The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for info, maybe my lights are little too much for my system.. 160w t5s and 160w leds, but leds are on 70%. Flow is good with 3 wave makers and return on opposite side. I change powerwool every 3 days and system is clean of detritus. Mostly it builds up in sump. I stear it with stick so powerhead cleans it. I will adjust led lights. Tnx again.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish i had cyano instead of dinoflagellets! Any info about dinos would be appreciated.
I never had dino's.

The reason is that i always run higher on nutrients. (Within reasonable bandwiths)
Look here for the targets values for NO3 and PO4: http://dsrreefing.com/compactcalc/

The most common problem is see is when reefers try to run ULNS with extreme high intensity of lighting.
When the system is not ready to handle that you see an explosion of dino's and other problemen.

As an experience reefer you learn how to look for signals and act accordingly.

Many novice reefers just follow standard procedures which don't include these "problems" in their protocol.

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had dino's.

The reason is that i always run higher on nutrients. (Within reasonable bandwiths)
Look here for the targets values for NO3 and PO4: http://dsrreefing.com/compactcalc/

The most common problem is see is when reefers try to run ULNS with extreme high intensity of lighting.
When the system is not ready to handle that you see an explosion of dino's and other problemen.

As an experience reefer you learn how to look for signals and act accordingly.

Many novice reefers just follow standard procedures which don't include these "problems" in their protocol.
That's exactly what happened to me. I was using the Aquaforrest system which is a ULNS system. Aquaforrest products didn't cause my dino problem, I believe the ULNS did. I lost a lot of corals before I was able to get it under control. I make sure that my NO3 and PO4 don't bottom out any more.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn did you always use both ultraviolet light and ozone?

Are some of your tanks not using both?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a tank, 350 gallons, and I would like it incorporate the DSR method. Is there any way you can sum it up in a post? Or if you already have, can you point me to it?
@glennf

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's exactly what happened to me. I was using the Aquaforrest system which is a ULNS system. Aquaforrest products didn't cause my dino problem, I believe the ULNS did. I lost a lot of corals before I was able to get it under control. I make sure that my NO3 and PO4 don't bottom out any more.
In fact DSR is a tool that can simulate multiple systems, because you decide how to apply it by adjusting the target parameter yourself.
Once set, the system guide you to that goal.
The only difference is that it's transparant what you're dosing.

4c48e48b769955d5f19a04d86370667f.jpg

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glenn did you always use both ultraviolet light and ozone?

Are some of your tanks not using both?
Depending on the fish most tanks have a 18 watt UV. I do net rely heavily on UV, but it help a little bit by controlling parasites.

Ozone is only on my 300 gallon system because i wanted that system te be redundant. Also 18 watt is a little small for 300gallons.

As i mentioned before, i don't lean to much on that.
Introducing healthy fish, good feeding and avoiding stress is the best way to avoid itch outbreaks...

Once you have an outbreak it's either external quarantine in copper or praying you don't lose all the sensitive fishes

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am starting a tank, 350 gallons, and I would like it incorporate the DSR method. Is there any way you can sum it up in a post? Or if you already have, can you point me to it?
@glennf
It's an all in system with many procedures for many problems that can occur when you go without WC.
I have made a portal to start from
http://www.DSRreefing.com

But if you'r looking for a kickstart procedure this is the closest thing to it.

This is for full DSR:
http://www.DSRreefing.com/fulldsr

This is the EZstart (dosing system)
http://dsrreefing.com/ezstart

mwilk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In fact DSR is a tool that can simulate multiple systems, because you decide how to apply it by adjusting the target parameter yourself.
Once set, the system guide you to that goal.
The only difference is that it's transparant what you're dosing.

4c48e48b769955d5f19a04d86370667f.jpg
If DSR was available in the US I'd love to give it a try. I'm currently using ATI Pro Essentials.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If DSR was available in the US I'd love to give it a try. I'm currently using ATI Pro Essentials.
i have been holding back since a while, because it would have been a waste of everybody time to share something that wasn't available anyhow.

The system was named "dutch synthetic reefing", because it was designed for the dutch reefers.
I had no distribution network, ambition nor any intention to let it grow beyound that.

Oktober, 2017 i appointed https://www.dvh-import.com as a global distributor. With the specific instruction not to approach the US market, because i was not sure i realy needed the extra work that came with it.

Ati came available in netherlands 2017/2018 i believe. They were 4-5 years later than DSR and triton. They have a long way to catch up in here.
In the US it's the other way round[emoji23].
First some party must see $$$ oppurtunities before they catch up on it.

In here it got started with 2 webshops that started to distibute DSR and all off a sudden everbody needed to have it.
I documented the developments on my local forum.

This is an interesting development:https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?posts/5987812
People are wandering why DSR is not widely spread around the world.
The reasons are mentioned above....

Last edited:

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my cianos got worse but my po4 is ok at 0.04 and no3 at 2.5-5 so I used chemiclean with airstone for 3 days, put on skimmer and all is great. Cianos gone and all corals happy. Like nothing happend... Now after treatmentI am using carbon for put chemiclean out and uv light back on. Seams that skimmer is not overflowing so things are great...no wc:)All parameters perfect.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, my cianos got worse but my po4 is ok at 0.04 and no3 at 2.5-5 so I used chemiclean with airstone for 3 days, put on skimmer and all is great. Cianos gone and all corals happy. Like nothing happend... Now after treatmentI am using carbon for put chemiclean out and uv light back on. Seams that skimmer is not overflowing so things are great...no wc:)All parameters perfect.
Before you try any medicine make sure you read this first and act acsording the advice.

This is my system to prevent cyano from taking over the system
http://dsrreefing.nl/forum/index.php?topic=470.0

Flippersflippinooah

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know of a similar alternative to the Aqualon filter wool for the powerfilter that is available in the US? Other products here seem too coarse or fluffy.

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that this video link isnt in this treat.
This tanks are just amayzing..Mr. Glenn and video is also in English:)
6 months later:
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2318357844909523&id=100002059918349

Translation:
Sooo, today we are on tour in the Netherlands and have just made a side trip to Glenn Fong.
And when I came in, I fell completely [emoji51]
You still remember my last visit to Him?
That's just over half a year ago.
The EZ DSR tank is completely overgrown.
I've never seen anything like it in such a short time.
Here are a few cell phone pictures, a report and video follows.
So now set up for Germany and the Sahra and your aquarium.

forestsofkelp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be setting up a large tank in a about a year....VERY interested in doing DSR. I am onboard with the idea. I just had two questions....
Any issues with the power filter and copepods/rotifers etc? I am concerned the power filter will catch too many of them!
I am trying to automate as much as possible...am I correct in assuming some of the less commonly used supplements could be made more dilute, then dosed accordingly? For example, if I needed 10ml of a solution every month, dilute it to 1L, and run it at 33ml a day.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be setting up a large tank in a about a year....VERY interested in doing DSR. I am onboard with the idea. I just had two questions....
Any issues with the power filter and copepods/rotifers etc? I am concerned the power filter will catch too many of them!
I am trying to automate as much as possible...am I correct in assuming some of the less commonly used supplements could be made more dilute, then dosed accordingly? For example, if I needed 10ml of a solution every month, dilute it to 1L, and run it at 33ml a day.
The power filter is the best for pods, it can’t catch any of them. Far better than socks, and is one reason I think DSR works really well.

You definitely can dilute the supplements for greater dosing volume. No issues, but makes support and troubleshooting from Glenn more difficult.

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh, I just spent the past 3 hours or so poring over this thread! I’m so glad I found it!

I have a 465 gal build arriving in September and before finding this info was planning on using Triton Method... Now after reading all this and with all the gorgeous images, DSR is DEF my number 1 choice for the new tank.

I do have an equipment question though, has anyone here used a DyMiCo filter alongside the DSR method? The low-power consumption and increased plankton/microfauna benefits that are touted by the DyMiCo system are very appealing, as at some point I would like to branch into NPS and want a less sterile tank with a more complete food web in place.

However, it seems that some aspects of DSR would conflict with DyMiCo? Specifically the fact that both DSR and DyMiCo filtering would be lowering Nitrate/Carbon-Dosing.

Regarding sustaining plankton/microfauna in the water column from the DSB in the DyMiCo, I was thinking about having the powerfilter and skimmer running only during daylight hours and turning them off when the lights go out and all the bugs come out to play and polyps open to feed on them.

Thoughts?

Back