The DSR Method (Dutch Synthetic Reefing)

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang, that was fast. 4 out of 5 boxes made it here intact... the fifth got abused, but it looks worse than it is... the carbon source bottle got bashed in and mixed with some crystals (Mg I think), but besides smelling like vinegar, everything was intact which is a small miracle I think all things considered. Besides, that’s why I ordered extra ;)

A5454CA0-2950-45EE-9225-652A60BBDA28.jpeg
F6183107-974D-4AA0-B82E-6F0F836129F7.jpeg

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many reefers are struggling to keep their tank parameters in check and even with regular WC they barely succeed.

This is a checklist for those who are looking for possible solutions.
It has become a benchmark for dutch reefers trying to solve their problems.

Last edited:
OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dang, that was fast. 4 out of 5 boxes made it here intact... the fifth got abused, but it looks worse than it is... the carbon source bottle got bashed in and mixed with some crystals (Mg I think), but besides smelling like vinegar, everything was intact which is a small miracle I think all things considered. Besides, that’s why I ordered extra ;)

A5454CA0-2950-45EE-9225-652A60BBDA28.jpeg
F6183107-974D-4AA0-B82E-6F0F836129F7.jpeg
Seems like they did a game of soccer with the boxes

LisaMarie

Addicted to Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about DSR and would like to know more specifics about the use of ozone (apologies if this has been covered elsewhere). How much ozone, how often (24/7 or on a set schedule), any specific equipment recommendations, etc. If anyone is using DSR, could you elaborate on your specific ozone setup? Thank you in advance.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been reading everything I can get my hands on about DSR and would like to know more specifics about the use of ozone (apologies if this has been covered elsewhere). How much ozone, how often (24/7 or on a set schedule), any specific equipment recommendations, etc. If anyone is using DSR, could you elaborate on your specific ozone setup? Thank you in advance.
I believe Glenn ceased using ozone in his systems some time ago

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1200 reef still has 200mg ozone deviced controlled with a redox controler set at 350mv together with a 18watt UVC. On all my other tanks i only use 18W UVC. Running 24/7
the main purpuse is itch prevention.
it has no specific/other function in the DSR systems.

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all.I use the ez products but i use seperate carbon and Fe trace, for now. Also i am adding PO4,more magnesium , little more potassium and Sr. I cant increase eztrace because my B is close to 7. All my parameters are fine Except Iodine... In 400lt reef mix tank idose 1.5ml of I2 every day (I think in my tank 3ml is max per day)for almost 2 months now but i cant get any reading to salifert test. Test is ok i assume when testing with dsr reference. I cant find to read something more for I2.What i am advised to do? Thanks

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all.I use the ez products but i use seperate carbon and Fe trace, for now. Also i am adding PO4,more magnesium , little more potassium and Sr. I cant increase eztrace because my B is close to 7. All my parameters are fine Except Iodine... In 400lt reef mix tank idose 1.5ml of I2 every day (I think in my tank 3ml is max per day)for almost 2 months now but i cant get any reading to salifert test. Test is ok i assume when testing with dsr reference. I cant find to read something more for I2.What i am advised to do? Thanks
Replied buy glennf. Thank you

Matevz Savarin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vlnemo can you detect Sr? I cant detect it or its way too low with salifert. I an using ez trace but because I have calcium reaktor, I am adding SrCl2 because I dont use ez baling, where strontium is with calcium solution. Been dosing it for 1 year now, all grows great but its undetected.. Glennf will help:)

OP
OP
glennf

glennf

DSR Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some reefers have problems getting a reading from the Salifert Sr test, because they can't see when the color turns. For that purpose we skip measuring and use EZCalcium and it wil be just fine. You sent in an iCP test once in a while if you realy want to.

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i start measure Sr (before 2 months) i was 0. I use ez calcium Ca:430, but my Sr was undetectable. According to calculators My need to Sr was about 150ml I think. Maximum Sr/d for 400lt was 36ml/d. So i start adding 15ml (extra from ez trace)every 10 days. Steel undetectable. I continued add Sr for more 5-10 days 10ml and thats it. Today i measure sr 0.94-0.95 its 4-10 ppm. Ez calsium now doing the job for me, iam just drop 2ml every week Sr to maintenance in that level. The same think is happening now with I2 which i started adding it with Sr but it steel undetectable. According to calculatos i need few ml with maximum dosing 3ml/d to my tank. I dropped every day 2ml but steel nothing. I cant increase eztrace because my B is close to7. I am adding magnesium and little k to keep them up. I will try to make some big water changes(custom reef salt) to clear somehow the chemicals to my tank because for years i used many products. All my test are tested with reference and its fine...

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i start measure Sr (before 2 months) i was 0. I use ez calcium Ca:430, but my Sr was undetectable. According to calculators My need to Sr was about 150ml I think. Maximum Sr/d for 400lt was 36ml/d. So i start adding 15ml (extra from ez trace)every 10 days. Steel undetectable. I continued add Sr for more 5-10 days 10ml and thats it. Today i measure sr 0.94-0.95 its 4-10 ppm. Ez calsium now doing the job for me, iam just drop 2ml every week Sr to maintenance in that level. The same think is happening now with I2 which i started adding it with Sr but it steel undetectable. According to calculatos i need few ml with maximum dosing 3ml/d to my tank. I dropped every day 2ml but steel nothing. I cant increase eztrace because my B is close to7. I am adding magnesium and little k to keep them up. I will try to make some big water changes(custom reef salt) to clear somehow the chemicals to my tank because for years i used many products. All my test are tested with reference and its fine...
CORRECTION. Drop 15ml Sr for 10days and no every 10 days.

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts? My readings Kh:9 Ca:380 Mg:1500 (start redusing) No3:2 Po4: 0.08. Double check my test with dsr reference. Maybe the t-5??? Running for a year now.

IMG_20200622_102134.jpg IMG_20200622_102155.jpg

vlnemo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the begining i thought it was the anemones, but not. All other montiporas are ok.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’ve finished this thread. I’d already decided I would be using the EZ system (I don’t have anything close to the money it would take to import the proprietary elements for the full blown DSR system, and I am a philosopher and applied behavioral therapy technician so the hard core chemistry is far beyond me). I do have a question, however. Well, a couple.

I’m in the process of building my first reef. I want to do what Glenn has done and have a truly mixed reef. I have my lighting (three noopsyche k7 2s), skimmer (reef octopus 150int), and will be running a vectra m1. Before discovering DSR I was planning on running a refugium external from my sump for more water volume and additional biological filtration in the form of some truly live rock (kp or Tampa bay saltwater rocks) and some macro. I also had been planning on a Ca reactor but that at least I’m no longer planning (my wallet is grateful). My Dt is 120g and I was planning on using primarily marco rocks for ease of scape.

so my questions are: 1) if one is running DSR and/or the EZ system, is it counter productive to try and maintain a traditional macro algae based refugium?

2) if so, is it worth still having the extra water volume and live rock, or should I not worry about it? I think I read somewhere that most of the Dutch reefers seem to view live rock as more of a source of pollution than a benefit with the additional bacterial diversity.

3) would an ecotech vectra be a suitable pump for a power filter? The only powerhead/stream pump I have at the moment is a maxspect xf330. I may pick up another pump(s) if needed, but I’d rather not have the power filter in my display and I’m not even sure how a gyre pump would even work with the filter floss wrapped around.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would still includ the extra water volume with live rock. Your system will become established much faster with live rock.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back