My experience is that the things that contribute to this problem are:
- not enough or no interleaved flow (use timers)
http://www.DSRreefing.com/stream
- detritus build up (use powerfilter)
http://dsrreefing.com/powerfilter/
- too much ligth for the system to handle (lower light)

Use the cyano procedure:
http://dsrreefing.nl/cyano.html
I wish i had cyano instead of dinoflagellets! Any info about dinos would be appreciated.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back