The real Black Box light study

D.train

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so excited! I can’t wait to see the results of the Lumini Pixie 150! I think it’s going to be the best!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gang,

It was a whirlwind trip with measurements, a store visit, visiting the hatchery, having lunch and hanging with new found friends I feel like I have know forever.

This study is way more than just numbers and opinions and $$$ and gripes and groans about lighting and methods and such.

It is openness, fairness, study and common bond of a love of reef keeping. The sacrifices will go unsaid that are being made here folks. Just suffice to say that ANYONE who doubts the intent or methodology needs to do some serious self reflection. I will leave it at that.

Now, that being said, We had a wonderful time communing with fellow enthusiasts from a young man with a bright future in reefing to an old fart who just can't seem to quit this craziness to a business person with a passion I have rarely seen for this hobby.

I will be making this trip again and again.

Thanks @Manose and Sustainable Aquatics!

OP
OP
Manose

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gang,

It was a whirlwind trip with measurements, a store visit, visiting the hatchery, having lunch and hanging with new found friends I feel like I have know forever.

This study is way more than just numbers and opinions and $$$ and gripes and groans about lighting and methods and such.

It is openness, fairness, study and common bond of a love of reef keeping. The sacrifices will go unsaid that are being made here folks. Just suffice to say that ANYONE who doubts the intent or methodology needs to do some serious self reflection. I will leave it at that.

Now, that being said, We had a wonderful time communing with fellow enthusiasts from a young man with a bright future in reefing to an old fart who just can't seem to quit this craziness to a business person with a passion I have rarely seen for this hobby.

I will be making this trip again and again.

Thanks @Manose and Sustainable Aquatics!
Thank you for making this a great day for me. I am so tired that I can't even type right now lol. I want to see some pics that you took today.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are in my build thread.
I will be back up there as soon as the craziness of the wedding prep is over.
Today was definitely food for the soul that I needed.

It was back to pure reefing fellowship that I haven't had in a while.

Thanks!

Diggem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question would the viparspectra be to much light for a 20 gallon tall not low one if it's to much do you have any thoughts on light that would be good

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My expensive lights are made in Germany.

So you admit they are expensive?

Just kidding! To each his own. But yours are probably some of the few that aren't made in Asia somewhere and I would bet money that a lot of parts out of them are.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you admit they are expensive?

Just kidding! To each his own. But yours are probably some of the few that aren't made in Asia somewhere and I would bet money that a lot of parts out of them are.
I will admit they are expensive compared to the cheap BB lights and not so expensive compared to the Radions or Orpheks. I just like the Mitra's for the way they grow corals in my system, how easy they are to program , and the coverage area, and no disco ball effect due to their parabolic reflectors. Some of the components inside may be made in China, but I wouldn't bet on it, and I don't feel like taking one apart and looking inside, as it will probably void my warranty.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit they are expensive compared to the cheap BB lights and not so expensive compared to the Radions or Orpheks. I just like the Mitra's for the way they grow corals in my system, how easy they are to program , and the coverage area, and no disco ball effect due to their parabolic reflectors. Some of the components inside may be made in China, but I wouldn't bet on it, and I don't feel like taking one apart and looking inside, as it will probably void my warranty.

No, please don't take it apart! LOL!

Although I would love to get a look under the hood of one.

:)

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are and they are also a very good light.

They may be assembled here but I have seen inside of one. The parts are made overseas.

No one is saying they aren't good quality. As a matter of fact, I am saying just being made in China doesn't make them lower quality. That was the whole point of my statement. People use made in China to say it's junk when that is a false statement.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would to, but until there is problem and after the warranty runs out I will not touch it.

I agree. It's one thing for me to crack open a sub $100 light. Another thing entirely for yours. BTW, if I were to buy an expensive light, after seeing them in person on Brew12's 187, I would get the Mitras. They are just plain slick if you ask me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 25 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back