OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Update…

I got a smol shipment in from @TopShelfAquatics today!

Two different caulestrea:

IMG_8967.jpeg

And some Pom Pom gracilaria to fire up my refugium!

I added some rotifers and amphipods to the refugium.

Also my Molly Miller blenny has been getting more courageous. Or hungry lol

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update…

I got a smol shipment in from @TopShelfAquatics today!

Two different caulestrea:

IMG_8967.jpeg

And some Pom Pom gracilaria to fire up my refugium!

I added some rotifers and amphipods to the refugium.

Also my Molly Miller blenny has been getting more courageous. Or hungry lol

Are those the kryptonite variety??? Drools

Hoe does the gracilaria compare to chaeto for nutrient export in a fug? What light are you using in your fuge? A 12" blade?

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Are those the kryptonite variety??? Drools

Hoe does the gracilaria compare to chaeto for nutrient export in a fug? What light are you using in your fuge? A 12" blade?

Kryptonite from TSA yes. Also a Candy Stripe. I'm pretty sure the Kryptonite is just the basic green though isn't it?

TBD about the gracilaria. I might have added a bit too much to start with but I'm only starting with a 6 hour photo period so we'll see!

I've got the AI Blade Refugium light.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kryptonite from TSA yes. Also a Candy Stripe. I'm pretty sure the Kryptonite is just the basic green though isn't it?

TBD about the gracilaria. I might have added a bit too much to start with but I'm only starting with a 6 hour photo period so we'll see!

I've got the AI Blade Refugium light.
Yeah, they are just a bright green variant. Super colorful, especially under blues! I had a decent colony going in my biocube years ago, but lost it. They are super expensive around here, so I haven't been able to replace it.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, they are just a bright green variant. Super colorful, especially under blues! I had a decent colony going in my biocube years ago, but lost it. They are super expensive around here, so I haven't been able to replace it.

$20 on sale for the 2-head frag! :squinting-face-with-tongue:

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Back to back updates!

I was in my LFS today and they got in a group of anthias. They still owed me 2 so I took 2 females home, did formalin and methylene blue dips, and introduced them. They're getting along nicely so far, and already eating.

On quarantine.... I know. I'm gambling. I truly hate it, but I simply don't have the room like I did in my old house. No basement, the garage is too cold, and there's NO room in the house. It's just not an option. My LFS does keep their system at 2 ppm copper, though. Plus I'm running UV. I'm hoping I never have to deal with the consequences of that but only time will tell.

I also saw 2 corals I couldn't leave without. I brought back a micromussa lordhowensis and a fimbriaphyllia (hammer). $35 each! I haven't seen a hammer for less than $60 lately, and those are all green or splatter green. This one looks to be a purply color (still pretty small though). It hasn't opened back up since I dipped and introduced it but I'll post a photo anyway... Please don't judge my glue job lol

IMG_9009.jpeg

IMG_9008.jpeg

On a sad note, my convict tang is NOT doing well. He was getting bullied by my Tomini tang early on and has stayed hidden mostly. He started coming out yesterday and today, and I assumed he was starting to settle in. But I noticed one of his eyes was bulging and cloudy. And I don't think he's eaten really since he was introduced. He's super skinny :crying-face:

The most likely cause is an injury since it's just one eye, and no other fish are showing signs of issues. Add stress to the mix. He's starting to get pretty sluggish and still not eating. I'm not sure he's going to make it. I did a freshwater bath (no signs of flukes), followed by a formalin bath and methylene blue bath today. We'll see, but I'm not hopeful :(

tempImagezv52NQ.png

IMG_9011.jpeg

Last edited:

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back to back updates!

I was in my LFS today and they got in a group of anthias. They still owed me 2 so I took 2 females home, did formalin and methylene blue dips, and introduced them. They're getting along nicely so far, and already eating.

On quarantine.... I know. I'm gambling. I truly hate it, but I simply don't have the room like I did in my old house. No basement, the garage is too cold, and there's NO room in the house. It's just not an option. My LFS does keep their system at 2 ppm copper, though. Plus I'm running UV. I'm hoping I never have to deal with the consequences of that but only time will tell.

I also saw 2 corals I couldn't leave without. I brought back a micromussa lordhowensis and a fimbriaphyllia (hammer). $35 each! I haven't seen a hammer for less than $60 lately, and those are all green or splatter green. This one looks to be a purply color (still pretty small though). It hasn't opened back up since I dipped and introduced it but I'll post a photo anyway... Please don't judge my glue job lol

IMG_9009.jpeg

IMG_9008.jpeg

On a sad note, my convict tang is NOT doing well. He was getting bullied by my Tomini tang early on and has stayed hidden mostly. He started coming out yesterday and today, and I assumed he was starting to settle in. But I noticed one of his eyes was bulging and cloudy. And I don't think he's eaten really since he was introduced. He's super skinny :crying-face:

The most likely cause is an injury since it's just one eye, and no other fish are showing signs of issues. Add stress to the mix. He's starting to get pretty sluggish and still not eating. I'm not sure he's going to make it. I did a freshwater bath (no signs of flukes), followed by a formalin bath and methylene blue bath today. We'll see, but I'm not hopeful :(

tempImagezv52NQ.png

IMG_9011.jpeg

O no so sorry to hear, sending ya positive vibes!

On a positive note beautiful corals

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I coped by finally installing my under cabinet lighting. It’s door-activated which is pretty cool.

IMG_9017.jpeg

But it also revealed just how dirty my under-cabinet and sump had gotten!

I still have my MP10 from my old tank so I put it in the first chamber after my filter roller, where the kalk drips into. I have it set to pulse overnight to help disperse the kalk and keep detritus from settling. I also have a cheap amazon wave maker in the refugium to keep the gracilaria spinning :)

I should probably sell the MP10 and buy another cheap wave maker to use there instead. That would give me a couple hundred dollars to spend on some more corals :squinting-face-with-tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welp. More bad news.

My male anthias died this morning. He had been acting lethargic the last few days.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

I ordered an AquaBiomics TankDNA test to see what I might be dealing with.

Wish me luck :confused-face:

ralquist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang it, sending you all the positive vibes I have today sir. Hopefully that test will give you some valuable insight.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welp. More bad news.

My male anthias died this morning. He had been acting lethargic the last few days.

I don't have a good feeling about this.

I ordered an AquaBiomics TankDNA test to see what I might be dealing with.

Wish me luck :confused-face:
Good luck! Hopefully it isn't anything too crazy!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm going to start a whole-tank PraziPro treatment this afternoon in case it's "just" flukes.

I already have UV running at the proper flow for parasites, so it seems unlikely it's Ick. Plus I didn't see any specks on the anthias (the convict tang is white, so really difficult to say).

Velvet/Brook... I didn't notice any apparent "sloughing" or "dusty" appearance on their skin, however once again with the Convict it would be hard to identify.

Maybe flukes? Both of the fish were new in the last couple of weeks. I didn't see anything in the freshwater bath on either fish, however if it's one of the smaller varieties of flukes, they wouldn't have been visible coming off in the bath.

Anyway, the AquaBiomics test should rule out all of those.

Crossing my fingers it's just stress and bullying but who the f knows at this point.

I hesitate to ask for advice in the "My fish is sick" forum because I really don't want to deal with all the "you should have quarantined" posts :rolleyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back