The Genesis Reef....God help us.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the overflows typically siliconed in place?

Usually yes. Here is a picture of my 180 tank with built in overflows.

Notice the dual overflow boxes? They are both siliconed directly to the glass.

IMG_0030.JPG

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually yes. Here is a picture of my 180 tank with built in overflows.

Notice the dual overflow boxes? They are both siliconed directly to the glass.

IMG_0030.JPG
Yes, except for the Size, that exactly how mine looks. I want to remove them, clean the area behind them, replace the bulkheads, and put the overflows back.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, except for the Size, that exactly how mine looks. I want to remove them, clean the area behind them, replace the bulkheads, and put the overflows back.

Since you asked my opinion, I would say no. I am of the opinion "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Just clean as best you can inside and leave them be. What if you choose the wrong silicone? What if you choose the right one and it comes loose after its filled and has livestock in it? I think removing them presents more variables than you need.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you asked my opinion, I would say no. I am of the opinion "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Just clean as best you can inside and leave them be. What if you choose the wrong silicone? What if you choose the right one and it comes loose after its filled and has livestock in it? I think removing them presents more variables than you need.
I have lived by that "if it ain't broke" for a long time now, and I am leaning towards that. Thank you for your insight.

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the leak? If it's leaking at one of the seams, then that means the structural seams between the panels is bad. Just adding silicone in the corners isn't really the way to fix this. If it's at a bulkhead or overflow or something, that's different.

Good pumps.

Yes, if you want.

It will be a bit less than that with head loss. No big deal either way.
I want to thank you for originally replying to my post about a leak in my tank. I'm pleased to report that we now believe there is no leak! But originally we thought there was and was unhappy with what you told me about replacing it and after a bit of research, I found that you were correct and I want to thank you for being straight up with me. It hurts to hear the truth sometimes but I prefer that to false hopes. Thanks again.

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for my bulkheads...I can't replace them correctly without removing my overflows so I am asking for opinions if the need to replacing them due to years of exposure to saltwater, outways the work that will have to go into removing and replacing the bulkheads to get to them and cleaning the glass well enough to replace them. The bulkheads are not leaking, they're just old.

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to start to post pics to go along with the build, just cant size them correctly. Can someone tell me the correct pixels that work well on these posts?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just glad the tank isn't leaking. Sometimes powerheads or cords can be a route for water to drip down the outside of the tank. Hopefully that's all it is.

As for pics, I just hit the 'attach' files button. Maybe being a supporter lets me add bigger pics? Not sure. #reefsquad

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for pics, I just hit the 'attach' files button. Maybe being a supporter lets me add bigger pics? Not sure. #reefsquad
That maybe the case for uploading bigger pics???

lol,
Thought we were in the middle of an exploding tank… ;Wideyed

Roro,
Glad your reef is not leaking… :)

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That maybe the case for uploading bigger pics???

lol,
Thought we were in the middle of an exploding tank… ;Wideyed

Roro,
Glad your reef is not leaking… :)
No explosion just now setting it up, was cleaning it (just got it used) and found water underneath. But it was apparently from the cleaning or maybe transporting it to my house which we did in the rain. Thanks again.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No explosion just now setting it up, was cleaning it (just got it used) and found water underneath. But it was apparently from the cleaning or maybe transporting it to my house which we did in the rain. Thanks again.
Well glad to know your all sorted out

There is a restriction on the files size for pictures which is a little frustrating especially if you have high end cameras as the quality is ‘significantly’ reduced

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I think I solved the posting pics issue. And we definitely have no leak.
here is the stand and tank finally in our living room, Theses pics were takin while I was cleaning it.
yyuiyi.jpg

Here is one overflow and the other before and after cleaning.
20211124_223702.jpg
20211124_223713.jpg

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to build a new stand using the Rocket Engineer formula. I'm stealing all kinds of ideas everywhere for the hood. For the sump I'm using an Aqueon 20 gal long combined with a Fiji sump/refugium baffle kit with slight modifications. I like the stand that came with the tank but it is old and has been moved several times. I'm worried about its structural integrity. I'm probably being a little over cautious but thats ok right?. The hood has too much salt damage IMHO so that is going to be rebuilt for sure. I got the tank stand and hood for $600 so it's still a good deal I think. Plus, I will keep the stand for garage storage and I get to make the, "look" all my own.

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm going to build a new stand using the Rocket Engineer formula. I'm stealing all kinds of ideas everywhere for the hood. For the sump I'm using an Aqueon 20 gal long combined with a Fiji sump/refugium baffle kit with slight modifications. I like the stand that came with the tank but it is old and has been moved several times. I'm worried about its structural integrity. I'm probably being a little over cautious but thats ok right?. The hood has too much salt damage IMHO so that is going to be rebuilt for sure. I got the tank stand and hood for $600 so it's still a good deal I think. Plus, I will keep the stand for garage storage and I get to make the, "look" all my own.

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well Christmas came and is gone. I pray for you and yours to have a great New Years and great year. I have to work Saturday so I'm taking all my wood for the stand with me so I can cut all of it after work. ( we have a great wood shop ). I'll take pics and post after.

OP
OP
Rororeefer

Rororeefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the shell of my stand is basically finished. I'll post picks tonight. The only thing left is some bracing on the front side and a couple pieces on the top. I wish I had taken the time to take pictures as I was building it. I have a still shot of the first leg going on from a video I was making so I'll post that now. Next is skinning it. Don't have doors yet so I did not place the front vertical bracing. I'm thinking of reusing the doors from the old staff. If I do I'll have to sand blast them first. Can't believe how expensive the doors are.
Screenshot_20220120-130425_Gallery.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back