The Wrasse Lover's Thread!

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a perfect world, this would be the ideal situation...
Because when folks first catch a glimpse of them flash, they’re hooked!
NYA has a couple attenuatus now. Only $800. :) DD has had some recently for less. They are the best looking flasher by a mile. Hate when I lost mine.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of them. Both males. They are great Fish.
That pic definitely does do them justice

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hooded fairy wrasse keeps attacking my female cinnamon Clownfish. The clownfish is getting stressed out, trying to hide in the corner now, and has visible marks where the wrasse attacked. Has anyone had issues like this before from a fairy wrasse attacking clownfish? I think I'm going to have to try to isolate him. He also chases my crescent tail fairy sometimes but he is too fast for him to catch.

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c10e9a5c8443e6b725c715a29364468c.jpg

How hard are these wrasses to take care of? Any input is appreciated...

Thanks

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

Its male Anampses Chrysocephalus . One of my most favorite fishes and I have a female along with other Macropharyngodon and Halichoeres .
Its care is the same as other Macropharyngodon species . Definitely needs a sand bed , frequent feeding is better . I feed my acro dominated tank like 4-5 times a day and replenish pods in it every 2 months which keeps them healthy and fat .

Its difficult to get them to eat at first and live BBS , pods , blackworms might be necessary. Ofcoarse everything goes in main tank after strict quarantine of 45-60 days . These generally suffer from internal parasites and hence qt is must and also allows them to get fatter and get accustomed to your food once in qt for 45 days .

Overall difficult compared to fairies and flashers but to me all the effort is worth the beauty .

Lastly, I have found that Anampses, Macrophryngdons do well at lower temparatures like 75-76 . I run my tank now at 76 although with halides things get really difficult to control !

@eatbreakfast can give you wayy better pointers than I do ! I must have missed some .

Regards,
Abhishek

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its male Anampses Chrysocephalus . One of my most favorite fishes and I have a female along with other Macropharyngodon and Halichoeres .
Its care is the same as other Macropharyngodon species . Definitely needs a sand bed , frequent feeding is better . I feed my acro dominated tank like 4-5 times a day and replenish pods in it every 2 months which keeps them healthy and fat .

Its difficult to get them to eat at first and live BBS , pods , blackworms might be necessary. Ofcoarse everything goes in main tank after strict quarantine of 45-60 days . These generally suffer from internal parasites and hence qt is must and also allows them to get fatter and get accustomed to your food once in qt for 45 days .

Overall difficult compared to fairies and flashers but to me all the effort is worth the beauty .

Lastly, I have found that Anampses, Macrophryngdons do well at lower temparatures like 75-76 . I run my tank now at 76 although with halides things get really difficult to control !

@eatbreakfast can give you wayy better pointers than I do ! I must have missed some .

Regards,
Abhishek

That was absolutely helpful...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hooded fairy wrasse keeps attacking my female cinnamon Clownfish. The clownfish is getting stressed out, trying to hide in the corner now, and has visible marks where the wrasse attacked. Has anyone had issues like this before from a fairy wrasse attacking clownfish? I think I'm going to have to try to isolate him. He also chases my crescent tail fairy sometimes but he is too fast for him to catch.
I've never had a fairy wrasse go after clowns. It's especially surprising because I have found hooded fairy wrasses to be some of the more peaceful wrasses and cinnamon clowns to be one of the more assertive. But each fish has their own personality.

Thanks

Regards,
Abhishek
@Abhishek nailed most of the points. I have also found that collected males last a few months and then suddenly waste away. Collected males also pace the glass. It also seems they do much better with stable kh.

I personally have tried collected males a few times with the same result as described above. Though currently I have a male that I had as a small female that transitioned in my tank a little over a month ago, so I'm hoping that males that transition in captivity fare better than collected males.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had a fairy wrasse go after clowns. It's especially surprising because I have found hooded fairy wrasses to be some of the more peaceful wrasses and cinnamon clowns to be one of the more assertive. But each fish has their own personality.

@Abhishek nailed most of the points. I have also found that collected males last a few months and then suddenly waste away. Collected males also pace the glass. It also seems they do much better with stable kh.

I personally have tried collected males a few times with the same result as described above. Though currently I have a male that I had as a small female that transitioned in my tank a little over a month ago, so I'm hoping that males that transition in captivity fare better than collected males.

Excellant point @eatbreakfast ! Also I found that large males do not ship well . I tried twice and both times they arrived DOA .
I would get smaller female and hope that in future it can turn male .thats what am doing now anyways .

Regards,
Abhishek

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellant point @eatbreakfast ! Also I found that large males do not ship well . I tried twice and both times they arrived DOA .
I would get smaller female and hope that in future it can turn male .thats what am doing now anyways .

Regards,
Abhishek
I was just about to say that most Anampses are notoriously bad shippers. Makes it an uphill battle from the start a lot of times.

d-man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Leahfish sell it to me, lol. Nice and fat. I had one but it slowly lost weight and died despite rds of prazipro and metro food treatments. I suspect cyanide use in catching them. I know three other people from the same shipment who had the same issue

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 61 55.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back