The "She Said Yes!" 120 Gallon Build

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also no sores noticed so I don't have any reason to suspect Uronema
The more and more I think about it, I might not shut down my Biocube when the 60 is up and running. I might just strip it down and use it as a QT tank. Don't know that I will medicate it (Haven't done enough research to decide), but definitely might just put all new livestock in it for 30 days observation before moving them to the 60 Cube....

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The more and more I think about it, I might not shut down my Biocube when the 60 is up and running. I might just strip it down and use it as a QT tank. Don't know that I will medicate it (Haven't done enough research to decide), but definitely might just put all new livestock in it for 30 days observation before moving them to the 60 Cube....

Observational quarantine is a great idea if you can’t do medicated (or just don’t want to). That’s what I started out doing.

I *MIGHT* be able to set up a 5 or 10 gallon QT tank and do the tank transfer method Humble Fish writes about for future additions. It’s not so bad and only takes 2 weeks.

I am REALLY going to be looking forward to these AquaBiomics test results. Beats the hell out of diagnosing via clinical (symptom) clues or a microscope.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unrelated…

I fastened my fuge light to the sump with nylon bolts today. It’s a much cleaner look than the clamps I had been using, and guarantees my expensive light won’t fall into the sump lol

IMG_9029.jpeg

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I went to my LFS to chat about my fish issues (since my convict and anthia died, my female clown and Bangaii are starting to act strange). They said it doesn’t seem/act like ick, velvet or brook, and isn’t really acting bacterial either. I have already dosed PraziPro. They suggested I try another anti-parasite med. So I tried both Fritz PraCleanse (metronidazole and praziqiental) and Expel-P (levamisole).

I’m starting to regret that decision.

I dosed them both yesterday (which isn’t supposed to be an issue).

At 0500 this morning when I got up for work, I got my flashlight to check out the night life. My water was getting cloudy. When I opened Fusion, my Apex pH probe was reading 7.74…… down from 8.04 last night. And that’s WITH my kalk running at night :oops:

I had turned my UV off for the Prazi, then back off after a few days. Then off again when I dosed the Fritz meds (as instructed).

All of this less than a week before I leave for a 3-week vacation overseas :rolleyes:

My AquaBiomics test is out for delivery today. Hopefully I’ll have some solid answers soon.

In other news, with my flashlight I also saw some tiny serpent stars of some kind! I counted 3…

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well things *seem* to be improving. The water quality is back to normal, although my nutrients had dropped CONSIDERABLY. Nitrate dropped from 6 to 0.1 and phos dropped from 0.21 to 0.06. I have no idea why. Maybe my fuge kicked into high gear? The only change I made between those readings was I adjusted the fuge light from 6 hrs to 8 hrs. That plus the addition of the anti-parasitic meds.

I also replaced my filter roll on my ClariSea fleece roller with a Hmahli brand roll. Same width, but they’re longer and more porous, so they should last quite a bit longer. Cheaper per foot, too. I did have to improvise for the roll mount through lol

IMG_9082.jpeg
IMG_9083.jpeg
IMG_9084.jpeg

I also received the replacement support brackets for my lid. They made a HUGE difference:

IMG_9085.jpeg

My fish all seem to be doing ok so far. But my branching cyphastrea is about to kick the bucket though. He’s started to bleach. I assume it’s from all the nutrient swings.

IMG_9086.jpeg

Fortunately my remaining corals all seem ok.

My neighbor will be watching my tank and doing some basic testing for me while I’m gone. He’s not a reefer but picked up the Hanna checkers pretty quickly. Having to rely on a buddy to watch my tank also lit a fire under my butt to get my power outage process streamlined. I have 2 power strips I secured to the side of the controller panel, and ordered short extension cords to use to connect the critical components to it. Then I used color coded stickers to indicate what goes where. After that, all he has to do is plug the power strips in to my generator!

IMG_9073.jpeg

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well things *seem* to be improving. The water quality is back to normal, although my nutrients had dropped CONSIDERABLY. Nitrate dropped from 6 to 0.1 and phos dropped from 0.21 to 0.06. I have no idea why. Maybe my fuge kicked into high gear? The only change I made between those readings was I adjusted the fuge light from 6 hrs to 8 hrs. That plus the addition of the anti-parasitic meds.

I also replaced my filter roll on my ClariSea fleece roller with a Hmahli brand roll. Same width, but they’re longer and more porous, so they should last quite a bit longer. Cheaper per foot, too. I did have to improvise for the roll mount through lol

IMG_9082.jpeg
IMG_9083.jpeg
IMG_9084.jpeg

I also received the replacement support brackets for my lid. They made a HUGE difference:

IMG_9085.jpeg

My fish all seem to be doing ok so far. But my branching cyphastrea is about to kick the bucket though. He’s started to bleach. I assume it’s from all the nutrient swings.

IMG_9086.jpeg

Fortunately my remaining corals all seem ok.

My neighbor will be watching my tank and doing some basic testing for me while I’m gone. He’s not a reefer but picked up the Hanna checkers pretty quickly. Having to rely on a buddy to watch my tank also lit a fire under my butt to get my power outage process streamlined. I have 2 power strips I secured to the side of the controller panel, and ordered short extension cords to use to connect the critical components to it. Then I used color coded stickers to indicate what goes where. After that, all he has to do is plug the power strips in to my generator!

IMG_9073.jpeg
I dig it! I wish I had room for a control cabinet next to my cube. I mentioned the idea to my wife, and she was definitely not on board.. lol

I have learned alot from this cube build...I love the look and dimension of cubes. But man, they suck when it comes to equipment space underneath!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I dig it! I wish I had room for a control cabinet next to my cube. I mentioned the idea to my wife, and she was definitely not on board.. lol

I have learned alot from this cube build...I love the look and dimension of cubes. But man, they suck when it comes to equipment space underneath!

I don’t know how I would manage it all with JUST the space under my tank. The controller board in the adjoining room is a LIFESAVER

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two updates…

My mixing station is nearly finished! I just have a little bit of plumbing left to do. I found a local(ish) place to source containers. These are 65 gallons each, and cost $250 apiece :loudly-crying-face:

I had originally installed 44 gallon Brute cans but the Uniseal bulkheads I used leaked BAD.

IMG_8152.jpeg

I also designed some replacement hanger brackets for the ClariSea filter roller. I had to cut out the built-in filter sock holders in the sump to fit the roller. But since I couldn’t get the entire piece out, the original roller hangers got caught up on what was left.

IMG_7633.jpeg

Original/replacement side-by-side. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out!

IMG_8172.jpeg

Also….. I ordered my TBS Gulf of Mexico live sand! It scheduled to be delivered on Monday the 11th. Nine days!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes::beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
This is a sweet build!

I didn't look through all of the posts, but was hoping you could help with a few questions.

1. Can you please explain how this mixing station works? I am so confused by them with the pumps and valves. My current set up is a Brute with RO on top and then the salt mixing brute underneath. I am also having the leaking issue.
2. That controller cabinet is awesome! How did you build that?

Thank you!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This is a sweet build!

I didn't look through all of the posts, but was hoping you could help with a few questions.

1. Can you please explain how this mixing station works? I am so confused by them with the pumps and valves. My current set up is a Brute with RO on top and then the salt mixing brute underneath. I am also having the leaking issue.
2. That controller cabinet is awesome! How did you build that?

Thank you!

Thanks Ian. It’s been a fun build!

The mixing station is pretty straightforward. Freshwater on the left, sea water on the right. Valves at the bottom direct either fresh or saltwater to the pump, which then sends it up into the top of the saltwater bin. The pump keeps the saltwater circulating most of the time but if I need to mix new water I switch the valves to send freshwater into the saltwater bin, then add salt. I have a small off-shoot that sends water through a sediment filter for when I mix fresh salt. It keeps the brown residue from collecting in my bin.

As for the controller cabinet, well, that’s a long story lol. Most of the details are posted earlier here :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ian. It’s been a fun build!

The mixing station is pretty straightforward. Freshwater on the left, sea water on the right. Valves at the bottom direct either fresh or saltwater to the pump, which then sends it up into the top of the saltwater bin. The pump keeps the saltwater circulating most of the time but if I need to mix new water I switch the valves to send freshwater into the saltwater bin, then add salt. I have a small off-shoot that sends water through a sediment filter for when I mix fresh salt. It keeps the brown residue from collecting in my bin.

As for the controller cabinet, well, that’s a long story lol. Most of the details are posted earlier here :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Thanks for explaining that. Found the cabinet build. Looks so good. I wish I would have built/set everything up before getting the tank running.

DS204

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small off-shoot that sends water through a sediment filter for when I mix fresh salt. It keeps the brown residue from collecting in my bin.
Hey there, am curious about how you're utilizing the sediment filter with your mixing station. Could you go into a bit more detail about this part of your mixing station? I like the idea of how you're using it to minimize the build-up of brown residue in your salt bin and I'm interested in doing something similar, so I'm curious about how you did this part. Thanks!

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey there, am curious about how you're utilizing the sediment filter with your mixing station. Could you go into a bit more detail about this part of your mixing station? I like the idea of how you're using it to minimize the build-up of brown residue in your salt bin and I'm interested in doing something similar, so I'm curious about how you did this part. Thanks!

Yeah sure thing.

The pump outlet runs up, and then into the mixing bin. But before it goes into the mixing bin I have a smaller offshoot (with a valve) that runs to the sediment filter, then from there into the mixing bin. There’s a valve on the main line above the offshoot to put some back pressure on the T so water is forced through the filter.

Does that make sense? When I’m hope in a couple of weeks I’ll take some better photos of that part.

OP
OP
dangles

dangles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hope your having a awesome stress free vacation sir!
Drunk Spring Break GIF

Haven't been getting updates, caught up now!

Well….

My tank sitter messaged me last night that the salinity was 31 ppt and there was algae all over the tank. So I’d say it’s going well lol

It turns out he misread the hygrometer and it’s 33. But I had him add a little salt anyway. I turned off the AWC remotely. I suspect more water is being removed than added, and my ATO is making up the difference.

He also reported my nitrates are zero and my phosphate is 0.23 :rolleyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back