The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was a decent sized worm!
I finally decided to restart my old sump which has been sitting unattached since December. Wanted to clean it out first though. Absolutely teaming with the things. There were much bigger ones but could not get them out of this filter.

Attachments

• IMG_0724.jpeg
    IMG_0724.jpeg
    238.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0723.jpeg
    IMG_0723.jpeg
    350 KB · Views: 20

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to know this. A lot of stores etc will run their fish only an QT tanks at 1.018. If you dump the fish in the DT at 1.026 that would not be a good thing.
No it was my qt tank not the stores. It started with my dt tank water and I maintained salinity and stuff. I just don’t know if salinity increased in the qt and the dt was lower on the day I transferred him.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Playing hide and seek with the bird wrasse and my camera. Hiding behind some furniture and trying not to move is having mixed success. Here are some quick snapshots. Hopefully will have forgiven me for cleaning (some) of the glass tomorrow.

Should I call her Squidward? She certainly likes his house.
IMG_4652.jpeg

IMG_4647.jpeg

Last edited:

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i can't think, I took a better photo of the roseafascia.

He's probably the most aggressive Cirrhilabrus in the system, occasionally gives chase to the jordani, but nothing too crazy. Added him after the lineatus and the jordani and I believe that may have helped in terms of the hierarchy and keeping the aggression fairly minimal. I would consider the sequencing and size of the system with regards to this species with others in the genus.
BW5A0856.jpg

A couple of my other favorite Cirrhilabrus, both added after the roseafascia

Earlei
BW5A0561.jpg

Johnsoni, young male (probably my favorite from the genus in terms of personality). Really like the behavior of these fish as terminal males
1710633596040.png

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it was my qt tank not the stores. It started with my dt tank water and I maintained salinity and stuff. I just don’t know if salinity increased in the qt and the dt was lower on the day I transferred him.
So unlikely a big salinity change issue. Would really have to be 4 points or more off. Was this treated with 30 days copperpower or similar. As @Crabby48 has found that some wrasses start to go downhill after 3 weeks. Happened with my magma. I would also consider a strike injury with wrasse dropped i to new environment. Different lighting and feeding routines that could spook a new wrasse.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@i can't think, I took a better photo of the roseafascia.

He's probably the most aggressive Cirrhilabrus in the system, occasionally gives chase to the jordani, but nothing too crazy. Added him after the lineatus and the jordani and I believe that may have helped in terms of the hierarchy and keeping the aggression fairly minimal. I would consider the sequencing and size of the system with regards to this species with others in the genus.
BW5A0856.jpg

A couple of my other favorite Cirrhilabrus, both added after the roseafascia

Earlei
BW5A0561.jpg

Johnsoni, young male (probably my favorite from the genus in terms of personality). Really like the behavior of these fish as terminal males
1710633596040.png
I think the “love” emoji should be automatically attached to all of your photos.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pics by any means, but he's still slinking around the rockwork in quarantine. Zero aggression between him and any of the other wrasses in there so far. Already eating with the other fish, which is good sign in my experience. Seems much bolder than the chaliasi and filamentosus were when they were first introduced.

Cirrhilabrus ryukyuensis

20240316_213933.jpg
20240316_213938.jpg
20240316_213939.jpg
20240316_213940.jpg

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the best pics by any means, but he's still slinking around the rockwork in quarantine. Zero aggression between him and any of the other wrasses in there so far. Already eating with the other fish, which is good sign in my experience. Seems much bolder than the chaliasi and filamentosus were when they were first introduced.

Cirrhilabrus ryukyuensis

20240316_213933.jpg
20240316_213938.jpg
20240316_213939.jpg
20240316_213940.jpg
What level of quaritine do you do? I'm wondering if I should do more than two doses of prazi.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What level of quaritine do you do? I'm wondering if I should do more than two doses of prazi.
These are in cupramine at 0.5mg/L and will remain at that for 30 days roughly. Some of the fish in here have been in here for a while (like the ornate leopard and possum wrasse, the clowns, and the cardinals) and have been at that level for about 4 months. They get prazi once weekly for 3 doses whenever a new fish gets added, along with 7 days of rally pro since I've had repeated issues with brooklynella hitching a ride in from multiple LFS in my area. I usually do at least 1 dose of levamisole as well.

Probably won't be adding any more fish to this group any time soon, so won't have to restart the quarantine period again. Only picked up this guy and a lemonpeel angel today because the dusky wrasse I bought last weekend died within 48 hrs (acted fine the first 2 days day, then was dead on the bottom the next morning). Went with my parents to help them find some nice fancy goldfish, some rainbowfish, and some angels for their freshwater aquariums I helped them setup and maintain, and stumbled across this and the lemonpeel while fish store hopping (hit up 6 different shops today).

Hoping to get the 100 gallon running and move everyone over in the next few weeks. I need to paint the dining room before I can get it running, and want to have the tank set up and going before our baby is born (wifey is currently 29 weeks pregnant).

areefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank relatively new and only has a couple of small clowns. It's 3'x3' (IM 112) lagoon. I'm looking to add some peaceful wrasses. Specifically:
- McCosker's Flasher
- Carpenter Flasher
- Ruby Longfin Fairy

I would add them together from Dr. Reefs.

From what I've read, I think they should get along. Is that correct? Any issue with 3 wrasses in a 3'x3' tank?

Thanks.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank relatively new and only has a couple of small clowns. It's 3'x3' (IM 112) lagoon. I'm looking to add some peaceful wrasses. Specifically:
- McCosker's Flasher
- Carpenter Flasher
- Ruby Longfin Fairy

From what I've read, I think they should get along. Is that correct? Any issue with 3 wrasses in a 3'x3' tank?

Thanks.
They should get along great. Just a heads up though that Dr Reef has a bad reputation for sending the wrong fish. Everything I’ve gotten from him has been healthy but don’t expect to get the exact fish you ordered.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
- McCosker's Flasher
- Carpenter Flasher
- Ruby Longfin Fairy

Thanks.
They should get along great. Just a heads up though that Dr Reef has a bad reputation for sending the wrong fish. Everything I’ve gotten from him has been healthy but don’t expect to get the exact fish you ordered.
And by exact he means it may be a completely different species.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. What happens if he sends the wrong fish?
He’s usually good about it and it’s usually a similar fish that is just as good. Just share photos of what you got here. You may get lucky but you could get something more aggressive than what you bought. The worst was when he sent out lunare wrasse instead of melanurus to multiple people.

Steven C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unlikely a big salinity change issue. Would really have to be 4 points or more off. Was this treated with 30 days copperpower or similar. As @Crabby48 has found that some wrasses start to go downhill after 3 weeks. Happened with my magma. I would also consider a strike injury with wrasse dropped i to new environment. Different lighting and feeding routines that could spook a new wrasse.
Hmm I don’t think it was that many points off. It was definitely close to 30 days of Fritz copper. In qt he showed zero signs of sickness. He was in good spirits. One thing did happen I just remembered my automatic light timer malfunctioned that day. The light was on all night and I turned it off early morning to give the fish some relief so he was cocooned later then usual. Other then that nothing different when I dropped him in a smooth calm swim under the cave.

ReefGiant

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking wrasses! I’d love to add a wrasse to my tank but is pretty small (20g). Maybe a 6 line would work but I worry about aggression towards the other fish in such a small tank.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.2%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.5%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 53 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back