The Mediocreef

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'd be great! She already likes you for the honey, so it'd be an easier apology.

That's amazing! Is that yours?
It's my car but I had a friend make the sticker. Ima see if I have any more laying around.

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You going for the gyres?! 30% off is a good deal! I've had good luck with the Jebao SCP-150s so far. Been a year or so, but minimal maintence and easy to clean. They make flow in my frag tank ezpz.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My only complaint when I had gyres, was the thick film of cyano that grew right on top - and only there in my tank. It was a weird phenomenon, I swear. Loved the flow though... Cyano clearly did too :upside-down-face:

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in bed by the time these came in.
You going for the gyres?! 30% off is a good deal! I've had good luck with the Jebao SCP-150s so far. Been a year or so, but minimal maintence and easy to clean. They make flow in my frag tank ezpz.

My only complaint when I had gyres, was the thick film of cyano that grew right on top - and only there in my tank. It was a weird phenomenon, I swear. Loved the flow though... Cyano clearly did too :upside-down-face:

I did get the 350. After spending a lot more on flights to a Texas wedding in February.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much trouble do I want to get into?

We tested the coralife with the radion and it isn't offensive, actually I kinda liked the daylight effect it offered. I will need ot be cautious with coral placement. The coralife really wont grow too much.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much trouble do I want to get into?

We tested the coralife with the radion and it isn't offensive, actually I kinda liked the daylight effect it offered. I will need ot be cautious with coral placement. The coralife really wont grow too much.
You Should Do It GIF by Halloween

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
science question for science people: I am curing and trying to pull po out of the rock that came with the tank, roughly 120#. But it is outside, which at present is 45 degrees. Does temp matter when I am only trying to pull po out? everything in it is dead, so that is not a concern to me. But am I slowing or stopping the leaching at these temps?

edit: what say you @Randy Holmes-Farley reef chemist?

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
science question for science people: I am curing and trying to pull po out of the rock that came with the tank, roughly 120#. But it is outside, which at present is 45 degrees. Does temp matter when I am only trying to pull po out? everything in it is dead, so that is not a concern to me. But am I slowing or stopping the leaching at these temps?

edit: what say you @Randy Holmes-Farley reef chemist?
I was talking to a friend today and I came up with a plan, while we're on the subject. I'm wondering if dosing the soaking water with high phosphates to start saturation would be beneficial. I still can't keep any phosphates for more than a day or two before it drops back to 0. I'm thinking of I saturated the new rock when I add it to the tank it may release some into the water which would help saturate the existing rock which would then allow me to start having detectable phosphates.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to a friend today and I came up with a plan, while we're on the subject. I'm wondering if dosing the soaking water with high phosphates to start saturation would be beneficial. I still can't keep any phosphates for more than a day or two before it drops back to 0. I'm thinking of I saturated the new rock when I add it to the tank it may release some into the water which would help saturate the existing rock which would then allow me to start having detectable phosphates.
I'm not sure how long you'd have to soak the rock too get it bound but it could work as a continuous doser. Start a Fowler tank so you have a high nutrient system and swap out the rock every now and again.

I don't even know what the readings on the old rock are though, just assume I lost a lot in it so probably high.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm not sure how long you'd have to soak the rock too get it bound but it could work as a continuous doser. Start a Fowler tank so you have a high nutrient system and swap out the rock every now and again.

I don't even know what the readings on the old rock are though, just assume I lost a lot in it so probably high.
The last batch soaked for a month or so in saltwater.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
After much talk and many headaches (I hate selling on Facebook) the terrarium is gone to a good home. I miss it and the TV wall is now boring. But I have $250 I can put back into tanks. @tbrown3589 you now have me beat in terms of terrariums.
IMG_20221224_164654531_HDR.jpg
I have zero set up but I have 4 in the garage and 1 in the house.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back