The waterfall project

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all you DIY experts and custom aquarium manufacturers...Do you think this could work? I am guessing it will have to be a peninsula tank since it will have a much better view from the side rather than front.

Thinking about using 80/20 aluminum frames for the stand and the tanks should be around 50 gal each
Please let me know what you guys think

wf.jpg

Last edited:

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this be the thread for it? I wanna see this.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen this successfully done at a lfs in Bollingbrook IL looks cool, great concept, good luck!!

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this could work and be very cool. You'll need a sump under the stand to make sure there is enough volume to hold any water that will drain when the return pump is off. Also you might have a problem with salt spray from the splashing of the water so you'll need to keep up with that and possibly design it so it is easy to clean off and get back in the tank. In addition you might find that all of your livestock has migrated to the lower tank with no way to return to the upper tank - especially inverts. Not sure how to resolve that. Most tanks do need a top to prevent suicidal fish from jumping out but a top will detract from the overall beauty of the system. Always good to try new things though I hope you take this on!

OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this could work and be very cool. You'll need a sump under the stand to make sure there is enough volume to hold any water that will drain when the return pump is off. Also you might have a problem with salt spray from the splashing of the water so you'll need to keep up with that and possibly design it so it is easy to clean off and get back in the tank. In addition you might find that all of your livestock has migrated to the lower tank with no way to return to the upper tank - especially inverts. Not sure how to resolve that. Most tanks do need a top to prevent suicidal fish from jumping out but a top will detract from the overall beauty of the system. Always good to try new things though I hope you take this on!
That's exactly what I was worried about...thanks for your input

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a set of three frag tanks that overflowed one to the other. I gave up on the system because of salt spray. Now I just drill the higher tanks and run a 3/4" drain to the next lower one. It can be submerged and reduce the salt spray. It is also screened, as all the snails would migrate to the lowest tank.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen waterfall tanks work. I hope you follow this through. This is something that I would love to do.

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would put an clear acrylic skimmer gate with an adjustment screw. To prevent fish escaping and control flow. I would also use a clear acrylic top on both, that you can lift off easy. basically a piece that is almost as large as the tops, but sits on two supports and you lift it on and off. Bottom would have a notch obviously. Or make a hinged one that is clear and cut to fit.

I would also not have two tanks... unless you wanted seperate tanks. I would just give the appearance of two tanks, while having a hole in the middle of the acrylic divider, with rock work on both sides. It would appear to be two separate tanks. But the fish would use the middle hidden hole to swim back and forth. If this is acrylic you could use two seperate tanks by drilling a whole on each, matching them up perfect and using an acrylic tube to connect them. Then just hide it on both sides with rock work, or a custom made Styrofoam insert on both sides.

I will get on MS paint and draw a very poor picture if I did not explain that well.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the idea and I think it is possible. I would agree that a mesh will be needed between the tanks to prevent animals from moving to the lower tank.

OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the mesh idea, also I was thinking that a nice aquascape on the bottom tank reaching close to the top tank is mandatory to reduce the amount of micro bubble created from the water falling straight into bottom tank.

dorky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like the concept but just remember that it will not be quiet with all that water splashing and plus are you okay dealing with the two glass tank bonding together and have to consider the fl0w esp in the second tank but good concept tho

pondman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would really need a fail proof drain that's for sure. I like the concept though. Maybe the bottom tank build a egg rate frame to set your rockwork to then let water spill over a small flat rock it may break up the sound of the water crashing into next tank.good luck in your build if you go through with it.

OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would really need a fail proof drain that's for sure. I like the concept though. Maybe the bottom tank build a egg rate frame to set your rockwork to then let water spill over a small flat rock it may break up the sound of the water crashing into next tank.good luck in your build if you go through with it.
Agree, would need a rather oversized sump and probably go with smaller tanks. Not sure 2 cubes are going to work unless I reduce the height

OP
OP
Brian Kim

Brian Kim

Color My Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol buddy, I'm not sure if I will have time to work on this project till March, picking up a custom built 5' tank tonight

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 56 24.8%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 59 26.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 54 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 53 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back