The TOP 3 fish for your saltwater reef aquarium are...

Pick 3 types of fish that are in your TOP 3 Reef Aquarium Fish?

• Angelfish

Votes: 178 20.6%
  • Anthias

Votes: 136 15.7%
  • Basslets

Votes: 50 5.8%
  • Blennies

Votes: 167 19.3%
  • Butterfly Fish

Votes: 82 9.5%
  • Cardinalfish

Votes: 41 4.7%
  • Clownfish

Votes: 445 51.4%
  • Dartfish

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • Dottybacks

Votes: 15 1.7%
  • Dragonets

Votes: 111 12.8%
  • Foxface

Votes: 89 10.3%
  • Gobies

Votes: 157 18.1%
  • Hawkfish

Votes: 32 3.7%
  • Jawfish

Votes: 18 2.1%
  • Tangs

Votes: 537 62.0%
  • Wrasse

Votes: 392 45.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 38 4.4%

• Total voters

SeaMaiden92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a. Hagfish (Myxini) - It has a slime that it expels in a defense mechanism. I guess I'd prefer not to channel Peter Venkman and have to say, "He slimed me!" The cleanup would not be pretty either. :)

b. Angler fish (Linophrynidae) - I prefer not to have a carnivorous fish with large teeth that can reach 3 feet in length. Beyond preservation of my limbs that may enter the tank, if I wanted a "night light" in the tank, I'd get luminous jelly fish or shrimp.

c. Monkfish (Lophius) - Another fish that grows from 3-5 feet; however, it has the major negative of being able to swallow fish its own size or slightly bigger due to an extensible stomach. Strangely enough, I prefer fish that do not consume the rest of the tank population. The shape may enable it to hug the bottom and vacuum up my friends and tank budget.

Luckily, there are plenty of beauty challenged fish that are size appropriate, non-slimming, and will not eat your other inhabitants. You should find a "cute" one among them.

Yours in no fish shaming,
Jim
Hahaha yeah they don't sound like much fun! There are some dwarf anglers that would fit in my tank, but they wouldn't be compatible with my current fish. I really want to find a cute "ugly" fish eventually though.

Reef_prop88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Blue Hippo Tang - Ever since I was a kid I always thought this was one of the coolest looking fish with its dark blue coloration and it's also really cool to see them constantly grazing on the rock.

2) Lightening Maroon Clownfish - Mainly for their color and the fact that a clownfish in their Anemone is one of the coolest things you can have in a tank.

3) Green Chromis - Even though I already picked a clownfish which is technically in the damsel family I'm gonna go with the Green Chromis mainly because I enjoy their peaceful nature and the fact they like to school. The way the lights hit them in a properly lit reef tank gives them great coloration also in my opinion.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea maiden said
I really want to find a cute "ugly" fish eventually though.

I used to have a Starry blenny, it is cute, but definitively not beautiful. I had it about 3 years, but returned to the store, because I wanted to grow macroalgae, and it would eat it.

My 3 favorite are difficult to choose. I voted for clown, foxface and wrasse, I have a six line.
But my elfli angel and hyppo tank are tied in a very close 4th place.

But my wish fish though would be
Achiles Tang, any butterfly and seahorses.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta go with these

Angelfish: tie between bandit and scribbled

Tang: Achilles white cheek hybrid

Wrasse: lineatus wrasse

SeaMaiden92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sea maiden said
I really want to find a cute "ugly" fish eventually though.

I used to have a Starry blenny, it is cute, but definitively not beautiful. I had it about 3 years, but returned to the store, because I wanted to grow macroalgae, and it would eat it.

My 3 favorite are difficult to choose. I voted for clown, foxface and wrasse, I have a six line.
But my elfli angel and hyppo tank are tied in a very close 4th place.

But my wish fish though would be
Achiles Tang, any butterfly and seahorses.
Starry blennies are really cute, but I don't know if would it would be compatible with the two spot blenny I already have.

The Fry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Maroon clownfish - When I went to get my bottled bac yesterday, I fell in love with these guys even more. The female was a full grown 6 incher! And the personality these guys have...... I used to wonder if saltwater had a replacement of oscars (till yesterday were my fav fish, and i kept 4 of em for 8 years before a power shortage wiped them :(), turns out, maroon clowns are the saltwater oscars. Right now, Im half considering stopping my cycling 13.5 gal and getting a 30 gal JUST for a pair of maroons. The gold nugget has to be my fav variety. The white stripe is a close second. That doesnt mean I hate percs and occys. I love them too! It would be the platinum perc and the darwin occy (just two of the many that i love). Just love all the clowns xd.

2. Gobies - The derpiest fish on Earth. Just love their stupid little faces and the symbiosis with pistol shrimps (shrimp gobies). WIthin gobies, this is my list : a. Yasha Goby b. Engineer Goby c. Neon Goby

3. Angelfish - Again, I might not be able to keep these in the near future. But I love dwarf angels. The midnight dwarf angel, the flame angel, tibican angel, pygmy angel etc. I love the monstrous biggies too, the Koran, the emperor, cortez, scribbled and the west african. Ive come to learn a lot about saltwater fish over the past 5 months, and Ive started loving a lot too! But its a shame that i cant keep 90% of them :( maybe in the future, maybe.......

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My top three are:
Wrasse (Tied): Both variants of my lubbocki fairies are in my tank and thrive together, I can’t pick between just one though so it has to be both the Cebu and Indonesian variants.
Foxface: My magnificent foxface is my favourite fish in the tank but my second favourite is a VERY close tie, the two fairies are my third favourites.
Other (Tilefish!!): How can you forget the fish we all love and hate for their jumpiness? I love my flashing tilefish and have never seen so much character in such a small fish, even blennies can’t compare to these guys.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know tangs are very much loved , but why is it every time I buy a tang it’s like I just wiped my butt with a $50 bill ? they seem to be preloaded with diseases like Ick ! they just die for no reason even in an aquarium with algae in it . Tangs are too fragile and too expensive . the algae eating they’re supposed to be about I never see it and I always end up in the tank with my hands and a toothbrush doing what they’re supposed to do . Ranting here .
If you qurantine, you can keep any tang successfully ...that is as long as you provide a big enough tank for them.

Elliott ll

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone here should rethink Butterflyfish and add them to your tank... I have a Margined Coralfish, Copperband, and Yellow Longnose butterfly in my new reef tank. Their movements and abilities to fight aiptasia in a reef tank are very important. Their snouts are also able to clean between rockwork where no other fish can access. In my opinion you are really missing out without Butterflyfish...

If you ever have issues getting a Butterflyfish to feed all you need are some clams or cockles.

Would have to put Regal Angelfish and my baby Emperor Angelfish at #2 spot. Followed by the tangs at #3: Purple, Naso, Blue.

tank.jpg

Last edited:

randalli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 - Dragonets - fav: S Ocellatus - I love me those little creatures. They hop around in my tank like little dogs. They are friendly as hell and even though they are mostly grey/white the male can become a real colourful beauty within seconds. These fish don't need flashy colours to be beautiful
2 - Blennies - fav: E. Stigmatura & E. Bicolor - Those beautiful cheeky little jerks with their big eyes. Can you be mad at them? They always think they are the king in of the reef but really aren't. I just love when they lay around on their Monti-balcony and watch the tank like old people look out the window and watch the street all day
3 - Gobies - fav: Symbiotic Gobies - They are always on the lookout for their weaponised friend while looking bored as hell even when the Shrimp is pushing them around or almost burying them under sand. Their mouths are formed in a way that makes them look a bit ticked all the time. My Yellow Watchman is called "Jaque" because all he misses is a moustache and a hat while he constantly look like "Sacre bleu I don't like it here. Merde"

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I only have five fish total so I picked just one. Even though my other fish actually earn their keep (eating algae or pests) my yellow watchmen gobi is the only one who is a model citizen. He doesn’t steal food from coral or bully other fish. He just sits on his stoop all day looking after his shrimp and yells at anyone who gets to close.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided the tank is large enough, you cannot beat anthias for color, and tangs/rabbitfish for algae control. If forced to only pick from 3 types, those would be the ones.

DDMN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powder Blue Tang
Potters Angelfish
Mystery Wrasse

jmorignot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Beauty - I love its colors and character - He is the big boy
Diamond Watchman Goby - He is not the most beautiful, but I love the attitude - He is looking straight at you "You've got a problem?" and he keeps my white sand super clean. Really fun fish
6-Line Wrasse - He is the police officer of the tank. All my fish are semi-aggressive, he keeps everyone in check.

Hud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clownfish because what’s a reef tank without clowns

Tangs really any tang they are active, colorful, and have a lot of personality

Niger Triggerfish they have a dog like personality

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Regal Angel
2. Pyramid Butterfly
3. Pink Square Anthias
4. Asfur Angel
5. Copperband Butterfly
6. Sohal Tang
7. Emperor Angel
8. Flame Angel
9. Orchid Dottyback
10. Powder blue tang

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias, Wrasse, Dottyback.

I have never kept an Anthias so no real info on them. Wrasse and Dottyback are the same characters in my mind. Both can turn aggressive, both are vibrant, both live in and amongst the rocks.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back