The real Black Box light study

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will admit they are expensive compared to the cheap BB lights and not so expensive compared to the Radions or Orpheks. I just like the Mitra's for the way they grow corals in my system, how easy they are to program , and the coverage area, and no disco ball effect due to their parabolic reflectors. Some of the components inside may be made in China, but I wouldn't bet on it, and I don't feel like taking one apart and looking inside, as it will probably void my warranty.

I’m with you Jay. I have 5 GHL Mitras over my DT. About to move to 7 since I got some on sale in the FS forum. I have had awesome success with them so far. Really like them, but the program interface is very dated.

Jay Norris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with you Jay. I have 5 GHL Mitras over my DT. About to move to 7 since I got some on sale in the FS forum. I have had awesome success with them so far. Really like them, but the program interface is very dated.
Are they still on sale, as I will be getting a bigger tank in the near future?

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rooneski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to do the galaxy hydro / doleadro 165 wifi ? I can’t find the photos of the mars aqua or viparspectra would you mind putting them up again please. Thanks and love the study.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what will really make your head spin about the lights is none of them have been modded.

There are several of these you can mod and get better performance and more even coverage out of with minimal loss of power.

I have now seen a Radeon Gen3 pro with and without a DIY diffusor right next to a viparspectra that has had the lenses removed and a sheet of photo diffuser put on with magnets. Honestly, if it weren't for the viparspectra being brighter and having a wider coverage, I couldn't tell the difference.

I wish the pics I took turned out. I really, really stink at it. I keep saying I am going to get a good camera...

Anyway, the guy who had this setup has ordered a second viparspectra and is going to take the Radeon off. I asked would he sell it and he said no that he is going to use it on a nano. Tried to get him to join the group but he refuses any online groups or social media. His tank is really pretty.

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what will really make your head spin about the lights is none of them have been modded.

There are several of these you can mod and get better performance and more even coverage out of with minimal loss of power.

I have now seen a Radeon Gen3 pro with and without a DIY diffusor right next to a viparspectra that has had the lenses removed and a sheet of photo diffuser put on with magnets. Honestly, if it weren't for the viparspectra being brighter and having a wider coverage, I couldn't tell the difference.

I wish the pics I took turned out. I really, really stink at it. I keep saying I am going to get a good camera...

Anyway, the guy who had this setup has ordered a second viparspectra and is going to take the Radeon off. I asked would he sell it and he said no that he is going to use it on a nano. Tried to get him to join the group but he refuses any online groups or social media. His tank is really pretty.

Interesting info, thanks for sharing. Do you know which difuser he used on ViparSpectra unit? Wondering what PAR reading are like with all the lenses off and diffuser, as from what I read, PAR went down quite a bit when lenses were taken off these units.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hot spots go down. PAR evens out. I am sure overall averages go down a bit, but when you have hot spots of over 500 PAR you can afford it to go down.

I am not sure what diffuser he was using. I just went to get a frag when I was referred by a buddy of mine. The guy was pretty grumpy and I didn't want to wear out the very small welcome I was given. ;)

I will ask my buddy to find out. Apparently the guy tolerates him more. LOL!

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, the diffusor material was the same on both fixtures, he did say that much. From best I could tell there was about a half inch gap on the VS light between the plexiglass and the diffuser material.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back