The last hurrah…Or is it? - CADE Peninsula Series 1500 S2/P

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

After many years away from the hobby and a move to a new home completed, I have been blessed with opportunity to setup another reef tank. I have been in and out of this hobby for around 35 years. One thing that amazes me is how expensive everything has become. I think I’m showing my age The tank will be a mixed reef leaning more towards SPS. I will start off with the tank/equipment specs below. I have bought most of the items aside from the lighting, power heads and dosing system as I have not decided on these items yet. Any thoughts/suggestions on the lighting, power heads and dosing system would be greatly appreciated. I should have some pics uploaded this weekend:

Aquarium, Stand and Sump
  • CADE Peninsula 1500 S2/P 178 Gallon 59"x29.5"x23.5"
  • CADE Stand (Black) 59"x29.5"x35.4"
  • CADE Glass Sump 35.4"x25.2"x16.2"
Mesh Top
  • Toplids Polycarbonate/Mesh top
Lighting
  • Option 1: 2 x ATI Straton Pro 204 – Anthracite Grey
  • Option 2: 4 x Dalua Illumagic X4 Reefer Pro and 2 x Dalua Vitamin Strip Actinic 60”
  • Option 3: 4 x Ecotech Radion XR30 G6 Pro LED and 2 x Aqua Illumination Blade Smart LED Strip – Coral Grow 57’’
Internal Flow Pumps
  • Option 1: 4 x Ecotech VorTech MP40mQD - Mobius Ready QuietDrive Propeller Pump
  • Option 2: 2 x Ecotech VorTech MP60mQD - Mobius Ready QuietDrive Propeller Pump
Return Pump
  • Red Dragon® 5 ECO 130 Watt / 11,0m³ / 3000 GAL
Auto Top Off
  • Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155 Auto Top Off
  • Tunze Turbelle High Jet Pump
Filter Roller
  • Clarissa SK-5000 Gen 3 Automatic Filter System
Protein Skimmer
  • Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 DC Controllable Protein Skimmer
UV Sterilizer
  • Lifeguard Aquatics 55Watt 3" Pro-MAX High Output UV Sterilizer
Carbon Reactor
  • Nyos Torq 1.0 G2 Modular Media Reactor
Heating
  • Innovative Marine 700Watt Helio PTC Smart Heater
Controller
  • GHL Profilux Mini WiFi
Dosing
  • Option 1: Deltec KM500 - Kalkwasser Stirrer and Kamoer FX-STP Wifi Continuous Duty Peristaltic Dosing Pump
  • Option 2: Ecotech Versa Pump 4 Pack with Base Station for Two Part Dosing.
  • Option 3: Calcium reactor setup
RODI
  • AquaFX Afishionado-Special 100GPD RO/DI System - Chloramine Blaster

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get either a hydros or a Apex over a Profilux, unless your comfortable with the proflux.

If you get a hydros, id go the control x10 route with the isolated testing vessle.
You'll still need an Alkatronic, and have it control your alk dosing.

If you go apex, id definitely go the full Trident + DoS and set up automatic dosing.
Trident is probably a better route with ABC reagent.
But i really love my Apex + Trident + DoS. Keeps my Alk + Ca locked on, and has about a 20% margin window it can control dose on depending on Trident result. Meaning +20% or -20% as needed.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get either a hydros or a Apex over a Profilux, unless your comfortable with the proflux.

If you get a hydros, id go the control x10 route with the isolated testing vessle.

If you go apex, id definitely go the full Trident + DoS and set up automatic dosing.
But i really love my Apex + Trident + DoS. Keeps my Alk + Ca locked on, and has about a 20% margin window it can control dose on depending on Trident result. Meaning +20% or -20% as

But i really love my Apex + Trident + DoS. Keeps my Alk + Ca locked on, and has about a 20% margin window it can control dose on depending on Trident result. Meaning +20% or -20% as needed.
Hi Naekuh! I appreciate your feedback. I’m very leery of controllers along with allot of automation. Too many possibly failure points for me. I was going to get the Profilux mini just to monitor my Ph/Temp along with serving as a backup controller for my heaters. Could you let me know why you prefer the Hydros and Apex over the Profilux? From what I have read the Profilux hardware is bullet proof and for my use case I think it would work perfectly. Currently I don’t mind manually testing and adjusting dosing as needed.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your comfortable with the GHL, by all means don't let me stop you.
It just seems the concensus on this forum is, that Apex or Hydros is the go to controller.

I just perfer the Apex, because of Trident, and DoS.
I honestly think the DoS is probably one of the greatest dosers, because the stepper motor on these guys are massive. Much bigger then most of the competition and its fairly quiet.

I like Automation, becuase it really makes your life a lot easier. All you need to do is check the dashboard for any abnormalities, while the Trident / DoS does the rest. At first i was like you, scared of something getting stuck, and then nuking my tank, but i don't think i see many of those threads anymore.

Also you can start automation slowly, and as you get more comfortable with it, switch over one thing at a time. For me is Alk + Ca + Mg testing. And then it was control dosing after that.

I only wish i had a auto roller instead of filter socks, because all these automation has gotten me lazy to the point where even changing out filter socks and tossing them in a bucket with chrlorine is a chore now.

Im a firm supporter / believer of work smarter and not harder.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just seems the concensus on this forum is, that Apex or Hydros is the go to controller.

I honestly think the DoS is probably one of the greatest dosers, because the stepper motor on these guys are massive. Much bigger then most of the competition and its fairly quiet.

I like Automation, becuase it really makes your life a lot easier. All you need to do is check the dashboard for any abnormalities, while the Trident / DoS does the rest. At first i was like you, scared of something getting stuck, and then nuking my tank, but i don't think i see many of those threads anymore.

Also you can start automation slowly, and as you get more comfortable with it, switch over one thing at a time. For me is Alk + Ca + Mg testing. And then it was control dosing after that.

I only wish i had a auto roller instead of filter socks, because all these automation has gotten me lazy to the point where even changing out filter socks and tossing them in a bucket with chrlorine is a chore now.

I think the Profilux mini is a good start for me to dip my toes into some automation without breaking the bank. Hopefully building some trust in controllers along the way. I do like the Apex/Trident/DoS combo.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pictures of my RODI equipment and water storage/saltwater mixing station.
5E0FE3CF-E23D-40AB-88E8-DE6D131BF170.jpeg
4E15BCEC-B7AF-4AAF-B1FA-35021F980DD5.jpeg
D16B4860-EA03-4893-8D9D-0032FFB7F19F.jpeg
4ED73EE3-9A64-4DD9-B75D-2CB44453DEE6.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this Rubbermaid cart that I think is one of the best things ever. I can see it coming in handy for all sorts of maintenance tasks.
66E99879-035C-492B-BF9C-0086E082B520.jpeg

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you decided on your lights?
I have several options I’m looking at, but it’s really difficult to pick without being able to see how the lights look in person. These are my front runners:
  • Option 2: 4 x Dalua Illumagic X4 Reefer Pro and 2 x Dalua Vitamin Strip Actinic 60”
  • Option 3: 4 x Ecotech Radion XR30 G6 Pro LED and 2 x Aqua Illumination Blade Smart LED Strip – Coral Grow 57’’
I’m going to be going to Reef Palooza in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can see some of the lights in action at the show as well as visit a few of the fish stores to help finalize my decision.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have several options I’m looking at, but it’s really difficult to pick without being able to see how the lights look in person. These are my front runners:
I’m going to be going to Reef Palooza in a couple weeks. Hopefully I can see some of the lights in action at the show as well as visit a few of the fish stores to help finalize my decision.
I’m considering the same on option 2 and 3 for a 4ft tank. Also looking at just 3 AI Blades - 2 Grow and 1 Glow. Let me know what you find!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for 30+.
My tank is similar size but not a peninsula. 59×30×21.7
I went with 2 ReefBreeder 50's for lights. I was going to go with 5 xr15 in a hybrid T5 but am just going to use the 15's on my frag system since I know what they do from my old system.
I cam get 400 par on the bottom with the Breeders.
I prefer a calcium reactor and have a geo 818 with a Kamoer pump to pull through.
For flow I am using 2 sea sweeps with 2 Tunze 6255's. I did not want
Multiple powerheads as I ran 6 in my old 120.
The sweeps provide excellent random flow. Running on lowest setting and turning up as the system grows in. The 6255's are very strong pumps and will be all I need.
My 150lbs of live rock should be here next week.
Check my current build for more info.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unfamiliar with the ghl, but I jave used an apex in 2010 and then again now. I rely on it for alerts and controlling pumps, skimmer, heaters, ato, alerts, and an automatic feeder. I don't think I would ever trust it for dosing based on trident results, but am open to the use of a trident. The water sensors allow me to keep equipment in check, shutoff pumps before a bigger problem occurs, and alert me of the issue. Imo, this alone makes an apex worth while. You don't need to automate everything to make the apex useful for you.

Really looking forward to watching the tank's progress.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering the same on option 2 and 3 for a 4ft tank. Also looking at just 3 AI Blades - 2 Grow and 1 Glow. Let me know what you fi
I’m considering the same on option 2 and 3 for a 4ft tank. Also looking at just 3 AI Blades - 2 Grow and 1 Glow. Let me know what you find!

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s another great option I was thinking of adding to my list as well. 4 AI Grow and 2 AI Glow. I like the idea of being able to mount them very close to the surface of the water to eliminate light spill. Although finding a mounting solution that makes the inside of the aquarium easily accessible may be a challenge.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby for 30+.
My tank is similar size but not a peninsula. 59×30×21.7
I went with 2 ReefBreeder 50's for lights. I was going to go with 5 xr15 in a hybrid T5 but am just going to use the 15's on my frag system since I know what they do from my old system.
I cam get 400 par on the bottom with the Breeders.
I prefer a calcium reactor and have a geo 818 with a Kamoer pump to pull through.
For flow I am using 2 sea sweeps with 2 Tunze 6255's. I did not want
Multiple powerheads as I ran 6 in my old 120.
The sweeps provide excellent random flow. Running on lowest setting and turning up as the system grows in. The 6255's are very strong pumps and will be all I need.
My 150lbs of live rock should be here next week.
Check my current build for more info.

BR260354

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s another great option I was thinking of adding to my list as well. 4 AI Grow and 2 AI Glow. I like the idea of being able to mount them very close to the surface of the water to eliminate light spill. Although finding a mounting solution that makes the inside of the aquarium easily accessible may be a challenge.
Looking to do a floating light bar like the one from Reef Dudes. I have someone helping me with the design within the forum.

Here’s another option -
Post in thread 'Isaac's CADE 1500s2/ Peninsula Reef Build'
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/isaacs-cade-1500s2-peninsula-reef-build.919947/post-10386374

For light spill, Treasure Corals has something for the AI Blades. I may consider that as well.

OP
OP
M

MNSPS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unfamiliar with the ghl, but I jave used an apex in 2010 and then again now. I rely on it for alerts and controlling pumps, skimmer, heaters, ato, alerts, and an automatic feeder. I don't think I would ever trust it for dosing based on trident results, but am open to the use of a trident. The water sensors allow me to keep equipment in check, shutoff pumps before a bigger problem occurs, and alert me of the issue. Imo, this alone makes an apex worth while. You don't need to automate everything to make the apex useful for you.

Really looking forward to watching the tank's progress.
My biggest concern with a controller is if the controller itself fails and you have the majority of your equipment plugged into it. Is there any type of alert/notification that would be sent if this occurred?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back