The journey begins

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a used acrylic tall system Saturday. The seller gave me the dimensions of 24x24x32 which is close but I I haven’t had a chance to measure it yet. I was too busy putting it back together so the livestock that was included stayed healthy. It included a stand, sump, pump, bubble magus skimmer, an ok light, and 2 lower end power heads. Also most of the live rock he had in it, 2 engineer gobies, a flame hawk, 2 cinnamon clowns, 2 pajama cardinals, and a small tomini tang, a big feather duster, an urchin, a small bubble tip anemone, a sebae, and a long tentacle plus some a few assorted crabs snails and a shrimp. I bought 3 more pieces of live rock at the Lfs and will probably add a few more in the weeks ahead. Everything is happy and healthy so far. No sign of a mini cycle so far, fingers crossed. I added a bag of ocean direct sand a bit more than I wanted actually and have a second bag I didn’t even use. The tank cleared up nicely overnight. The clowns started hosting the sebae within 24 hours which had me very happy.

I do have a couple questions. This is in my living room and where it’s placed I don’t have anywhere for a bucket or container for the skim mate that comes out of the port of the skimmer with a tube. Is it feasible to block this and how do you do that? The second has to do with old coral skeletons I picked up years ago in my travels. I have a small but cool piece of blue ridge coral and a decent sized brain that have been in my parents landscaping for like 20 years. Can I clean those up and give them a bleach or acid bath and add them to the tank to become live rock? The overflow is different than most I’ve seen. It only has 1 hole and is flush with the bottom of the overflow with no pipe sticking up out of it. He said it was very noisy so he filled it with plastic pot scrubbers. I’ve kept those for the time being not least of which for the bacteria. It’s not horrible but it also not the best to look at. Any suggestions to modify would be appreciated.

6DC1BF85-69DE-4780-9811-718C462B58DE.jpeg 1F8C5868-0A63-4FCD-BDA6-3530AFED26DB.jpeg AC1B880B-00B3-4902-9ECD-C13334E3CC8C.jpeg AE107F2A-2892-4C9F-A0DF-9E17FB183C80.jpeg 4B27D418-CB2A-49D8-A27D-5625483C502F.jpeg 3A378E5B-7EAE-4A34-A4CD-A5B9B302C169.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a used acrylic tall system Saturday. The seller gave me the dimensions of 24x24x32 which is close but I I haven’t had a chance to measure it yet. I was too busy putting it back together so the livestock that was included stayed healthy. It included a stand, sump, pump, bubble magus skimmer, an ok light, and 2 lower end power heads. Also most of the live rock he had in it, 2 engineer gobies, a flame hawk, 2 cinnamon clowns, 2 pajama cardinals, and a small tomini tang, a big feather duster, an urchin, a small bubble tip anemone, a sebae, and a long tentacle plus some a few assorted crabs snails and a shrimp. I bought 3 more pieces of live rock at the Lfs and will probably add a few more in the weeks ahead. Everything is happy and healthy so far. No sign of a mini cycle so far, fingers crossed. I added a bag of ocean direct sand a bit more than I wanted actually and have a second bag I didn’t even use. The tank cleared up nicely overnight. The clowns started hosting the sebae within 24 hours which had me very happy.

I do have a couple questions. This is in my living room and where it’s placed I don’t have anywhere for a bucket or container for the skim mate that comes out of the port of the skimmer with a tube. Is it feasible to block this and how do you do that? The second has to do with old coral skeletons I picked up years ago in my travels. I have a small but cool piece of blue ridge coral and a decent sized brain that have been in my parents landscaping for like 20 years. Can I clean those up and give them a bleach or acid bath and add them to the tank to become live rock? The overflow is different than most I’ve seen. It only has 1 hole and is flush with the bottom of the overflow with no pipe sticking up out of it. He said it was very noisy so he filled it with plastic pot scrubbers. I’ve kept those for the time being not least of which for the bacteria. It’s not horrible but it also not the best to look at. Any suggestions to modify would be appreciated.

6DC1BF85-69DE-4780-9811-718C462B58DE.jpeg 1F8C5868-0A63-4FCD-BDA6-3530AFED26DB.jpeg AC1B880B-00B3-4902-9ECD-C13334E3CC8C.jpeg AE107F2A-2892-4C9F-A0DF-9E17FB183C80.jpeg 4B27D418-CB2A-49D8-A27D-5625483C502F.jpeg 3A378E5B-7EAE-4A34-A4CD-A5B9B302C169.jpeg
Is there space within stand for skimmer, maybe in/on sump?

Can you clean & use what old skeletons you have, yep. But, vote for lace or one of the other (cheap but with holes) rock types.

Like you, my parents had collected many corals when they were young, so when I first got into saltwater, I talked them into giving me those corals. 20+ years ago, I had problems with some due to dead zones, but not brain corals as they are more solid (even dead open brains are still pretty solid). Comparing coral skeletons to rock like lace rock or holey rock or... the more expensive rock types. There are SO MANY openings that pods and even tiny fish can go thru and live within that coral doesn't have. Now, with that said, I like coral skeleton look more... Where I am likely going in few years is break up (hammer) lace coral and pin/mortar together in cool shapes. I've done some minor shaping and pinning on the left hand side of my tank shown in my picture and eventually want to do something more open multiple cave closed-ish (water flow, water flow, water flow) on the right side of my tank.

All those coral skeletons from my parents, they adorn my bookshelves and help make my fish room look cool

OP
OP
Crevalle

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is in the sump but no room for a container for overflow. The blue ridge isn’t very thick. Like 1/4-1/2” ridges that I think would make interesting hides holes for fish and inverts. Can’t do there would be much in the way of dead spots.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is in the sump but no room for a container for overflow. The blue ridge isn’t very thick. Like 1/4-1/2” ridges that I think would make interesting hides holes for fish and inverts. Can’t do there would be much in the way of dead spots.
Some of mine have dead spots. Here is a photo of everything I brought back from MD to TX to get out of my mom's basement where I'd been storing her old corals. These got me back into the hobby after a many year break, but I've ended up using just one (also blue similar to yours). Everything else is on various bookshelves

Attachments

• Dead FL corals from old VA tanks.JPG
    Dead FL corals from old VA tanks.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 43

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya you can clean and add coral skeletons. It will become live rock essentially yes.
A stand pipe cut to the right length will quiet your overflow.box. and you can remove the pot scrubbers.
Cut.it to the length right below your display tanks water line.
D

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a octopule 2 if you can afford it. Great tank and dimensions. Really kool livestock.
Guessing you got a curve5 skimmer. Hit bubble magus up and they will prob sell you the hose plug cheap.
D

OP
OP
Crevalle

Crevalle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded one of the pumps with an icecap 2000 gyre. I did ditch the the scrubbies. I got a piece of aquamesh off of BRS and cut pieces to fit the overflow for now. Still contemplating a standpipe. The tang died not sure why but he never really came out of the rocks and never saw him eat. I picked up a sailfin blenny. He is awesome and never stops looking for algae on the rocks. I also added a small clean up crew from reef cleaners.
Sunday I added my first 2 frags, a favia and a blasto. The favia has already added 3 small heads to the 3 that were already there. I think one of the cerith snails laid eggs today too. Hoping nothing eats them and they hatch.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back