The Skimmate Podcast

U

User1

View Badges
Aiptasia issue here too. Picked up a new CBB a couple weeks ago. Can already see a big reduction in the amount of small ones. Need to get in there and get rid of the big ones and then let the CBB eliminate what pops up after that

Yeah - mine are pretty large and spreading. I see some in my sump and overflow. I would love a CBB but I have two maxima clams that are young and not sure how they would do. I'd like to give the clams more of a chance since they are dealing with a newbie clam owner. Photo is blue because I can't take good photos but I tried to box in the larger pests :)
20191112_092657.jpg

PS - BA traffic is bad. I think Sacramento's is just as bad. I was commuting to Moffet for some face to face meetings. I asked my boss to just put me up for the week to save my sanity. She said no. Didn't want to bill the client 450/night for lodging. Glad that project is over :D

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - mine are pretty large and spreading. I see some in my sump and overflow. I would love a CBB but I have two maxima clams that are young and not sure how they would do. I'd like to give the clams more of a chance since they are dealing with a newbie clam owner. Photo is blue because I can't take good photos but I tried to box in the larger pests :)
20191112_092657.jpg

Let me know if what we say is at all helpful. Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have listened to all of the episodes and this is definitely a podcast worth listening to!!! Whether I am laughing or shaking my head, I always learn something! ;Bookworm

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have listened to all of the episodes and this is definitely a podcast worth listening to!!! Whether I am laughing or shaking my head, I always learn something! ;Bookworm
Thanks! Exactly what I am going for! :)

U

User1

View Badges
Few things I caught one of which I probably can't post here :)

I enjoyed the podcast so thank you both for your time. As far as sponsorship goes I have no suggestions. Trying to do what you do won't have the same vibe or feeding off one another if you try it via video chat or skype sort of thing. Maybe a T-shirt with a skeptical jack@ss logo for sale :) I'll throw down for one...

First point - well said on the compelling evidence talk. I see people get upset when we say it is an opinion, personal testimony / anecdotal evidence. You hit the nail on the head when you said we don't need peer reviewed papers. Just want some evidence to support what is said or suggested.

I had a question on the return pump / skimmer bit. You didn't go into a lot of details as it was more of a transition I believe but you said something about a return pump, flow, and the skimmer. I'm thinking it is return rate should be about the same/equal to the flow through the skimmer? So basically the skimmer is doing work to keep up with the flow through the sump??? Not sure but I'm guessing there is a balance here and turn over in the tank is managed by power heads or other means.

Aiptasia:

Kalk is physical barrier for aiptasia - makes sense. I always thought this but wasn't sure. So similar to say bubble algae you pop it the spores spread. Similar concept here. I've not used kalk paste but hear it works very well.

Peppermint shrimp as you said get mixed up with the camelback I think it is. Some say it is the pointed tail that the peppermints have vs the other. I always pay attention the the back or tail area and a more pronounced hump on the camelbacks. But I think you said it the best - peppermints are pretty dang destructive.

Berghia are too expensive. I'm sure they work but gee, they are a crap ton expensive and don't think it is worthwhile. Not a option for me as I'd have to raid my daughters college fund and she would be a bit PO'd at me :)

My Matted filefish - which is what I'm going to try - eats pellet, mysis, and the aiptasia I've placed in. Not sure what it will do in my display but I believe I can catch it at night if so. I've had luck with them before so will try again plus it is an interesting fish.

In general - well worth the whole podcast - what are we has hobbyist willing to put in / effort to fix. There is no quick easy pill to toss in and have it magically fix everything. Point I thought was perfect:

Scorched earth / collateral damage - Acceptable loss or damage to tank inhabitants remove the pest at the moment. What are we, as hobbyists, willing to accept. How fast does it grow back or effort to mitigate risk, loss, replace, etc.

Great podcast. Keep up the great work.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love it. Thanks!
We really don't know what to think about sponsorship.Letting it grow organically. It is fun to joke about though! Swag and Patreon seem like good ideas.
Yes on the skimmer stuff - the amount of flow through the sump should (should is a weird word for me because there are always reasons to do things differently) be tuned to the capacity of the filter, whatever that is, in this case a skimmer. If the skimmer can process 500g/h, running more that that allows for more unprocessed water. If the point is to process all the water efficiently, running more than 500 makes the filter less efficient because it cannot keep up. Running less than the capacity of the skimmer makes some sense too - unless your tank drains directly into the skimmer.

Again, thanks so much

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to give this podcast a bump, just found it last week and am listening to the latest episode now. It's a great balance of knowledge and insight into more than just reef keeping. Love it. Oh... and @Terence says stuff, too. :p

I do have a quick question about using LC directly into the skimmer. How effectively does the skimmer remove it? Do you have to dose it very slow or would dumping in 5ml once a day work, too?

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to give this podcast a bump, just found it last week and am listening to the latest episode now. It's a great balance of knowledge and insight into more than just reef keeping. Love it. Oh... and @Terence says stuff, too. :p

Thanks so much!

I do have a quick question about using LC directly into the skimmer. How effectively does the skimmer remove it? Do you have to dose it very slow or would dumping in 5ml once a day work, too?
Pretty great. I do a concentration of 10ml/l and dose 30ml of that over the course of the day. I don't think a lump dose is an effective way to do this and prefer a steady dose - more of a general than a punch because the LC punches can come with bounce back. Also, the lower the amount, the less likely it will plate out onto equipment. I am hoping that eventually I will get ahead of PO4 and anything sequestered will be sucked out.

BeMoto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loving the show guys! Keep them coming. Its refreshing hearing all of the ups and downs of your tanks. Giving this hobby a second try and enjoy hearing even the smallest advice.

Listened to all the show twice now.

Flatlandreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the podcast, thanks for putting it together! I would like to hear about your expierence with sun coral(NPS) in your tank Rich. Looks like you have several in your SPS dominate tank and they really make things pop. How much special care do you give the NPS and do they take a lot of extra effort to keep alive?

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I enjoy the podcast, thanks for putting it together! I would like to hear about your expierence with sun coral(NPS) in your tank Rich. Looks like you have several in your SPS dominate tank and they really make things pop. How much special care do you give the NPS and do they take a lot of extra effort to keep alive?

Thanks so much for the kind words! That topic is on the list for the next time we record. Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the kind words! That topic is on the list for the next time we record. Thanks!
Speaking of content... I would love it if you would discuss the pro's and con's of 2 part (or Balling) dosing vs Calcium Reacotors.

Dosing over 250ml per day on my 187g mixed reef am seriously considering a calcium reactor but not happy about the potential pH hit.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back