The trick to keeping multiple tangs in the same tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Hippo, 2 yellow, and a kole tang. No signs of aggression and they are all over 2 years old. I used to have a convict (one of my favorite fish) but an auto feeder failed while I was away and it was attacked by my Hippo and killed.
Lesson learned... if relying on food to minimize aggression, get 2 auto feeders. I use both now when I travel.

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 yellows, 1 purple, 1 scopas, 1 yellow eye Kole, and a pair of hippos... and a gold spotted rabbitfish who seems to thinks it’s a tang. They all get along well in 650 gallon tank with the occasional chase. Thinking maybe a lavender and powder blue or Achilles but afraid powder blue/achilles will start killing off the others as get bigger.

D0661E750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 5 yellows, 1 purple, 1 scopas, 1 yellow eye Kole, and a pair of hippos... and a gold spotted rabbitfish who seems to thinks it’s a tang. They all get along well in 650 gallon tank with the occasional chase. Thinking maybe a lavender and powder blue or Achilles but afraid powder blue/achilles will start killing off the others as get bigger.
I believe it's possible, don't limit the possibility with your 650gal. Watch this

Roosterjack

Struttin’ and Cluckin’
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1C4FC5D9-66B1-4039-89EA-919D92BE2629.jpeg

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone currently have two purples? Thinking about that with a yellow and a gem
One of the BRS videos about keeping multiple tangs actually shows their tank wirh 2 Purple tangs. Also know someone from years ago when I was in UK with 2 purple tangs added together when very small and they got along well as they got bigger... so it’s possible but be ready to catch one out if not getting along

Peng1606

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it's possible, don't limit the possibility with your 650gal. Watch this

Nice tank... if it wasn’t going to be near impossible to catch out fish from my tank I would have put in powder blue and Achilles.. maybe even clown tang. But my rocks are huge 40-60lbs each with some hydraulic cement to secure them so once the fish go hide in between them will be hard to catch... have heard and seen cases where powder blues and Achilles tangs start killing other fish in the aquarium once they get to certain size.

gatekeeperdi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Purple yellow naso vlamingi blue hippo sohal sailfin black shoudler white ring tail orange shoulder chocolate 2 atlantic blues clown tang dussumieri maculiceps lieutenant a total of 17 tangs all get along they been together for 2 years
How big is your tank?

luceym

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Purple yellow naso vlamingi blue hippo sohal sailfin black shoudler white ring tail orange shoulder chocolate 2 atlantic blues clown tang dussumieri maculiceps lieutenant a total of 17 tangs all get along they been together for 2 years
In a 50 litre hahahaha only kidding, would love to see pictures

luceym

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently housing 2 purple tangs, for around 3-4 months now. I added the first about maybe 2 months prior to the second. the first tang was bigger. the big one gives chase to the smaller one sometimes, but they never draw swords and I Haven't seen any bullying marks or signs of distress.
All living in a 50 litre only kidding, i would love to see pictures!!!

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im doing 10 in a 6 ft125 ive bought all of them at the same time and am getting my shipment this weekend. They are all tiny aquacultured tangs about 2 inches long. 4 yellows, 4 purples, a hippo and a tomini im excited to see the school of them and i also have a seperate aquarium ready if things do not work out. I will remove the aggressor in case of and will try to reintroduce him after the others established. Im also adding 4 seaweed clips in my aquarium and will feed a lot three types of nori. I have 5 islands in my aquarium for territory reasons and didn't aquascape above the top half of the tank so they got at least a half of tank or more of open water to swim. I also have a good bit of hair algae growth as well. I have a cleaner shrimp station and some blue streak gobies as well.

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FAQ #28: Can I keep multiple tangs in the same aquarium?

Who else has had good luck keeping multiple tangs of the same species in their tank?

I was starting to get excited that @randyBRS as coming back..but alas, it was just a wish on a starless sky.

We miss you Randy.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im doing an aquarium that is going to have 11 maybe 12 tangs in it. I still considering the 12th with it being a Gem Tang. I know i have ordered 4 yellow tangs, 4 purple tangs, 1 hippo, 1 tomini tang, 1 Blonde Naso. So im considering ordering the gem tang right now i have all of the others besides the purples that came in. My Lfs is currently holding them all in different tanks throughout his store so im can add them all at the same time to my aquarium and they are all around 3 inches as of now

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a blonde Naso was one of the biggest lessons I've learned with tangs. They grow super fast and get big and wide. In less than a year mines gone from 3" to 6" he looks like like a giant next to my fully grown mimic, tomini, kole tangs. I wouldn't even consider one again unless I get an 8 ft. tank at some point. Six is too small for them in the long term. I knew when I got him I would eventually need to rehome him but I didn't expect it would be this fast.

Jwise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive gotten a spot my blonde naso if he gets to big for my current system where he can get as big as he wants and be happy
Adding a blonde Naso was one of the biggest lessons I've learned with tangs. They grow super fast and get big and wide. In less than a year mines gone from 3" to 6" he looks like like a giant next to my fully grown mimic, tomini, kole tangs. I wouldn't even consider one again unless I get an 8 ft. tank at some point. Six is too small for them in the long term. I knew when I got him I would eventually need to rehome him but I didn't expect it would be this fast.

Wilders reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently housing 2 purple tangs, for around 3-4 months now. I added the first about maybe 2 months prior to the second. the first tang was bigger. the big one gives chase to the smaller one sometimes, but they never draw swords and I Haven't seen any bullying marks or signs of distress.
what size tank?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back