The real Black Box light study

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what tv wall mount is that most wont tilt all the way down like that ive been looking all over tryna figure out a nice way to mount 3 mars aquas
I have modified them slightly and made an aluminium plate to get the centres of the studs and put spacers on them to clear the fans. I also re drilled the end bit to rotate the light downwards see pics.
Screenshot_20190831-170701_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190831-170720_Gallery.jpg

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the tv mount I ordered at a cost of £6.99 delivered. The little spacers come in the bag of fittings. This is a new bracket, this one is for a tv this time though and I'm not powder coating it.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ok i see whatcha did drilled the end to flip the mounting bracket thanks for answering questions and giving me a idea how to hang these things looks nice man
Thanks, plus it all folds back out the way, or you can swing it either side while your working in the tank, to have the light right above where you're working, instead of having cast a shadow with your arm.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, fantastic! Have a vipar sat over my tank, which is only 17.7" cubed = I have some BIG use able par throughout the tank! - chuffed is an understatement.

15474094164697139924773769053065.jpg
I'm about to put my viper over a 17 x 17 cube, even thought I know it's overkill. What do you have yours set at for that small of a tank?

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3. This company had this light in production for several years Aquarium System Solution
It is called the Satellite 2 EBAY has them with flex gooseneck(rimless only) and controller for 184$ shipped
as1.jpg
as2.jpg
as3.jpg
as4.jpg
as5.jpg
as6.jpg
as7.jpg
as8.jpg
as9.jpg
I saw these! Very interested! Are they anygood? I am looking into noopsche but i don know if a 90 degree lens will cover a 120 gallon that is 48 x 24 wide, Right now I have a 36 bowfront but will upgrade later to the 120

maleks.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some things that I have learned in reef keeping is the expense involved. One of the most important and most expensive things we purchase is our lights, and having many options to consider from such brands as Kessil,Radion,AI,Geisman and a few others.
These are the big boys in the lighting business and they make a good quality product with the downside, "They can get pricey".
As prices increased many hobbyist went the diy route or buying used lights from other people, while fine and a good way to do things,we do have another choice, Chinese made lights that are way cheaper
than the big named brand lights and offer very competitive output and growth.
A bout a year ago a video was done that examined "A" Black box light that produced some underwhelming results. I feel like the results were not good because the light chosen was a bottom of the barrel light and not one of the many respectable Chinese lights out on the market.
Not ALL Black Box lights are created equal...
1. many lights are well wired
2. many use good quality heatsinks
3. many are not a tinderbox waiting to explode or catch your house on fire when you take the family
on a vacation :p
I have chosen to do a study on various black box lights with my own money and time to better help us decide on what are the good and the bad among these particular lights.

***Results So far***

Kessil 360x
kessilgrid.jpg

Noopsyche K7 ProII
noopsychegrid.jpg
Hydra 26hd
Hydragrid.jpg
Radion XR15w
parradion.jpg

Viparspectra
viparspectrapar.jpg

Mars Aqua 165w
marspar.jpg

Aquarium System Solutions ASML-02
aspar.jpg

SPONSORS
We need to be grateful in that we have such an awesome place here at R2R to get such valuable information in one place, so please visit and support these sponsors willing to help us.
@noopsyche has a sub forum you can visit here https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/noopsyche.1066/
Please visit and show your love to Matt at The Coal Reef for supplying the space,tanks and systems we need to make this happen- https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/the-coral-reef.828/

I will be purchasing various lights from China or where ever I can get the best samples from.
The testing equipment will be a Seneye par meter and a 30-60 gallon cube tank.
(I would like to thank Sustainable Aquatics for letting me use the par meter)

There will be a variety of tests conducted by myself along with @Dr. Reef who has done some very informative work with his bacteria in a bottle studies. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacteria-in-a-bottle-myth-or-fact.403226/

This will be a long process just because of the amount of lights and money it takes to get them.
So please be patient on results and updates.
All lights will be sold after the study so as to recoup some of the money spent.
Please feel free to give some suggestions on what kinds of tests would be beneficial to this study.
****REMEMBER****
This is going to be a very polite discussion and testing thread so no bashing of any company please!
Hey, what are the dimensions of the tank that you tested the 70w butt satellite light on? I might get that light but im worried about coverage and coloration.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back