The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I LOVE WRASSES......I want a flame very badly.....
Just make sure the tank is completely covered with 1/4" mesh, or you will eventually have a resentful wallet. :)

Yep he has a little container of sand in the corner, I spend 5min everyday cleaning up the mess he makes with it.
1smile1

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that would open up a lot of options for adding more great looking ones for sure ... And the C exquisitus would be a super find ... Here is a link you may or may not have seen : The diversity and forms of Cirrhilabrus exquisitus

Well the upgrade is coming sooner rather than later. I'm going to be jumping up from a 120 to a 315 in about two weeks. :) I'm thinking about getting one or two female rhomboids to see if that will cause my male to color up. Has anyone ever tried that? I'm thinking now would be the time to do it while I'm making the change.

jasonrodreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My little lady...No wrasse is grander than this. I recently sold her but i had her for about 3 years YES LEGALLY Such a wonderful animal nothing like a normal fish. I open my hand under water and she would come over so i can scratch her sides and head. If in a bad mood she would swim over and give you a push like when tangs are fighting each other "tail whips" Spits water at you when she is hungry and will follow you around all day. I use to bet my friends that if i took this fish to the beach and let her go it would follow you around. My second favorite fish I have ever owned so so smart hand feed everyday and if you forget to feed she will let you know.

Attachments

• D5100 050.jpg
    D5100 050.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,047

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the upgrade is coming sooner rather than later. I'm going to be jumping up from a 120 to a 315 in about two weeks. :) I'm thinking about getting one or two female rhomboids to see if that will cause my male to color up. Has anyone ever tried that? I'm thinking now would be the time to do it while I'm making the change.

Rhomboid is one of the species that tends to lose color absent of females, so yes it should work but I'd make sure to use an acclimation box when adding the females or give the male a time out. It's generally a good idea to add females at the same time or even first. IMO rhomboids are amazing even when they are dull,

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks my thought was to isolate my male rhomboid in a separate tank while I let the female establish itself in the new tank for a week or two. I'm thinking about doing the same thing with my male lineatus.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should work, be careful with a female lineatus they can be pretty nasty.

chort55

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSCN5751_zps976f3319.jpg

DSCN3624_zps3c9a7606.jpg

DSCN3587_zps73952b4b.jpg

DSCN3619_zps4538337c.jpg

DSCN3591_zps5d31eb28.jpg

DSCN2394_zps89239089.jpg

DSCN2373_zpsb7fdfd7d.jpg

I definitely like my wrasses.... if only I could get them to sit still lol

I ended up losing the Yellowtail flasher shortly after adding it, it was fairly shy and eventually just withered away inside its hiding spot :(. So I added 3 more wrasses (total of 7 now)...

DSCN4613_zps28543101.jpg

DSCN4611_zps3f5e703b.jpg

DSCN4610_zpsd3d5fb36.jpg

A Ornate Leopard Wrasse (leopard total is at 4 now), and what was supposed to be a pair of Hooded Fairy Wrasses, however the female seems to be going male so hopefully they will place nicely!

Last edited:

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live this thread, simply amazing photos and people's collections are insane. Wrasses are clearly my favorite fish for a bunch of reasons, ease of care, small size, appetite for undesirables, ability to house all different kinds together, their activeness, social behavior, awesome and diverse colors and patterns...they are just awesome fish.

How are you guys able to get such great pics of them, my never sit still enough to get a decent photo but I'm just using my iPhone. My collection is rather dismal at the moment,

Yellow coris
Melanarus
Radiant wrasse

Really want an angulatus flasher next, but never see them for sale. How reef safe is thy elegant coris wrasse? I absolutely love that pic posted by brad syphus...don't see any available except one sight selling what they call an elegant coris wrasse but it doesn't look anything like it.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
be careful with a female lineatus they can be pretty nasty.
Indeed!

How are you guys able to get such great pics of them, my never sit still enough to get a decent photo but I'm just using my iPhone.
A DSLR with a fast shutter, and for every shot that turns out there's 50 deleted.

Really want an angulatus flasher next, but never see them for sale.
No offense, but good luck with that. The legality of their collection in their known regions is questionable. The small handful which have ever made it stateside are usually collected in neighboring regions alongside McCoskers, and divers that don't know much better throw them back as a "bad" McCoskers. If a decent number ever land at one of the online retailers, you'll be fighting with the best of us to snipe them. :D
*Edit*: Scratch that; I totally read P. attenuatus rather than P. angulatus. My appologies. Mike & Terry suggestion of trying Diver's Den to nab one of these (here; next page) is in fact your best bet.

How reef safe is thy elegant coris wrasse? I absolutely love that pic posted by brad syphus...don't see any available except one sight selling what they call an elegant coris wrasse but it doesn't look anything like it.
While it's a Coris wrasse it's one of the smaller ones and isn't detrimental to all your inverts. Hawaiian endemic, so contacting one of the Hawaiian retailers (ie Pacific Island Aquatics) is your best shot. The males and females are starkly different in appearance.

Last edited:

Mike S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up on the female lineatus. I'll forgo getting one.

jasonrodreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you guys able to get such great pics of them, my never sit still enough to get a decent photo but I'm just using my iPhone. My collection is rather dismal at the moment,

Like evolved said but 50 pics is low..just kidding I take tons and tons of pictures to get the right one. Photography is part of the hobby as well if you want to share with others online.
I use to shoot nikon F4 film camera not for aquariums and my new digi is great..Why wouldnt you take thousands of pictures if you do not have to get them developed. Delete and start over
Trick i use alot is taking pictures with lights out at night, fish cant see you but you can see them. Wrasses are another story at night but try it with other fish..Snap a picture so the flash goes then fish perk right up and are mostly still..take 10 20 30 pictures i bet 1 will be perfect.. My napoleon picture is great but there are 15 others just like it but not good enough. I have 3 hard drives worth of pictures 550gigs worth 1-2gigs are perfect rest is just for learning. The more pictures you take the better you get just like anything else but a picture tells 1000 words and terrible pictures do too. Id rather not share a picture if it doesn't look good. Like showing a coral that is kidda ok but is half dead I would rather not bother.

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just make sure the tank is completely covered with 1/4" mesh, or you will eventually have a resentful wallet. :)

1smile1

Believe me I know, I lost one these bad boys about 7yrs ago to jumping out. The Flame Wrasse I just got was hand picked by LFS so its the best of the bunch!

mnat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For pictures I use a DSLR in "active mode" (quickens the shutter time, meant to take pictures of things in motion), and use the setting where I just hold down the shutter and it fires off a series of photos. In one session I might take 200-300 pictures and then narrow it down to maybe 5 depending on how many fish I am taking pictures of (In other words I generally will want just one really good pic or each fish, so I will keep going back and forth until I have that one pic of the lineatus wrasse, and then the one pic of the earlie). Take your time and enjoy.

poomba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a pair of Flame Wrasse coming!!!!!!!!!!!

So excited. Though Im prepared to have to pull the female when it starts transitioning to male. What wrasse would you add to replace it?

rockinzebra457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you have to pull it or could you add other wrasse to distract the pair from each other?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For pictures I use a DSLR in "active mode" (quickens the shutter time, meant to take pictures of things in motion), and use the setting where I just hold down the shutter and it fires off a series of photos. In one session I might take 200-300 pictures and then narrow it down to maybe 5 depending on how many fish I am taking pictures of (In other words I generally will want just one really good pic or each fish, so I will keep going back and forth until I have that one pic of the lineatus wrasse, and then the one pic of the earlie). Take your time and enjoy.
Must be a nice camera .... nice shots and of course with that kind of a # a good amount of them to choose from ... nice !

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back