The Genus Halichoeres: The “Wrasses”

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is for the general discussion of the Article The Genus Halichoeres: The "Wrasses". Please add to the discussion here.

Hello fellow reefers, I hope you enjoy this article about the Halichoeres wrasses we know and love. Before we start, I would like to thank @SaltyT and @Crabby48 for allowing me to use some of their photos. So, lets get into it.

The genus Halichoeres is differentiated from other genera of wrasses due to their teeth. Often the teeth differentiate many of our commonly loved and owned Labrids. Specifically with the teeth of these wrasses is their canines. Halichoeres species often have pointed snouts with two rows of teeth. One row is on the upper jaw and the second is on the lower jaw, with 2 sets of canines in each row. One set is on the front whilst the second set are in the corners of their mouths.
This genus of wrasse can be found in the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific Oceans. Currently there are 80 recognised species of Halichoeres and many of them are available to us hobbyists. Each species shows a variety in colouration from solid colours such as yellows to several different colours. Due to this the species of Halichoeres are often recommended as a beginner species of wrasse.
9E2DD7E4-E268-4EDD-8F31-8841F02D4E70.jpeg

7C3CE45E-837E-4D18-A339-AC2FDB94C80C.jpeg

(Left) Halichoeres iridis - Transitional-Phase Male. Photo by SaltyT. (Right) Halichoeres garnoti - Juvenile. Photo by I Cant Think.

Keeping pairs or trio's of Halichoeres are not recommended to attempt unless the tank is huge (8'+). The reason for this is due to all specimens of Halichoeres transitioning to Males in captivity. You may have heard the same occur with Cirrhilabrus as well as Paracheilinus. The reasoning for all specimens transitioning to males is unknown however if you were to try a trio or pair then chances are the two males would fight to the death.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoy these. Keep them up. Are you planning on doing all the genus'?

My jumbled thoughts on halichoeres:
Halichores wrasses are my favorite pest eaters. One thing I love about them is that they show healthy behavior better at the fish store. Not as entertaining as they just peruse the bottom of my tank but that's why they're so good at getting the pests. The iridis is also a spectacular fish. On the other hand I had a quite murderous hortulanus but that was mostly my fault for not researching compatibility well enough.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really enjoy these. Keep them up. Are you planning on doing all the genus'?
I plan on doing another article on Pseudojuloides and potentially Wetmorella or Anampses but I still need to collect photos for them.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a Halichoeres Melanurus earlier this year after nearly 5 years of ownership. :( On the bright side though I found this feisty little Halichoeres Biocellatus for my tank (LFS Called it a Christmas Wrasse), so I still have a Halichoeres in my tank and honestly I will always have at least one of some kind as long as I am in the hobby:

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost a Halichoeres Melanurus earlier this year after nearly 5 years of ownership. :( On the bright side though I found this feisty little Halichoeres Biocellatus for my tank (LFS Called it a Christmas Wrasse), so I still have a Halichoeres in my tank and honestly I will always have at least one of some kind as long as I am in the hobby:

Love melanurus's. Also got a Xmas wrasse, he is just a pain to photograph. Runs away when I approach with the phone!
PXL_20220908_002421135.jpg

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two radiants that spawn regularly and a earmuff.

I have a fish trap if/when both radiant go male. I only meant to have one but I bought two thinking that they would not survive QT right after being shipped but they both did fine. It is fun to watch them spawn anywho...

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think I’m starting to plan a wrasse dominant (6-10) in a (4x2) tank but I also enjoy my decorative inverts ie pistol shrimp crabs, Pom Pom, ect. Is there any “small/ peaceful” Halichoeres that would work or should I just avoid this genus?

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i cant think I’m starting to plan a wrasse dominant (6-10) in a (4x2) tank but I also enjoy my decorative inverts ie pistol shrimp crabs, Pom Pom, ect. Is there any “small/ peaceful” Halichoeres that would work or should I just avoid this genus?
Actually many will work. Any of the small ones should work. Off the top of my head these are the ones I can name;
- H. iridis
- H. cosmetus
- H. timorensis
- H. leucoxanthus
- H. chrysus
- H. biocellatus

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The genus is a bit of a catch-all. Best ones commonly available are chrysus and its sister leucoxanthus. Good ones would be iridis, biocellatus, and arguably melanurus and chrysotaenia. There are others.

Avoid hortulanus, marginatus, and other bigger ones in the genus. It's probably worth looking up max sizes on fishbase under the 'H' genus and species search.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the small ones should work. Off the top of my head these are the ones I can name;
- H. iridis
- H. cosmetus
- H. timorensis
- H. leucoxanthus
- H. chrysus
- H. biocellatus

Best ones commonly available are chrysus and its sister leucoxanthus. Good ones would be iridis, biocellatus, and arguably melanurus and chrysotaenia. There are others.

Thank you, will definitely start researching those listed.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a pity we don’t see more species regularly imported (if at all) from this genus because overall I think this is one of the best groups of wrasses. Many remain small enough for average / slightly above average sized home aquariums, have nice colors, and eat pests. The only downside is their sand diving habits so they’re not for a bare bottom tank which is popular with many folks. They’re also pretty bold on a whole.

Malakai2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever keep a H. maculipinna, clown wrasse from the Caribbean? I'm trying to increase the pool of options if I set up a gorgonian/ricordea tank and that species appears to stay a little smaller or more manageable but I can't find much in the way of experiences online to guide me.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody ever keep a H. maculipinna, clown wrasse from the Caribbean? I'm trying to increase the pool of options if I set up a gorgonian/ricordea tank and that species appears to stay a little smaller or more manageable but I can't find much in the way of experiences online to guide me.
I don’t believe this species is in the hobby (I could be wrong). Even if it was then I wouldn’t recommend it for a smaller tank size as they can get to 7-8 inches. I have a Jade Wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus) in a 4’ tank and I would say that’s the minimum for these larger wrasses.

Malakai2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics lists them but the biggest size they identify is around 4 inches. Seems like it might be an interesting expansion of what's possible in a Caribbean tank of around 60 or 75 gallons if they don't get much bigger than that. Even as a threat to shrimp and tiny gobies it would still be an interesting fish for a reef tank designed around them.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
KP Aquatics lists them but the biggest size they identify is around 4 inches. Seems like it might be an interesting expansion of what's possible in a Caribbean tank of around 60 or 75 gallons if they don't get much bigger than that. Even as a threat to shrimp and tiny gobies it would still be an interesting fish for a reef tank designed around them.
H. chloropterus? You don't want that one. They get big, mean, and ugly.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I can find, it seems that H. maculipinna ranges from 4-7 inches when full grown (it might be a regional thing), but more typical seems to be 4-6 inches, with around 4-4.5 being more common.

They seem to like reef tops and shallow, rocky areas, as well as sargassum beds and reef-adjacent sand bottoms. They seem to like eating worms, crustaceans, and gastropods/bivalves (mollusks) for certain, and they may eat sea urchins, and brittle stars as well.

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are two different species of halichoeres a big no no or are there species that can coexist well?
Halichoeres spp. can be mixed, but in general you want to avoid mixing the larger species with the smaller species. This genus is so large that's tough to list all the compatible species. If you post the species you're interested in we can let you know if they'll be compatible or not.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back