Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do water changes when the lights are on and the fish are out? :dizzy:
LOLOLOL

Thanks for the info! I know better than to dig in after him. That sure is a long time to go without food.:squigglemouth:

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is ok picture with my phone at LFS here in Madison Wisconsin. Its the biggest and nicest looking Earmuff Wrasse I've ever seen. Its got to be 6" long.
6a6yny2y.jpg

2azujeva.jpg

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is ok picture with my phone at LFS here in Madison Wisconsin. Its the biggest and nicest looking Earmuff Wrasse I've ever seen. Its got to be 6" long.
They can get even larger. Max recorded size is around 9".

My wrasses see a giant siphon tube and think it is their to murder them. So they go in the sand.
Then I'd keep an eye on where they go, and avoid those areas.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to trade a coral beauty angel in to my LFS and was thinking about having them order me another wrasse. I was thinking about a line spot wrasse or black leopard wrasse. My current list of wrasses is

Yellow coris
Radiant
Melanarus
Angulatus

Is the angulatus going to be aggressive towards the line spot if that is what I got? I had two male line spot flashers together a few years ago and they got along fine, but I have seen wrasse aggression first hand with a sixline and would never wish that on any fish. So want to check. Also, I read it is best to add leopards in pairs or trios? Is this true, and why? I have a 150 gallon with a ton of rock, and a dedicated 30 gallon fuge loaded with millions of critters...lately I've been having what I think are pod blooms (little white specks blowing around during the day that aren't there at night). I do have a mandarin but I'm pretty sure my tank could support a leopard wrasse or two or seven (sarcastic on the seven). Looking for some solid advice from the seasoned aquarists and experts.

Wish it cold be an attenuatus, but we know about that guy. Also been looking at red head halichoeris lately, seem like a beautiful fish but expensive and problematic, or are they considered easier now? What is difficult about them, aren't they halechoeres?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They sleep and hide under the sand so that is probably where your male is. It is not uncommon for them to hide for a few days to a week after being introduced to a new tank. Just give it time and he will come out as he gets comfortable.
Indeed not uncommon at all but it can "scare" those who are not familiar with that behavior and how some of their sleeping patterns are or can be ...

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll attack this one in pieces; answers in blue.
I need to trade a coral beauty angel in to my LFS and was thinking about having them order me another wrasse. I was thinking about a line spot wrasse or black leopard wrasse. My current list of wrasses is

Yellow coris
Radiant
Melanarus
Angulatus

Is the angulatus going to be aggressive towards the line spot if that is what I got? Reading ahead, the tank is large enough to diminish most aggression. Use an acclmiation box on the new flasher, and you should be just fine. I had two male line spot flashers together a few years ago and they got along fine, but I have seen wrasse aggression first hand with a sixline (typical of most Pseudocheilinus) and would never wish that on any fish. So want to check. Also, I read it is best to add leopards in pairs or trios? News to me... Is this true, and why? No truth that I'm aware of. In fact, sometimes a male leopard won't tolerate any other leopard in the tank, including conspecific females. (ie - he'll kill them) I have a 150 gallon with a ton of rock, and a dedicated 30 gallon fuge loaded with millions of critters...lately I've been having what I think are pod blooms (little white specks blowing around during the day that aren't there at night). I do have a mandarin but I'm pretty sure my tank could support a leopard wrasse or two or seven (sarcastic on the seven). It's a matter of population density, but do note a leopard will eat them much faster than a dragonet can. Looking for some solid advice from the seasoned aquarists and experts.

Wish it cold be an attenuatus, but we know about that guy. Many people waiting for that day. Also been looking at red head halichoeris lately, seem like a beautiful fish but expensive and problematic, or are they considered easier now? Not really. What is difficult about them, aren't they halechoeres? Halichoeres, yes. H. rubricephalus. Just because fish have a common genus, doesn't mean the care of particular species is identical. They're sensitive and can stress easily; something that can never change. Just like M. choati will always be a tough one to keep, so will this one. Also note, males loose the bright coloration on the head in absence of any females.

Last edited:

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish it cold be an attenuatus, but we know about that guy.

I dream of that day, well it's turned into a nightmare haha. Wanna see me and Hunter wrestle over a fish?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty fish, I've never owned owned one though. Reminds me a lot of a Melanarus

imsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We love our Dragon Wrasse.

Attachments

• 1372094697407.jpg
    1372094697407.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 704

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cute as always as a juvi, but I hope you know what to expect from an adult and why one of it's common names is the Rock Mover Wrasse.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys feed your flasher wrasses multiple times a day?

Edit: I guess I should rephrase to what I mean, is it required to feed flasher wrasses multiple times a day like anthias?

Last edited:

Connie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up to 2-3 weeks is possible. Do NOT go digging through the sand looking for him at any point during this time.

If another fish was picking on them, that would cause them to keep going back into the sand, not necessarily stay in the sand for a longer period. This initial hide is simply a rest and recovery period from the environmental change, transition stress, shipping stress, etc.

Well during my flashlight observation this morning, I noticed my male melanurus out of the sand, but he was laying on his side, barely breathing. I thought maybe he was playing dead like the female had done. Thirty minutes later I went to check on him and he had died and the hermits were on top of him:sad:. Of course I took him out. He didn't have a scratch on him anywhere. Still a perfect looking fish. No one was picking on him, so I guess it was the stress of shipping.
_DSC0009.jpg

Last edited:

alberthiel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well during my flashlight observation this morning, I noticed my male melanurus out of the sand, but he was laying on his side, barely breathing. I thought maybe he was playing dead like the female had done. Thirty minutes later I went to check on him and he had died and the hermits were on top of him:sad:. Of course I took him out. He didn't have a scratch on him anywhere. Still a perfect looking fish. No one was picking on him, so I guess it was the stress of shipping.
_DSC0009.jpg

Sorry for your loss but yes many Wrasse are so stressed from shipping from exporter to the wholesaler to the pet store that they unfortunately do not make it, that is why I always ask how long a particular fish I am interested in has been at the store where I see it and if it is a wrasse, I will not buy it unless it is a least for one week or more and looks healthy and feeds, and I want the store to show me that it does .... Also sometimes real long acclimating is necessary before putting it in your tank. FWIW

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%

Back