The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe me I know, I lost one these bad boys about 7yrs ago to jumping out. The Flame Wrasse I just got was hand picked by LFS so its the best of the bunch!

+1 for sure and they find even the smallest opening even some that may be just too small and then get stuck in it and can get back in the water ... Some are relentless as wanting out for no apparent reason most of the time ... they just like to jump ... Those tanks withe European type build with the horizontal ledges on the inside that they fall on and slide back in the tank may work as long as those ledges are wide enough ... but still a cover is IME better, as long as it does not shield the light too much if it is needed for what else is in the tank.

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updated pics of a few of our wrasses...

C. earlei male:

M. bipartitus male aka "Count Wrasscula II"

And The Count's Lady:

M. kuiteri:

The smaller of our two Rhomboids:

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...Really want an angulatus flasher next, but never see them for sale. How reef safe is thy elegant coris wrasse? I absolutely love that pic posted by brad syphus...don't see any available except one sight selling what they call an elegant coris wrasse but it doesn't look anything like it.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Checkout LiveAquaria's Diver's Den. They have one available here. We acquired ours from LA Diver's Den last year.

-Terry

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though Im prepared to have to pull the female when it starts transitioning to male. What wrasse would you add to replace it?
There's a small chance it won't happen, and even if it does they usually work it out if the tank is large enough. But if you do remove one of the males, there's lots of options for replacement, with a few to avoid.

Would you have to pull it or could you add other wrasse to distract the pair from each other?
If they're locking jaws or ripping each other fins, there's no amount of distraction which will stop that behavior. But there is a fair chance they could establish their own territories amongst the tank and tolerate each other, assuming the tank is large.

+1 for sure and they find even the smallest opening even some that may be just too small and then get stuck in it and can get back in the water.
+1

Some are relentless as wanting out for no apparent reason most of the time ... they just like to jump ...
There's plenty of reason: instinct. These fish live at a significant depth. If there isn't a near hiding spot, the natural direction of evasion for them is up. The tank's surface just happening to be less than two feet away from them isn't natural.

Those tanks withe European type build with the horizontal ledges on the inside that they fall on and slide back in the tank may work as long as those ledges are wide enough ... but still a cover is IME better, as long as it does not shield the light too much if it is needed for what else is in the tank.
Not a chance I'd ever rely on euro-bracing to keem them in; they're very capable of jumping right past that and onto the floor. A 1/4" clear mesh top is the only way to go when keeping any wrasse, and has an insignificant effect on PAR.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checkout LiveAquaria's Diver's Den. They have one available here. We acquired ours from LA Diver's Den last year.

-Terry
doh! I totally misread the latin on this the first time around; I saw "attenuatus". Editing my prior post now.

Mike&Terry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pics, Brett! Your Earlei is growing up!

-Terry

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Terry, he's getting pretty big. I love all your pictures too.

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great pictures Brett, Mike and Terry. Super jealous of both of your fishes. I miss my wrasses . I only have 3 C fairies.

015-2.jpg

022copy-1.jpg

046-2.jpg

026-3.jpg

463041_4582858607323_193356242_o.jpg

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that so many of all the Pics posted look stunning and I am pleasantly surprised that all of you are keeping such a great variety of them ... Great for all of you and thanks for posting all those pictures, images, tank views, and so on. A joy and pleasure to look at and look at again !
ALBERT

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few of mine. I am totally addicted to Cirrhilabrus wrasses.

Rhomboid Fairy wrasse: (I have a pair of these)

DSC_6721_zpsb54f1003.jpg

DSC_6718_zpse5c61cfe.jpg

DSC_4347.jpg

Labouti Fairy Wrasse: (I have a trio of these)

DSC_6699_zpsf2cf6873.jpg

DSC_6688_zpsca5af674.jpg

DSC_6675_zpsd7763652.jpg

Lineatus Fairy Wrasse: (I have a pair of these guys as well.)

DSC_6673_zps40312603.jpg

DSC_6720_zps82eb83fb.jpg

DSC_6671_zps3c20b6d2.jpg

Exquisite fairy wrasse: (had a pair, but lost the male back in February).

DSC_6706_zpsa4723c15.jpg

DSC_6693_zpsd6a80903.jpg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back