OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the big news in is another thread, but life has hit...

I am probably going to up and move out of state over Christmas (plans will be settled this week) so I am looking at having to break it down, transport it 6 hours by truck, and then set it back up again.

I have put a lot of thought into it, and posted a "critique my moving plan" post, and have been making adjustments to the plan as a few people have commented ideas.

Basically, no new inhabitants. I have lost two SPS pieces to brown out (I think I got a little lax on my ALK) but all of my LPS and softies are growing, as are the new fish. Not soon after I posted the picture of the clowns up a couple posts, they "owned" the cave they are in, and have been reliable spawning and laying eggs once a week, too!

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the breakdown for the move begins. I have moved all the coral and inhabitants to my hospital tank. Most of my live rock is in two brute trash barrels with pumps circulating water, and I am going to start cleaning everything really well.

I have new sand ready to go for when I arrive in my new home.
48a4301f9c52f5fd1e51afffe69ce175.jpg
1371250632ee80609bea4da4d8323f70.jpg
73cf0971bd1b2063d18d4992e4cd0883.jpg

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best laid plans of mice and men....

I did move to Las Cruces in December as I mentioned, but sadly life, work, and issues with electrical in the new house all combined to throw a wrench into my immediate re-start plans.

So, I am getting ready for re-start number 2. I will probably just continue with this particular thread, as the tank is the same tank, only everything inside will have changed. Sadly, despite my best efforts, I lost all of my coral over the previous 8 months, and all but my 3 longest lasting fish that seem to be able to survive anything! I have my 2 Ocellaris clowns and my Pajama Cardinal. All have been living in my 50 gallon "hospital tank" (that I had turned into a reef tank with lights and rock. )

The tank is in its new home, a new landscape has been put together, and it is slowly filling with salt water. Once it is full (probably late tonight or tomorrow morning) the cycling will begin. I will also try and post some pictures.

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably the most depressing thread I have ever posted in this (or any other) reef forum...

Life has simply kicked me in the butt.. My tank has fallen into a very sad state through a combination of being depressed about losing all my coral, and some medical challenges. I recently lost one of my two original clowns (they were probably 10 years old, and the first fish I got when I had my 55 gallon tank.) I also have my pajama cardinal who is also probably 7-8 years old. Those are the only 2 fish in a 210 gallon tank. I have a clean up crew, and a TON of hair algae.

I have a small clean up crew, but not up to the task of keeping up with this big of a tank algae-wise, so I also have a tone of hair algae. On the positive side, my two nemeses from previous tanks, bubble algae and aptasia, have not yet made an appearance.

The main reason I am posting is to help shame myself into making my tank be the tank I want it to be, and get back in the habit of being on ReefCentral daily, and be more active.

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am excited to say that things are looking up for me financially wise (time wise is still tough) and, combined with a Live Aquaria Gift Certificate I won here in a Supporting Partner drawing, some new fish and corals are on the way.

Hair algae is still a battle, but I am making strides. QT observation tank is up and running, waiting for new occupants.

Over the past month I have been working towards getting everything ramped up. I currently have a Grindal Worm culture that is going gangbusters using @SDK 's grindal worm methods.

I also have a copepod culture going, as well as adding a bottle to my tank; I am giving culturing phyto a try as well.

Once everything is in a state I can take pictures, I will start updating this thread with pictures!

SDK

Reef Diver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear on all fronts. Next up in your live food culture journey should be white worms. Between the three you will have appropriate size live foods for just about anything...

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear on all fronts. Next up in your live food culture journey should be white worms. Between the three you will have appropriate size live foods for just about anything...

I have been considering it; trying to see how the Grindal Worms do with my new inhabitants headed this way. My two old timers are not impressed, but they have subsisted on only frozen for most of their lives...

I really appreciate the detailed instructions you posted for the Grindals... it worked out perfectly...

OP
OP
azbigjohn

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time to post how far my tank has fallen, to serve as a basis to look for improvement.

Alas, here is the hair algae filled mess that feeding only 2 fish in a 210 gallon tank. Overfeeding is almost guarenteed...
20191021_105516.jpg

Just for showing it all, here is the sump area...
20191021_105539.jpg

Last but not least, my QT area, along with my pod culture, and, in the next day or two my phyto culturing area...
20191021_111215.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back