The Skimmate Podcast

U

User1

View Badges
New Episode! Took a bit to get it out, but we got it now.

EPISODE 12 - SIP Reefing

Shelter in Place tank updates, impending coral spawn, COVID and the hobby/industry, new products that make us squint, and Rich’s favorite piece of equipment. Sorry for the off-balance sound. We fixed it in the first 7-minutes, but just wanted to get this out as fast as possible - if anyone would like to do the rest, have at it, let us know, and we would be super-grateful! :)
DONATE!
Skimmate Podcast Patreon - https://www.patreon.com/skimmate
TheRichRoss.com - https://therichross.com/
Neptune Systems - https://www.neptunesystems.com/
Real Reef - https://realreefrock.com/
Piscine Energetics - https://www.mysis.com/
RTN X - https://www.triton-reagents.de/en/treatments/rtn-x
Flatworm Stop - https://www.korallen-zucht.de/en/Salt-Water-Aquarium-Care/Problem-solving/Flatworm-Stop.html
Marineland Magnum Polishing Internal Filter - http://www.marineland.com/products/...agnum-polishing-internal-canister-filter.aspx
http://www.marineland.com/products/...agnum-polishing-internal-canister-filter.aspx

Great episode. I originally started it on the podcast but switched over to the video. I have to say the small segment on should you do the pod cast or not due to the pandemic was good. Continue what you are doing because it is what the world needs. WORLD may be a bit big but you get the point. We all SIP differently but small things like this help keep sanity in the house and family. Humor. Since you a lot of knowledge in the hobby, profession, and a dang good sense of humor that works well in video and pod cast why not share it? So keep it up.

Sponsor bit was also funny because I saw the blue tape again and this time you had writing on it. Had to freeze the video a few times to catch it before you two went on that talk :D

Spares are important. I run two return pumps and make sure my skimmer pump can also be swapped to return should something happen. Also spare energy bar. I also have my old Reef Angel should I need to swap controllers for some reason.

Urchin talk was good. Mind if I ask what you use them for? I meet the lad who used to dive and collect urchins out at the Farrallons. His talk was interesting especially when discussing the local land lord there (great white shark which pretty much stopped all the dive charters out there).

Sponsor talk and jokes made me laugh. I'm sure there will be a baby boom as a by product of this pandemic :). Oddly enough I'd bet there will also be an increase in divorce rates (spending more time together pro and cons :) )

RTN - good discussion. Anecdotal is very useful if it is repeatable. If I caught what you said correctly - that was well put. Also the part about the hobby size and product testing.

Loved the bit when talking about the flat worm stop product. The squinting eye / rock look :D. I've never run into a flatworm problem yet but always figured a couple wrasses would help. At least they are part of my utility / worker fish.

You spoke on something briefly during the internal filter segment that made a lot of sense. Flow through the sump and skimmer efficiency. Efficiency is the wrong word I guess. What I think you said is that too much flow through the sump means the skimmer has less time to do its job. Instead lower the flow and let the power heads do their work inside the tank. Makes sense. I mean it makes A LOT OF SENSE. So much that I'm now looking to see what I can do to slow mine down. My trouble is that I'm not a power head fan and instead use dual returns with 1" sea swirls with random flow nozzles. I have a single gryre. I get the flow patterns and water movement with no issues. But if I wanted to slow things down I'd have to make some changes - minor, doable, but would need to think on this. I like the idea, makes a lot of sense. Maybe add it to a future talking point.

Please talk me out of getting a Heniochus Butterflyfish. I'm teasing. No, not really. Actually my 210 is too small for them but I like how active they are. I do not have many fish at the moment in my display but those that are there are no where near that active when I'm in the room. I will have to find something that is a bit more display friendly and active.

In any case another great job. Had a few laughs. Like the bit on the sump flow. Not pushing products. Talking about products. What you like, dislike, and why - not bashing. At the end of the day straight up, no nonsense, hobby talk. Keep up the great work.

Stay safe.

Edit 1: I thought that there is a backup option in the Apex. You have to login to the head unit on the local network. Not via Fusion portal. Then go to the MISC icon, and hit the DISK looking icon up top that says load/save.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been meaning to make time to reply for awhile! I appreciate your addressing my CaRx question, although the timing was a little late for due to this virus issue...
Eventually, I was adding over 450ml of each 2 part per day and at that point it forced my hand to a CaRx. I was mixing almost 2 pounds of powdered reagent a week. Pretty crazy.
I did see a significant drop in my pH. It seems to be running around 0.2 lower than doing 2-part alone. I suspect this is a combination of the acidity from the CaRx and no longer getting a boost from the alkalinity component. Regardless, my SPS growth seems to have been completely unaffected by the lower pH.

I still have some questions about exactly what trace elements are going to be added by a CaRx. I am going to get those answers here in the next few months once our company lab gets back to normal. I've got coral skeletons that I am keeping from a few different SPS and a sample of my CaRx media. A lab tech has offered to put them under an SEM to determine their chemical composition for me.

I'll make sure I send you the results when I get them before making them public. I think that would be an interesting topic for you on a future podcast!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Episode 13 - I don’t wanna fight with anyone anymore
A reef break from civil unrest and the ‘rona. Tank updates. Coral spawn updates. Flow. Listener questions. And, Influencers

Sea Spider - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmJ9v-utOGI
TheRichRoss.com - https://therichross.com/
Neptune Systems - https://www.neptunesystems.com/
Piscine Energetics - https://www.mysis.com/

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered the podcast... really like it so far. A great mix of ‘old school’ reefing logic And current technology!
On the last podcast you had u I say you some understandably less than positive things to say about some of the influencers. However, outside of one or two brief mentions didn’t really talk about positive influencers. I would be curious to hear you talk about the influential types you think are great for the hobby.
Would also be curious to hear your thoughts on positive and negative vendors... I know these might not be easy to talk about...
Thanks!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered the podcast... really like it so far. A great mix of ‘old school’ reefing logic And current technology!
On the last podcast you had u I say you some understandably less than positive things to say about some of the influencers. However, outside of one or two brief mentions didn’t really talk about positive influencers. I would be curious to hear you talk about the influential types you think are great for the hobby.
Would also be curious to hear your thoughts on positive and negative vendors... I know these might not be easy to talk about...
Thanks!
Thanks for listening and for commenting!
Who do you think are positive 'influencers' in the context of youtube?

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for listening and for commenting!
Who do you think are positive 'influencers' in the context of youtube?
That's a good question. Part of the reason I asked it because don't really know of any who regularly produce content... good or bad.
Obviously BRS is very influential but don't necessarily fit into the discussion. Jake Adams is someone I would consider a positive influence. I hadn't looked into Melev in a while and decided to search for videos. Looks like he still makes some stuff, I'll have to check it out.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good question. Part of the reason I asked it because don't really know of any who regularly produce content... good or bad.
Obviously BRS is very influential but don't necessarily fit into the discussion. Jake Adams is someone I would consider a positive influence. I hadn't looked into Melev in a while and decided to search for videos. Looks like he still makes some stuff, I'll have to check it out.
I don't really have an opinion. The youtube stuff generally doesn't work for me because from my taste there is often too much fluff vs information, and I find it hard to actually find the info I am interested in. I was going to say maybe it is just me, but I do watch videos for other hobbies and get a lot out of them. I have a couple ideas for vid series I keep threatening to do...maybe I should try em out

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't really have an opinion. The youtube stuff generally doesn't work for me because from my taste there is often too much fluff vs information, and I find it hard to actually find the info I am interested in. I was going to say maybe it is just me, but I do watch videos for other hobbies and get a lot out of them. I have a couple ideas for vid series I keep threatening to do...maybe I should try em out

would watch!

BenitaSolo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can agree with that. I don't really treat the youtubers as a source of information either. For me they are a time filler, maybe some inspiration, and a place where I can see some new equipment/corals/live tanks. Now to contradict myself, I can't count on both hands how many times I have watched the videos to relearn the relationships of alk/calc/PH. Not their ideal levels but how they interact and what the heck Alkalinity actually is. I know what to do any why but It's one of those things in the hobby I could never truly teach anyone why/how they all work. I know how to get from A to B but I don't how A actually gets to B. I am sure I am not alone on this. "well you see, alkalinity isn't actually an object. It's actually a measure of the waters capability to have a stable PH" From there it might as well be alien calculus...

I watch more youtube than I do TV.

Not hating but RNN never really did it for me. It seems like a perfectly fine and informative podcast, it's just not for me. I'll have to queue them up to see give them another listen!

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can agree with that. I don't really treat the youtubers as a source of information either. For me they are a time filler, maybe some inspiration, and a place where I can see some new equipment/corals/live tanks. Now to contradict myself, I can't count on both hands how many times I have watched the videos to relearn the relationships of alk/calc/PH. Not their ideal levels but how they interact and what the heck Alkalinity actually is. I know what to do any why but It's one of those things in the hobby I could never truly teach anyone why/how they all work. I know how to get from A to B but I don't how A actually gets to B. I am sure I am not alone on this. "well you see, alkalinity isn't actually an object. It's actually a measure of the waters capability to have a stable PH" From there it might as well be alien calculus...

I watch more youtube than I do TV.

Not hating but RNN never really did it for me. It seems like a perfectly fine and informative podcast, it's just not for me. I'll have to queue them up to see give them another listen!
Which videos did you watch about the alk/pH/Ca relationships? Thanks!

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't threaten me with a good time! I would love to see some videos from you if you ever get the time and energy. It is a lot of work though so I understand it can be quite an undertaking.

I watch a ton of YouTube, but I really don't much reef videos there. I am subscribed to several channels but few match the quality of content I see in my other more popular hobbies.

OP
OP
Thales

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't threaten me with a good time! I would love to see some videos from you if you ever get the time and energy. It is a lot of work though so I understand it can be quite an undertaking.

Thanks!

I watch a ton of YouTube, but I really don't much reef videos there. I am subscribed to several channels but few match the quality of content I see in my other more popular hobbies.

Thanks. Why do you think you watch fewer reef vids than other stuff and what other stuff do you watch?
I am trying to figure out the quality of the content of reefing compared to other things. I think it has to do with the idea that reefing is a long term project and a brain thing - both are hard to make vides about (not impossible, but hard). There seem to be fewer things to show in reefing, so you get stories instead of examples. In 3d printing or flying a drone, examples are easy. I could be lying and have only watched the basic how too's that are informative for me. What do you think?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Why do you think you watch fewer reef vids than other stuff and what other stuff do you watch?
I am trying to figure out the quality of the content of reefing compared to other things. I think it has to do with the idea that reefing is a long term project and a brain thing - both are hard to make vides about (not impossible, but hard). There seem to be fewer things to show in reefing, so you get stories instead of examples. In 3d printing or flying a drone, examples are easy. I could be lying and have only watched the basic how too's that are informative for me. What do you think?
The problem that I have with most reefing content is that it tends to be geared towards entry level reef keepers. I watched quite a lot when first getting into the hobby and learned a ton from it. Now I have a few years of experience and voraciously consuming information around the hobby I find there is very little content that is useful for me.

For content that I think is really good for the advanced or intermediate hobbyist, most if not all are longer format with highly experienced people. I absolutely adore the MACNA talks that BRS publishes each year. I have really appreciated the discussions with Mike Paletta and Sanjay Joshi put out by American Reef Channel. Melev's interview with Joe Yaiullo is an all time favorite of mine. On the podcasting side your's is fantastic, another good one which I wish went on longer was Larry DuPont's Reef Frenzy Radio, where he interviewed some of the big players in a variety of aspects around the hobby. I think it is difficult to provide this level of content as you say it's hard to show and often very nuanced, and often does not fit into a 10 minute clip designed to get views or be easy to consume.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The problem that I have with most reefing content is that it tends to be geared towards entry level reef keepers. I watched quite a lot when first getting into the hobby and learned a ton from it. Now I have a few years of experience and voraciously consuming information around the hobby I find there is very little content that is useful for me.

For content that I think is really good for the advanced or intermediate hobbyist, most if not all are longer format with highly experienced people. I absolutely adore the MACNA talks that BRS publishes each year. I have really appreciated the discussions with Mike Paletta and Sanjay Joshi put out by American Reef Channel. Melev's interview with Joe Yaiullo is an all time favorite of mine. On the podcasting side your's is fantastic, another good one which I wish went on longer was Larry DuPont's Reef Frenzy Radio, where he interviewed some of the big players in a variety of aspects around the hobby. I think it is difficult to provide this level of content as you say it's hard to show and often very nuanced, and often does not fit into a 10 minute clip designed to get views or be easy to consume.

I very much agree with @pcon about what I would like to see. There are a lot of beginner tips and general how-to videos, but for me I would love to see more topic specific videos. Melev's website and information was absolutely instrumental in helping me get into the hobby a decade ago, but I really don't have the patience for a live stream like is usually done now. I can handle podcasts where there is a dialog but I don't have the attention span for a single person monologuing in front of a camera for an hour for just general reef talk or Q&A.

My favorite type of video for this hobby is probably quick and direct while showing me something interesting that maybe your average reefer hasn't seen or appreciated. Bust out the microscope, show me something weird! I think someone who has bred cephalopods in their home could probably show me something off the beaten path! I think honestly anything that you're going to find interesting enough to explore and film would be right up my alley. I also agree with @BenitaSolo , if it's going to be a video about alkalinity and calcium it would be more interesting to explore the chemistry just a little bit more in-depth than usual. I am much more fascinated by the interaction between things like magnesium levels, alk and calcium rather than their ideal parameters. To that end chemistry wise, I would like to see more videos like Randy's articles on chemistry rather than just the table of ideal parameters.

U

User1

View Badges

The whole social media self content is a bit of a mess so I fully get the fluff vs information. There is also the whole 2 hours of rambling rather than just having a list of X to talk about and get right down to it. That is the sort of content I look for. I don't want to watch the gear head's 2 hour video on changing exhaust on the car. I just want some initial feedback, road blocks, pointers to resolve, and maybe a highlight reel. 15 or so minutes and done. Bob's your Uncle. I don't want the whole 2 or 3 hours of it at various speeds. Drives me nuts. No different if I'm watching someone turn a vase, pen, or some other wood working project.

Sort of like your podcast. It has a flow yet you both know how to keep the cadence and topics relevant without jumping all over the place. I'm pretty sure judging by the video interview thingy I watched last month you can pull it off. You do have the gift of speaking and a pretty wicked sense of humor and can navigate quickly with a one liner then back to topic. You do great.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back