The Mindstream is DEAD!! I'm getting mine soon!

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Respectfully I have to disagree.
Reagents are chemicals that can be obtained from many places.
The convenience of buying Hanna or API and the like are not in anyway a subscription.
The equipment will still function using other reagents.

But anyway I like the way the tech is moving forward in this industry.
I don't know if Mindstream will wind up the top dog, and the equipment to have over everything else.
For me at the current cost of $1,000.00, my gut and common sense tells me to wait and see.
Let the initial pioneers do the testing and I will consider purchasing way down the road.

Out of the 10 things Mindstream will test for in my opinion are thirdly redundant to what we already have in use for the most part.

Salinity, Temperature, pH**, Ammonia.
I don't know if Ammonia is even needed for established systems.
We will know what the salinity is when we mix and perform water changes.
Temp well I currently have three ways to read that now.
PH, well anymore once its stable then aside from double checking now and again its not as much of a concern anymore.
Oxygen, Potassium, well ok I guess this is on the list but truly something we need to monitor?
Carbon Dioxide? Same do we need to know?

The big three is the key. Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium, and what most of us want to know.

That’s cool, but I’ll still get one. I want more data. :)

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These testing threads are interesting. So many folks have to voice why they do not want to buy product x. That’s fine, why the need for y’all to point it out in lengthy terms? Don’t buy it if you don’t want it. Are you trying to save others from making a perceived mistake?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Like I said, I'm excited to get mine. I don't test as often as I should, and I am obsessively worried about my own testing and human error (which in all honesty might be at least part of why I don't test as often as I should). I'm excited about the ability to monitor with consistency and remove the human factor. I'll continue to use occasional ICP tests to verify my results and will likely still conduct some manual tests periodically again to verify results. If the precision of this monitor is anywhere near as accurate as advertised, that's certainly worth it to me.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, I'm excited to get mine. I don't test as often as I should, and I am obsessively worried about my own testing and human error (which in all honesty might be at least part of why I don't test as often as I should). I'm excited about the ability to monitor with consistency and remove the human factor. I'll continue to use occasional ICP tests to verify my results and will likely still conduct some manual tests periodically again to verify results. If the precision of this monitor is anywhere near as accurate as advertised, that's certainly worth it to me.
I am also excited about this advancement in technology. It has many novel applications. Incomparable to any other monitoring system, even one that is kludged together from multiple devices.

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These testing threads are interesting. So many folks have to voice why they do not want to buy product x. That’s fine, why the need for y’all to point it out in lengthy terms? Don’t buy it if you don’t want it. Are you trying to save others from making a perceived mistake?

Every new product roll out generates post after post of why “I won’t buy it”. I’m not sure what the motivation is but it doesn’t make much sense unless the product is a total scam. My view is that more cutting edge products only benefit the hobby. I’ve had the Alkatronic since it was first released and love it, but I’m excited about the Mindstream and look forward to using the new technology and data.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One of the great joys in any hobby (and one that does not require a subscription) is debating equipment with other hobbyists. You should hear model train guys debate digital command control systems..

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all the testing hardware we are getting now will give us better insights into the issues we have been dealing with in our aquariums for years now. Knowing the trends of the parameters will help us make better decisions on water quality and when or even if one needs to change the water. If a dosing program is being effective or are we over dosing a tank. It will allow you to better target when to dose. Did the corals uptake all the chemicals dosed. Is the amount of food we feed our fishes and their waste causing so much phosphate to contribute to the algae growing in my tank. If I am using a phosphate compound is more needed to reduce it to a non algae causing level. Or is the media reached its expedable level and is not working any more and needs to be changed out. This tech will in the future answer many of our questions in the hobby.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, I’m not getting what you mean. Where else beside their app/site would you expect it to reside?

I believe he means how much data will be available. If you have been testing for a year will every test be available or just maybe the last 30 days worth. This is all stored on their website and apparently not something you can store locally. A lot of people that get into the data side would like to have access to the data to do their on analysis.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry, I’m not getting what you mean. Where else beside their app/site would you expect it to reside?

I believe he means how much data will be available. If you have been testing for a year will every test be available or just maybe the last 30 days worth. This is all stored on their website and apparently not something you can store locally. A lot of people that get into the data side would like to have access to the data to do their on analysis.

Yes, this exactly. I believe they did say that your data will be viewable through their website for a year which is fine, I don't expect them to store my data indefinitely, but say nothing about what access you will have to your data beyond viewing through whatever views they choose to make available . Ideally it would be an instrument where I can pull the data directly or have the data pushed. Having a website is great for users who don't wish to bother but we should have the ability to directly access and store the data the device is creating in real time. It is my data.

Last edited:

reef_ranch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, this exactly. I believe they did say that your data will be viewable through their website for a year which is fine, I don't expect them to store my data indefinitely, but say nothing about what access you will have to your data beyond viewing through whatever views they choose to make available . Ideally it would be an instrument where I can pull the data directly or have the data pushed. Having a website is great for users who don't wish to bother but we should have the ability to directly access and store the data the device is creating in real time. It is my data.

Why are concluding you can’t download the historical data? Is this an issue with other cloud based testing products out there such as Apex Fusion and MyGHL? You can download the historical data from the Alkatronic cloud server, but I’m not sure the time period available. It’s certainly a function I’d like to see.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mindstream monitor plus Reefbot for NO3 and PO4 is the ticket.

@BDegen Are there plans for an API and a way to download and archive datasets? I think we would all be interested in that, would be nice to have historical data for later analysis.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The the posters questiong the negative or wont buy posts.
I understand your point of view.
All I ask is keep an open mind. Everyone bennifits with comunications on both sides of the coin.
The people who are behind Mindstream though they may not comment here I am sure if they are a diligent in business are watching and reading these threads.
So hopefully they can get a real idea of the consumers thoughts.
Good business practice must evaluate every aspect possible when bringing a product to market.
The more accurate we can be on either the positive or negative side should be of bennifit.
In the end it will or should bennifit everyone.

ChrisNH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are concluding you can’t download the historical data?

I said it was unclear based on what material is available. It is also unclear if we will be able access the data on the instrument directly in real time which is what I desire although in all honesty this device is probably not in my budget in the short term.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back