The Mediocreef

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Some have a Hanna Mag tester, and the non junk reagent kit and have still never tested it...
I use Salifert and it's always pretty consistent and seems accurate since it registers what I add pretty close to what I thought I added.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably wouldn't spend Hanna money on it, but salifert is a pita, two additives then a titration for a color change. How blue does it need to be? Is that the grey they want or is that a purple?

If 1350 or greater is fine I may not mess.
This is an excellent question about the colors. However, mine never changes color before I run out of solution (like yours previously) So I guess it doesnt matter. I know I am north of 1500

I have the same question with the salifert Alk test. Do you stop as soon as the color starts to change or go until it is the red/pink orange? The red sea pro ALK seems to be a more specific change and easier to gauge than the saliferts. Either way I try not to get too wrapped up in what the exact number is and try to stay within a comfortable range. Personally, I struggle with the chemistry concepts in this hobby. I know where things should be and how to make slow adjustments if needed, but I'm awful at preemptive chemistry swings. This is one of the big reals I prefer my friendly soft and LPS friends Vs the moody stick creatures. I attribute what success I have had so far, to my ridiculous competitiveness. I refuse to let the issues in my tank get the best of me, regardless, of how miserable it makes me in the process. It is not because I know what I am doing. lol

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is an excellent question about the colors. However, mine never changes color before I run out of solution (like yours previously) So I guess it doesnt matter. I know I am north of 1500

I have the same question with the salifert Alk test. Do you stop as soon as the color starts to change or go until it is the red/pink orange? The red sea pro ALK seems to be a more specific change and easier to gauge than the saliferts. Either way I try not to get too wrapped up in what the exact number is and try to stay within a comfortable range. Personally, I struggle with the chemistry concepts in this hobby. I know where things should be and how to make slow adjustments if needed, but I'm awful at preemptive chemistry swings. This is one of the big reals I prefer my friendly soft and LPS friends Vs the moody stick creatures. I attribute what success I have had so far, to my ridiculous competitiveness. I refuse to let the issues in my tank get the best of me, regardless, of how miserable it makes me in the process. It is not because I know what I am doing. lol
So I checked mine with Hanna yesterday and then with Salifert to compare. Hanna reading was identical when it changed fully. However, that same theory puts my calcium over 500. API says fully.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been over the moon with this tank that my sps are not only not dying, but seem to be happy. that is why I have started paying attention. low alk and calc got me to test mag. I could know many more things and my tank will only resemble tanks like frank's or steve's in the dirty glass. That's why this is the medeocreef.

still not sure what an average reefer is though. do they worry about mag?

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I checked mine with Hanna yesterday and then with Salifert to compare. Hanna reading was identical when it changed fully. However, that same theory puts my calcium over 500. API says fully.
the test last night was the first time I have gone to color change. historically I'd stop at 22 drops in. if it's over 450, I'm not worried about the number.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been over the moon with this tank that my sps are not only not dying, but seem to be happy. that is why I have started paying attention. low alk and calc got me to test mag. I could know many more things and my tank will only resemble tanks like frank's or steve's in the dirty glass. That's why this is the medeocreef.

From my limited understanding on the subject, Mag is only usually problem when it is low, rather than high. Mine has always tested 1500+ no matter what my ALK or CALC is doing.
It wasn't until recently that a read a post by the other Becky that snails don't like high mag.

However, I will say that none of my parameters ever seem to be balanced. My CA is always way higher than what my ALK says it should be if it were balanced. and my PH doesn't seem effected that much when my ALK got low.
Joey Bosa Video GIF

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So optimal mag for an 8dKH tank would be 1365, if we are using the ratios of elements present in the ocean. A little higher is not an issue, but no need to get above 1500.
I’ve found some good tanks and a strategy I want to use, and they use really high Mag. 1450 to 1550. The corals seem to love it. Though time will tell if they like it in my tank or not. I don’t plan on having my dKH high though 9 would be the highest.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Salifert and it's always pretty consistent and seems accurate since it registers what I add pretty close to what I thought I added.
I have a salifert one for Mag as well but I like the Aquaforest better, much better lol

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never tested Mag in any of my tanks, past or present.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, but I'm not average and my SPS are kinda just hanging in there.
They not weird enough for you ;) i have noticed that increasingly what I look at is labeled "advanced" but I tend to run before I walk.
From my limited understanding on the subject, Mag is only usually problem when it is low, rather than high. Mine has always tested 1500+ no matter what my ALK or CALC is doing.
It wasn't until recently that a read a post by the other Becky that snails don't like high mag.
Stan Becky? good gal.
However, I will say that none of my parameters ever seem to be balanced. My CA is always way higher than what my ALK says it should be if it were balanced. and my PH doesn't seem effected that much when my ALK got low.
Joey Bosa Video GIF
since this is about the first time I have had a reliable calc number (other than "over 450") I can't speak to the balance. I did see skeleton grew through the flesh of a pectinia when my alk was 10+. That was the first reason I started paying attention to it.
I've never tested Mag in any of my tanks, past or present.
you're missing out, it's confusing.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as color changes and how to know when good is good. I just shoot for the same color every time. Then at least I am consistent with the results I should get. If something is way off the average I re test. The only time my mag tested below 1500 wa when I was dosing silicates for dinos. I am sure the is a reason for that chemically. And yeah I ran that test like 3 times bc it was out of the normal.

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as color changes and how to know when good is good. I just shoot for the same color every time. Then at least I am consistent with the results I should get. If something is way off the average I re test. The only time my mag tested below 1500 wa when I was dosing silicates for dinos. I am sure the is a reason for that chemically. And yeah I ran that test like 3 times bc it was out of the normal.
So you keep you Mag high as well?

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you keep you Mag high as well?
I don't keep it there, sadly, that's where it is. No clue why. Heard it's the salt batch, the lack of large amounts of corals, etc etc. It is what it is. Wish I could get it down. I have already lost 2 of the 4 turbos from Saturday. Cant seem to keep them for the life of me. And boy do those things stink when they go.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a good and manageable strategy.
I don't keep it there, sadly, that's where it is. No clue why. Heard it's the salt batch, the lack of large amounts of corals, etc etc. It is what it is. Wish I could get it down. I have already lost 2 of the 4 turbos from Saturday. Cant seem to keep them for the life of me. And boy do those things stink when they go.
also might be the reason for my cuc disappearances. I used to blame the gnomes.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They not weird enough for you ;) i have noticed that increasingly what I look at is labeled "advanced" but I tend to run before I walk.
My SPS that is doing well and growing (slowly) are my weird pavonas. So maybe I just need to stick with the weird. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
IMG_5953.jpeg

So to take this photo I had to blast some cyano and had the thought that I probably need to increase flow. Then I suddenly realized that I had turned down my flow as low as possible for my new RFA's and had forgotten to turn it back up.
Ryan Reynolds Ugh GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My SPS that is doing well and growing (slowly) are my weird pavonas. So maybe I just need to stick with the weird. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
IMG_5953.jpeg

So to take this photo I had to blast some cyano and had the thought that I probably need to increase flow. Then I suddenly realized that I had turned down my flow as low as possible for my new RFA's and had forgotten to turn it back up.
My freak hair isn't doing much, but I have a purple on my overflow box that is fuzzy (like yours on the right) for the first time since I got it.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5953.jpeg

been there done that. One time I forgot to turn my return back on in my evo for 2 days :face-with-hand-over-mouth: :rolleyes:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back