The opportunity cost of one Vortech MP60 - Greed in the aquarium hobby. Apex & Vortech & More

OP
OP
Fish_Sticks

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not the one flexing powerhead purchases in a thread about price gouging. Quit trolling.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not the one flexing powerhead purchases in a thread about price gouging. Quit trolling.

Actually not flexing- this is a single powerhead... flexing would be showing a closet full of boxes. Which is available upon request!

But here’s the thing. Your thread never made sense. You are complaining about the price and quality.... yet nobody ever said you had to get one. You can use whatever equipment you want, as can I.

It’s not price gouging if there are alternatives available. Price gouging implies there is something unethical going on- like raising prices on something that someone NEEDS to survive.

An expensive product does not mean price gouging is going on. Or do you make threads on Ferrari and Apple forums complaining about prices as well?

TL, DR;

“Price gouging” does not refer to anything that you cannot afford. There are dozens of cheaper alternatives- and given how much you dislike Ecotech, I would suggest you shop elsewhere!

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you Won't be getting the last Abyss pump than.

Funny you mention return pumps. To me, Ecotech return pumps are absolutly not worth it— my $100 Jebao does the same thing. I just like Vortechs and Radions, which, in my opinion, not to offend anyone, are worth it.

OP
OP
Fish_Sticks

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im glad the same 3 people are entertained and keep coming back to press their opinion and repeat themselves 5 and 6 times. Meanwhile thousands have viewed the thread and a handful have provided good discussion on why they beleive the price gouging could be justified.

Last edited:

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use MP40s and jebaos for pumps.

I went with the MP40s because of the software programmed in, allowing RF communication, variable speed modes (tidal swell for me) and anti-sync capability. Some people like the magnet being outside the tank as well. The software capabilities programmed into all the pumps is quite valuable IMO. The software interface (either via the native pumps or the reeflink) isn't that great. Honestly, if you're getting it just as a wavemaker and won't use the programmable multi-pump features, I don't think it's worth it.

The same things are possible with Jebaos but the firmware does not support it. I suppose I could hack it in, either via apex or some other controller. (ETA: the sine wave function and random mode on the jebao controllers are probably roughly equivalent to lagoon and reef crest modes) At some point I am going to buy a backup jebao as insurance, and just swap it once a pump really dies.

My impression is that Jebao is just the brand name, used by the factory that makes hydor and other brands of pumps, to market its own knockoffs. I think cloning a remotely reliable MP40 would be very hard at a decent price point, as I don't see even in China (where IP law and copyright is nonexistent) anyone making true MP40 knockoffs.

All that said, it's a completely free market, no one forces one to buy one brand or another. Insults against any brand are uncalled for.

Last edited:

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Again it’s called a choice, I’m at work bored bro I’m just trolling but again it’s a choice how you do a post to rip the price of something you “don’t want” lol

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to mention I did end up buying the flipper glass cleaner as it seemed like a simply superior quality all though more expensive than other scrapers/scrubbers. Also fair to mention that's comparing $10 to $40 not $60 to $300

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy used. I have two mp 10s in my 65 that I bought for $50 each. Lot of people jump into the hobby buy the must have best,then find that they don't have the time or patience for it.

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This gets weirder, ecotech has a parent company that is the same as one of the later Neptune systems shell corps I found.
6F6389B8-F80C-409E-9FDA-803E5BC715CD.jpeg

Registered Agent Information is not ownership. You may pay a company to register your company. Delaware has their incorporation laws favorable towards businesses.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naah, almost certainly tariff related. Seeing this across a broad spectrum of products. It’s been a while since there was any kind of price increase on these.

Last edited:

Conor_K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naah, almost certainly tariff related. Seeing this across a broad spectrum of products. It’s been a while since there was any kind of price increase on these. So I bought two .....

My thoughts exactly. I have been dealing with this for the past 6 months in the electronics field i work in.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took advantage of the price increase and picked up a couple of additional MP60. Hmmn, maybe I should have done that before the change - ah, what the heck, If I’m going to get screwed over, I want to get really screwed over .....

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you... I get aggravated specifically with corals being labeled "Aussie" and charging 200% more than they should cost... Are there corals that are from Australia, of course there are but I personally don't believe every other coral being sold today is "Aussie". Especially when I recently went to my local LFS and they were trying to push "Aussie" Green Star polyps for $129 which clearly proved to me this whole "Aussie" labeled corals is all nonsense.

OP
OP
Fish_Sticks

Fish_Sticks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with you... I get aggravated specifically with corals being labeled "Aussie" and charging 200% more than they should cost... Are there corals that are from Australia, of course there are but I personally don't believe every other coral being sold today is "Aussie". Especially when I recently went to my local LFS and they were trying to push "Aussie" Green Star polyps for $129 which clearly proved to me this whole "Aussie" labeled corals is all nonsense.

If somebody wants to pay 130 for gsp, I might just be a billionaire

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Seem to recall GSP when diving on the Great Barrier Reef so I’m unsure of your point? With the various collecting bans of recent vintage, AUS has been a popular source. No conspiracy.

Broadwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seem to recall GSP when diving on the Great Barrier Reef so I’m unsure of your point? With the various collecting bans of recent vintage, AUS has been a popular source. No conspiracy.

Glad you were able to dive the Great Barrier Reef, must have been an excellent experience as most people don't get to experience that.

I'm pretty sure GSP is know to grow in other parts of the indo-pacific ocean besides GBR. The point is, unless the coral vendors can verify the coral actually came from Australia, they really shouldn't be labeling as such and jacking the prices up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back